Adventure of the Seas 9/4/05 Sailing - Aruba Route Review

hardingk

No problem! Does your cabin number end in a 20? Like 6320? If not you are ok, but any cabin that ends in a 20 is right off of the elevator bank and you will hear everything.

Our cabin is 1324 - PHEW! LOL

Thanks for your help ;)

On another thread you told me that we had the same GS you are to have. I will surely let you know about the noise when we return from the October 2nd sailing. Sure hope that it IS quiet.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy!

This is our first GS and we are pretty excited about it! :)

Besides the food the other negative is that because the ship did not fill up, RCL offered a huge discount to Puerto Ricans and there were over 1,800 of them onboard…more then 2/3 of the ship. All the announcements were made in Spanish and English, even bingo. Some of them were very rude especially the children. They wouldn’t run rampant all over the ship yelling and screaming and no one said a word to them. I even caught one of them making fun of a heavy lady in the elevator and scolded them in Spanish. They didn’t say a word once they knew that someone else understood them. I am not so sure that we will ever leave out of Puerto Rico again though.

Just to remind you ...

I dont now how many times I have sayed this on this boards . But Puerto Ricans Dont get Discounts on Royal Caribbean Cruises Sailing from San Juan. They just have the good point of not buying airfare.Some Puerto Ricans make what you do but sailing on western caribbean cruises and they do pay airfare. but many of them just sail from their home port. They pay the same price any single person on the planet would pay since if you now Rccl dont offers discounts to anyone. so they can be rude and happy but they have the money to pay for a cruise specially the Adventure Of the seas. I have some clients on that cruise. From Interior cabins to Owners suites all of them from puerto rico. maybe some of them were rude and happy ect. but not the 1,800 puertoricans onboard. So please dont generalize as many puerto ricans pay more that you for a cruise sailing from their home port. ;)

Well said. Another thing is why is it at the other home ports the people are referred to as "Residents" example "Florida residents", "Texans" , "New Yorkers" etc. Yet Puerto Ricans are referred to as "LOCALS" ?? RCL used to offer "Resident Discounts", I highly doubt they Advertised the specials in Puerto Rico as "LOCALS Discounts". I believe people should drop using the term "locals" I personally think it is kind of degrading.

Well said. Another thing is why is it at the other home ports the people are referred to as "Residents" example "Florida residents", "Texans" , "New Yorkers" etc. Yet Puerto Ricans are referred to as "LOCALS" ?? RCL used to offer "Resident Discounts", I highly doubt they Advertised the specials in Puerto Rico as "LOCALS Discounts". I believe people should drop using the term "locals" I personally think it is kind of degrading.

But we 'Texans' prefer that you 'all' call us that. Thank you. :D

Can you tell me how much the average beer is onboard? Do they still offer the drink of the day? Thanks;)

Yes, they still offer the drink of the day...$5.95 in a souviner glass. Beer was anywheres from $2.75 for a can up. Corona's were $3.50 a bottle...I know they had specials with the buckets, but I don't drink beer, so I didn't really pay attention.

We were on AOS 8/14/2005 and did not have the same experiences with rude passengers that you did, but that could be for any number of reasons. We did, however, have trouble with the Loyalty Ambassador. I wrote comments on the comment card when we left the ship regarding his poor customer service. It was bad enough that I also wrote to C&A telling them that we did not book another cruise because of his bad attitude and poor customer service. I received a standard email stating that they will pass it along. Hopefully they will do something about him!

We were on AOS 8/14/2005 and did not have the same experiences with rude passengers that you did, but that could be for any number of reasons. We did, however, have trouble with the Loyalty Ambassador. I wrote comments on the comment card when we left the ship regarding his poor customer service. It was bad enough that I also wrote to C&A telling them that we did not book another cruise because of his bad attitude and poor customer service. I received a standard email stating that they will pass it along. Hopefully they will do something about him!

I hope they are doing something about him. They are losing business because of him and his poor attitude. I also wrote it on the comment card and called C&A the next day and told them.

• 1 month later...

We sailed in a hump JS on AOS and never heard any noise from the elevators since there is a wall between the cabins and the elevator bank.

