driving in on the day

garry1013

We are staying in Davenport near Orlando for a week before we are taking in a cruise out of Miami which sails at 16.00 are we crazy even thinking about driving down the same day or should we travel down the day before and stay in a hotel:confused:

Its not crazy. Providing nothing goes wrong with your car or long delays on the highway, yes you certainly can drive without worry of missing the boat like the previous poster says. You aren't that far. Just leave early so you don't feel rushed.

When we fly, we always choose to arrive the day before. Just makes for the day of boarding more relaxed and rested.

Edited by eandj

We are staying in Davenport near Orlando for a week before we are taking in a cruise out of Miami which sails at 16.00 are we crazy even thinking about driving down the same day or should we travel down the day before and stay in a hotel:confused:

There is a risk involved in driving down the same day your cruise departs. If you car comfortable with that risk (e.g. mechanical problems with your car, flat tire, accidents on the road, delays because of "wrong turns"), then do so. We always prefer to drive the day before, stay in a hotel and have a stress-free morning before boarding.

Leave really early in case of problems, it will give you that window of time if you were to have car problems or there was a major traffic delay (which can happen in Southern Florida if there is an accident).

I'd want to make sure I had a GPS too, that way if there was an accident you could re-route without getting lost.

I'd want to make sure I had a GPS too, that way if there was an accident you could re-route without getting lost.

If using a GPS, keep the maps up to date. I was with a friend on the interstate when his GPS told him to make "an immediate U-turn" :eek:. Turns out the road had been realigned, and where the interstate is now was where a frontage road used to be. He said he hadn't ever updated the maps.