Adventure of the Seas 9/4/05 Sailing - Aruba Route Review

hardingk

Thanks for the review...I would LOVE to do the Southern Itinerary.

BTW, I'm not sure the announcements being made in spanish had a whole lot to do with your Puerto Rican counterparts, I think repeating everything in spanish is the way of the future for Americans. We sailed on the Mariner and every announcement was made in English and Spanish and all the captains announcements were made in English, Spanish, and "nordic"? I know I am a bit ignorant but the captain always said "and now I'll repeat the same message for my Nordic friends"...I'm not sure what language it actually is. :o In any case...English and Spanish was definately both used in announcements.

I've heard that the entertainment is geared toward a more Latin Flavor when they leave out of Puerto Rico and that may be true but I think the announcement thing is becoming pretty standard even throughout the Continental US.

Anyway, I am glad you had a good time overall! Someday I would love to be able to review the Adventurer...in the meantime I will live vicariously through all of you :D

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. We are considering doing the Southern Caribbean (either Serenade, Adventurer or Celebrity (maybe!))next year and I have a few questions you might be able to help me with;

We did Radiance to Alaska this year and absolutely loved the ship. I noticed you have done her sister ship Brilliance, how does Adventurer and Brilliance compare?? Which did you prefer and why?

I notice that you are about the same age as myself and DH and also that you have sailed Celebrity. What did you think of this cruise line, was there enough to do being of the younger generation, was the food much better than RCCL, any other comments??

I had a big issue with RCCL's food on Radiance. Being a vegetarian who doesn't eat cheese seemed to be a MAJOR problem for their chefs!!? But I absolutely loved the Radiance itself. I'm wondering if we booked Celebrity (for the better food) would we feel out of place??

Also, if you were to do the Southern Caribbean again, would you still choose September? Waws it VERY hot / humid??

Sorry for so many the questions and thanks for any advice you can give

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. We are considering doing the Southern Caribbean (either Serenade, Adventurer or Celebrity (maybe!))next year and I have a few questions you might be able to help me with;

We did Radiance to Alaska this year and absolutely loved the ship. I noticed you have done her sister ship Brilliance, how does Adventurer and Brilliance compare?? Which did you prefer and why? I have done both Brilliance and Radiance and prefer the Brilliance over all 3. That is my favorite ship. big, but not too big!

I notice that you are about the same age as myself and DH and also that you have sailed Celebrity. What did you think of this cruise line, was there enough to do being of the younger generation, was the food much better than RCCL, any other comments?? I haven't been on Celebritu since 2001. I started cruising RCL in 2001 too and I feel the food quality has gone downhill over the last 4 years on RCL; but, I feel the food on the Radiance was some of the worst food we have ever had. The Brilliance's food was awesome, adventure was ok. Celebrity is more elegant I feel, but RCL is for our age group & people who like to have fun, but not party 24/7.

I had a big issue with RCCL's food on Radiance. Being a vegetarian who doesn't eat cheese seemed to be a MAJOR problem for their chefs!!? But I absolutely loved the Radiance itself. I'm wondering if we booked Celebrity (for the better food) would we feel out of place?? Celebrity is much stricter on the dress code and it is more elegant like I said before. I find they cater to an older group then our age. But it is still fun!

Also, if you were to do the Southern Caribbean again, would you still choose September? Waws it VERY hot / humid??It was hot, not humid. Not sure I would go in September again bc of all the hurriances this year & last year!!

Sorry for so many the questions and thanks for any advice you can give

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much for the info. Hardingk. I missed that you had been on Radiance..oops. One last question, if you had to chose between Radiance and Adventurer which did you prefer and why?? We are looking at Serenade versus Adventurer and I am leaning towards Serenade BUT she only sails from late October, November on the Southern Caribbean route whereas Adventurer does early September onwards (not sure I would do this itinerary in July, August - DH doesn't cope too well with hot, hot)

What do you think??

Thanks again.

