New youth outdoor area on Explorer

Hi everyone.

Im a bit annoyed with them taking away adventre beach to put the flow rider in, im sure they could have just made it a bit smaller. Anyway what exactly is this "Youth outdoor area"? Thanks!

Hi everyone.

Im a bit annoyed with them taking away adventre beach to put the flow rider in, im sure they could have just made it a bit smaller. Anyway what exactly is this "Youth outdoor area"? Thanks!

So glad I saw this message! Had just told DS all about the slides, looked at the pictures with him etc, so I am quite annoyed too that they have done this.

The adventure beach area was one of the reasons we booked this ship. With nearly a week of sea days on our cruise in June/July the plan had been to spend a lot of time around the adventure beach area.

With the RCL flow riders having had both a fatality and numerous serious injuries I feel really reluctant to let my son use it as a replacement for the slides.

I couldn't find the photos of the new area so contacted my travel agent to clarify. With all the changes after the refurb it feels a little like we booked one ship but will cruise on another.

Hopefully it will still be a great cruise.

So glad I saw this message! Had just told DS all about the slides, looked at the pictures with him etc, so I am quite annoyed too that they have done this.

The adventure beach area was one of the reasons we booked this ship. With nearly a week of sea days on our cruise in June/July the plan had been to spend a lot of time around the adventure beach area.

With the RCL flow riders having had both a fatality and numerous serious injuries I feel really reluctant to let my son use it as a replacement for the slides.

I couldn't find the photos of the new area so contacted my travel agent to clarify. With all the changes after the refurb it feels a little like we booked one ship but will cruise on another.

When was the fatality?

I haven't heard about a fatality... :D

But when i watched i did see one man land badly on his neck and he was in pain after... Most of the kids using it seemed pretty good but i think they had been practising all week.. but it definitely doesnt replace a fun pool area because the queues will be huge when the kids are out in force.

picture my husband posted below of what is there now...

544b6e4cc3978d7725a798adff4516ad.jpg.6763cfa032e8f6cde2723216f0e02378.jpg

picture my husband posted below of what is there now...

Thanks! That does look a bit like a wasted space.

Atleast knowing about it now we have a bit of time to manage expectations and think of something else to do during sea days.

The flowrider articles I saw where these:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/09/articles/passenger-rights/danger-on-the-high-seas-royal-caribbeans-deadly-flowrider/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/06/articles/passenger-rights/wipeout-liability-of-royal-caribbean-cruise-line-for-flowrider-accidents/

Wow looking at that picture of wasted space make me feel

Sad as i sailed 3 x on that boat with both kids and they loved those lil pools and slide. It was quite worn down but it was perfect for the kids bc it was completely covered.

I agree... i cannot understand why they havent put in some new amazing kids area there with slides... its almost like they are trying to discourage younger kids.. because the flow rider is really not that safe for younger children

It is a little strange. With this area, and the large new deck area on top of the new cabins, at times you feel like there is a lot of wasted space, when other parts of the refurb have been to clearly maximise revenue from every last bit of space on the inside of the ship.

I'm guessing these areas have been deliberately left empty for more sunbed space now there is a higher number of guests on the ship, but if that is the case then they need to actually provide more sunbeds or other seating options.

To some extent it feels half completed or as if there needs to be another dry dock at some point in the near future to do something with these areas.