Tell me about the Seaside Theater...

Our upcoming cruise on the Freedom will be the first time we've been on a ship with the outdoor movie screen. Just wondering what to expect out of it. What do they show during the day? What time is the evening movie? Are they current movies or old favorites, or a mixture? Are you able to comfortable watch the movie? (Meaning, does it usually get crowded or too loud?)

Thanks. :)

The Movies are usually during the evening because it is outside it is hard to see during the day it is only music vidoes. Daytime hours they play movies in the Big theatre where they have stage shows. When they do have evening films it is never very packed since there are so many other things to do, like comedy shows , dinner, gambling, and live production shows. Anyway if you do go see a movie be sure to ask for a blanket. It is usually cool out and they have big heated blankets. The choice of movies is anyones guess from old to new and even as crazy as The Titanic. Yes our first Alaska cruise they played the Titanic. Don't go anywhere without your Funtimes (daily publication tells times for everything that is going on including where to find food 24hrs a day) Enjoy check out my travel blog www.atouristlife.com :)

The Movies are usually during the evening because it is outside it is hard to see during the day it is only music vidoes. Daytime hours they play movies in the Big theatre where they have stage shows. When they do have evening films it is never very packed since there are so many other things to do, like comedy shows , dinner, gambling, and live production shows. Anyway if you do go see a movie be sure to ask for a blanket. It is usually cool out and they have big heated blankets. The choice of movies is anyones guess from old to new and even as crazy as The Titanic. Yes our first Alaska cruise they played the Titanic. Don't go anywhere without your Funtimes (daily publication tells times for everything that is going on including where to find food 24hrs a day) Enjoy check out my travel blog www.atouristlife.com :)

Where do you get the big heated blankets? Guest services?

I would highly suggest you try to make it one night. It took four cruises for me to make it and I absolutely loved it! It was one of my all time favorite cruise experiences. It's so relaxing and they usually show a good mixture of new releases and classic favorites. I will always try to plan to do it one night of future cruises. It does get chilly and the towel hut was not opened for the whole movie, so if you need a blanket I'd get it early.

We LOVED it!!!!:D:D

We saw Grown Ups 2 and Divergent.

We had a Lido Deck balcony, so I was able to bring my pillow from the bed.

SO comfy!!!!!

Had a great time and enjoyed the free popcorn.

No need for the blankets, as it was warm (I am always HOT:o)

Definitely TRY it. I think you will enjoy it.

Have a great cruise!!!!!:D

This past September on Sunshine was first time with seaside theater. My son (21)and I loved it! Grabbed pizza and a drink and watched Maleficent one night and Captain America Winter Soldier another. Its a definite for us this Oct. on Dream. Didn't need blanket but saw some people with some.

Edited by mamajules

I'm not a big movie person at home, but I also loved it! We got a blanket and pop corn and watched Divergent, Maleficent and some other space movie, that I don't remember the title of. :o It was a great way to spend an evening with the teens!!

I love watching movies on the big screen, most of the ships we've been on had a row of chairs that rocked and of course the lounge chairs. There were people watching from the pool and the hot tubs also. The popcorn is fresh but no salt or butter. If you don't get a blanket you can always use the beach towel or robe from your cabin. It is loud.

• 2 months later...

It's one of my favorite things to do. Nothing like sitting out under the stars watching a movie in the middle of the ocean. You probably need to plan to not go to the dining room that night. John Heald posts them at the end of the mo th for the next month. Julys are the same as June, with one added, avengers maybe?

If you have Facebook (who doesn't?) like Jhs page and you will see it there. Or they are always copied over to CC.

If I remember correctly they will post only that days movies in the Fun Times. I know it changes every month. It looks like you will be sailing in Aug so watch JH Facebook toward the end of the month for the new movie listings.

Anybody know which movies they've been showing recently? :)

These movies played on the Dream on my June 14th sailing

SpongeBob: Sponge Out of Water

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

Cinderella

The Fault in our Stars

Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt 1

The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies

