Voyage of the Vikings - Veranda weather?

wander

Debating on whether to get a Veranda or Outside window cabin for the Voyage of the Vikings cruise.

I have cruised very happily in both Veranda cabins and outside cabins. I am well aware of the general pluses for a Veranda (view, handy, wonderful for relaxing, a larger view of the sea/land, etc.) and an outside window cabin (price).

My Question - looking at the average annual temperatures for many of our ports in August and September makes me wonder how much I will really use the veranda. On a typical sea day in the South Pacific I am on the veranda many hours - reading, resting, watching the sea go buy, getting a tan, etc. However, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and even northern Canada and Ireland are hardly the same weather as the South Pacific.

Any opinions with reasons would be appreciated. I am really trying to convince myself that the extra cost will be worth it, while at the same time I am saying - no it will not be.

We did the VotV in an outside cabin and were perfectly happy. As you said, much of the time the weather was not conducive to hanging around outdoors for long. There are plenty of open areas for taking photos, watching wildlife, etc.

When we did the VotV aboard the Maasdam, the bow area was opened for the fjords in Norway, Prince Christian Sound in Greenland and some other ports as well. It's a wonderful cruise, but if you can live without a verandah, I'd save the cash.

I am on the next Voyage of the Vikings and had the same question. I decided to split the difference and get a Lanai room. If bad or cold weather - no problem. IF warm weather - I get a lounger with lots of people walking by to greet.

Seriously, I wanted to be able to quickly get outdoors to take pictures. I know some say the Lanai rooms are smaller but since I sail solo, it doesn't concern me.

We have done the VOV twice in inside cabins. The weather was cool but still nice enough to sit out (if you like cool weather). We sat out on the promenade deck quite a bit in sweatshirts. If you get the misty weather you may not use it. You may really enjoy Prince Christian Sund sitting on your verandah.

You will have a fantastic time no matter which cabin you are in. Enjoy the cruise.