I also have to comment on the negative attitude toward Puerto Ricans throughout your review. Some examples: "...because it was Labor Day weekend, the hotel was sold out and packed with a lot of ”locals” so it was a bit noisy." "...however, the negative is that we were right off the elevator banks and will never book a cabin in that area again as we could hear everything and were woken many times during the night by people yelling & screaming (onetime being at 3:30 in the morning of which they were yelling & cursing in Spanish and I ended up calling security.)." "RCL offered a huge discount to Puerto Ricans and there were over 1,800 of them onboard…more then 2/3 of the ship. All the announcements were made in Spanish and English, even bingo. Some of them were very rude especially the children."

I find these comments to be culturally intolerant. You imply that only "locals," meaning people from Puerto Rico, are loud and rude. Posters have been called to task for these types of comments on these boards before, and yet they continue to appear. Might I suggest that posters read through their comments before posting and remove language that is derogatory toward a particular group? People from all over the world read and participate in these boards, and it is unfair to generalize and brand them with one type of behavior.

JMHO.

I have taken cruises out of PR previously, although this will be my first on AOS. I think the comments about Puerto Rican on the ships are unfair. Of course, you would expect a large numb4er of residents on a ship from the departing port. So what. I think there are many other nationalities represented on cruise ships that are rude and loud. Not all Puerto Ricans are the same. Yes some are loud and rude. But guess what so are people from other nationalities. It's a shame in this day and age we still are such sentiments. Live and Enjoy your cruises. If not, STAY HOME. I live in the Virgin Islands which are very close to PR. There are no cheaper discounts given by the ships to residents of Puerto Ricans. This is a myth. They pay whatever prices Royal Caribbean publishes at that time which is available to all.

For those of you who say the my comments are unfair, I would just like to clarify that I live and work in NYC and speak Spanish fluently. I have traveled the world and encountered multiple nationalities. I have never encountered people so rude and belligerent as there were on this cruise. I cruise 2-3 times a year and have never experienced such behavior.

Sunday, September 11th – Disembarkation

We also paid $10 person for a new service offered by American Airlines and RCL called American Airlines Luggage Valet. We filled out a paper by Friday with our flight details and on Saturday night we got an envelope with our luggage tags and boarding passes. Once we came through customs we just brought our suitcases over to the American counter and they took them to the airport for us!

Our flight wasn’t until 2:10 PM so we called the Hampton Inn & Suites and San Juan to see if we could get a room for the day. They had availability so we took a taxi from the pier to the hotel for $20 with tip to the hotel and checked in. It was great because we took a nap and I was able to download all my e-mails for the week and we had another great lunch from the poolside grill! Well, we checked out at 1PM and right as we checked out and got in the taxi, I got an update from American Airlines that our flight was delayed (it had been thunder storming pretty hard for the last hour or so). We got to the airport and went through security, to find out our flight was delayed even more. It ended up leaving 2 hours late.

Once we finally landed at JFK, we waited 30 minutes on the tarmac for an agent to bring us to the gate and then another 25 minutes at the gate waiting for another agent to bring the jetwalk over to the plane. Once we were finally off the plane, we waited 10 minutes for our luggage which ended up coming out on 2 conveyer belts and took forever to find out luggage. We ended up not getting home till 9:30 PM. :(

Thanks for the fantastic AOS review! As the days get closer it gets more exciting, as I have not even attempted to pack yet! Our cruise leaves on 12/4/05!!!

Anyway, I find that this "new" option to pay 10.00 for AA customers/RCCL is great, as our flight does not leave until 5:30 p.m. I am looking into a daystay hotel with a nice beach/pool. I have stayed at Wyndham Condado precruise. They have a nice pool area, but the beach area is not so great, being very small (I found it kind of dirty). I would stick to the pools there anyway. I am looking into the Water Club, as someone posted a 100.00 day stay there, as they do have a nice beach near the airport. Hopefully this will work out, as you have to inquire when you get there or call ahead of time.

We all have many different experiences on our cruises. Some people party more than others and are more loud. If you do not like to "party loud", as quite a few do on this ship, then do something else or go somewhere else on the ship that is less crowded or more quiet. Just go and have a blast whatever you do when you cruise. You choose how you want to make the best of the situation. Just my opinion!

Happy cruising everyone!

Yes, the loyalty ambassador has been changed. She is a delightful and helpful young lady. I think her name is Sonja.

I was on the October 1 sailing of the Adventure, too. I also experienced many rude people, but I have to say that it was NOT the Puerto Ricans who were rude! We spent time in Puerto Rico before and after the cruise, and all the locals we encountered were extremely pleasant, polite, and helpful.

Archived