My wife and I just returned from the 10/16 sailing. The review was indeed very good. This itinerary was our first on RCCL, and after many years of hearing how GREAT that RCCL is from very close friends we were sadly disappointed.

OVERALL the cruise was good, but nothing exceptional. I have traveled extensively and am familiar with the travel routine. However, my expectations of what to expect aboard the Adventure were bashed.

The check-in procedure at the pier was very tedious - long lines, etc.

The ship was booked to the hilt. Over 1/3 of the cruisers were native to Puerto Rico. For the most part they were rude, pushy, and arrogant. Try to get into an elevator...forget it!!! Several times after waiting for an elevator, my wife and I were pushed out of the way by an onslaught of Puerto Ricans...no manners - no consideration. I was surprised by this due to the fact that I have spent a considerable amount of time in Puerto Rico working with clients. The Puerto Rican folks that I personally know are an easy-going, considerate, and humble people.

The Windjammer cafe was a nightmare - after getting the food then you had to wait like a vulture ready to pounce on the next available table. Rarely was there any assistance from the waiters in locating a table.

This cruise just didn't meet our expectations of a "class-act" vacation. The food was definitely substandard. The cabin sheets were not changed until we demanded that it be done.

We met several cruisers that are Diamond level while on-board. Without our negative input, we took an informal poll. Without exception every one of them rated this particular cruise and the Adventure as the "bottom of the barrel."

We will probably cruise again on RCCL, but definitely NOT out of Puerto Rico.

Thanks for posting your AOS review. We were on this ship in April 2005, and had the same experience with people who lived in PR. Only on our sailing, the ratio was every 3/4 people. I had no problem with the majority of the PR people, but a few loud and abnoxious people really turned me off from sailing out of PR again.

Plus our air was so terribly expensive, I don't really see that it was worth it. :)

Thanks for the great review! Did you snorkel at Arashi Beach? I had read on these boards that snorkeling was good there. :) Thanks

On our AOS trip we were at Arashi Beach. I have pics in the link. It is beautiful, but there are rocks everywhere. Its great to snorkel there if you have a boat that takes you out and drops you off in the water. This way you can avoid the rocks on the sand/beach. They are sharp, and they are everywhere. You can't wade in the water at all.

Beware of the big lizards! :eek:

:D

Eagle beach (where the hotels are) is much better for wading and swimming. The sand is soft and there are chairs for lounging in.

BTW, I'm not sure the announcements being made in spanish had a whole lot to do with your Puerto Rican counterparts, I think repeating everything in spanish is the way of the future for Americans.

Very true, however on our sailing, the spanish announcements were made first. I wouldn't mind this, normally, as I understand that I'm in a different country, but the ship does operate with US Currency, and an English Speaking Staff.

With people posting about their experiences with the cabins, we heard nothing but sloshing water all night long in our cabin. We were in 9253, and it really, really, really was a bad location. I would have gotten a cabin down a ways. Maintenance said that they were working on the problem, but the noise was there all week long. I wouldn't recommend the end cabins at all :D

Thanks so much for the info. Hardingk. I missed that you had been on Radiance..oops. One last question, if you had to chose between Radiance and Adventurer which did you prefer and why?? We are looking at Serenade versus Adventurer and I am leaning towards Serenade BUT she only sails from late October, November on the Southern Caribbean route whereas Adventurer does early September onwards (not sure I would do this itinerary in July, August - DH doesn't cope too well with hot, hot)

What do you think??

Thanks again.

I would go on the Serende, if I had a choice.

Hello Hardingk,

Could you tell me more about the luggage valet thing off AOS. I've called our TA, AA, and RCCL and they don't know anything about it or should I say limited. TA can't verify it, AA says it's something by RCCL, and RCCL says it's only available on Alaskain cruises. We sail 1-15-05 on AOL, using AA for our flights and have a later flight back and would like to see more of San Juan.

Thanks!!!

That is pretty much all that I know. They had just started it a few weeks prior and we only found out about it a few days before we got off the ship. I assume they will have it all the time because it was a permenant airline counter that was built in the pier terminal.

Hope that helps!

Archived