Avignon & Pont du Gard

CaroleLee

Have a day in Avignon. Tours are included on our river cruise. Avignon walking tour or Pont du Gard. Opinions/suggestions? I may just send DH to the bridge and do the walking tour

Carole

If you cannot do both I would opt for the walking tour. The Palais du pape is quite interesting and old town Avignon is interesting as well. If you are going other places with Roman ruins then you can see an Aqueduct...not the same I know,but close enough in my book.:D Enjoy your trip.

We cannot understand the problem of doing both if you have a full day tied up in Avignon. Pont du Gard is about a 30 minute drive from your boat and an interesting place if you have an interest in Roman engineering and some darn good Aqueduct ruins. As to Avignon, if you are tied up at the normal docking area you can easily walk from the boat into the walled part of Avignon (this is where everyone goes). Whether you feel the need for a tour (included on some boat lines) is a personal preference but its actually not difficult to simply walk around on your own (pick up a free map from a tourist office). In the interest of full disclosure, DW and I have been to Avignon many times and also rented apartments in the city (most recently last year).

However, if you simply must choose only one option we would stay in Avignon. I should add that a visit to Les Baux is also highly recommended when in the Avignon area.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We cannot understand the problem of doing both if you have a full day tied up in Avignon. Pont du Gard is about a 30 minute drive from your boat and an interesting place if you have an interest in Roman engineering and some darn good Aqueduct ruins. As to Avignon, if you are tied up at the normal docking area you can easily walk from the boat into the walled part of Avignon (this is where everyone goes). Whether you feel the need for a tour (included on some boat lines) is a personal preference but its actually not difficult to simply walk around on your own (pick up a free map from a tourist office). In the interest of full disclosure, DW and I have been to Avignon many times and also rented apartments in the city (most recently last year).

However, if you simply must choose only one option we would stay in Avignon. I should add that a visit to Les Baux is also highly recommended when in the Avignon area.

Hank

Hi & Thx

Its Carole & Alan from the Solstice E. Med cruise. We are both hx & engineering buffs (addicts?) so the choice is tight. Might do the inc tour of Avignon & then bus.car to the bridge.

Carole