July 2, Silver Shadow, Seward to Vancouver

WinWin

We continue to have the good fortune of excellent weather. Our visit to Ketchikan on July 7th was very enjoyable. The town is very charming. We are only in port for the afternoon so we made the most of our visit. We walked up to Creek Street to see if the salmon were present yet. I am reporting that the salmon are running late this year. Thus we did not see any. We did enjoy our walk around town. I was then off to my excursion which was a float plane ride through the Misty Fjords. It was a very enjoyable flight over such a beautiful area. We landed briefly T Rudyard Bay and was able to step out of the plane onto the pontoon for a view and a few pictures.

a381a4d8eebd86c6c1803b68ae2a024b.jpgfa120516a660e877a5ad18da051846ae.jpg1b1a4e0fd7a5302361d0fb86c4678fdd.jpg

15360d61815cdd0a887f69e40af6c574.jpg

504e82cf5a3834a3d1021c2ad6e02b03.jpg

ad379204b4ff934de19d44df0a49569f.jpg

We had good day at sea yesterday. The weather was sunny and the seas smooth. It was a relaxing day on board. Leslie and I took it easy in the morning. We enjoyed eating breakfast while just watching the sea. We had lunch with friends inThe Restaurant. It was a lovely lunch with a table by the windows. We have had excellent service all across the Silver Shadow all week. The staff in every location were always cordial and attentive. Note that I picked up from a previous post about befriending the sommelier early in the cruise. I made a point to do so. However, this group probably would have provided the service anyway. However, I enjoyed getting to know them early on. They were more than willing to meet our request both at lunch and dinner for a wine more to our taste that was included in the package without hesitation. In addition, I have come to appreciate a ruby port with dessert. I became a fan after a trip to Oporto Portugal and the Duoro River Valley last year where we toured a port winery. It was there that my very limited knowledge of port wines was expanded. I learned about the white port which is partaken as an aperitif. Then ruby port of which my understanding is that there is a vintage ( reserve) as well as a late bottled vintage. Of course there is tawny port. There are additional types of port. However, I have digressed enough as well as exhausted my limited knowledge. I am sure that there are much more knowledgable and experienced port aficionados on these boards.

Anyway, I requested a ruby port from the sommelier. Without hesitation, she left and returned with a bottle of a ruby port. it was included in the package. It was a very good port that I enjoyed with friends as well during the cruise.

The afternoon of the last sea day was spent mostly in the Panorama Lounge visiting with a friend that was cruising in our group. His family was off doing other activities as well. We enjoyed coffee, the wonderful view as well as the music of the wonderful quartet that was in the lounge this week. They played in the afternoon on this sea day as well.

We attended the farewell show which was before dinner on the last day. It included singing from the wonderful Voices of the SilverSea. They have been performing after dinner all week. The three ladies and three gentlemen are very talented. The shows were very enjoyable. Following the performance, the Captain came on stage and brought up as he introduced the various crew and staff. . It was a great opportunity for us to show our appreciation with a standing ovation for the dedicated service they have provided all week.

We dined in The Restaurant and enjoyed another wonderful dinner.

Afterwards, we retired to our room to work on getting our luggage ready to be put out by 11:00 PM.

Today, we had breakfast and then said our good byes to our wonderful butler Noli as well as our excellent attendant Marites. Once our color was called, we disembarked the ship very smoothly. Our luggage was readily together in the terminal and an attendant was right there to assist with our luggage. As we are doing the post cruise portion on the Rocky Mountaineer Train to Banff, the SilverSea staff were right there to gather us and direct the way. The trip through customs was smooth. A van was waiting. Our luggage was loaded and we were off for our tour of Vancouver followed by arriving at our hotel for the evening.

I will close for now. I will continue as access to Internet allows.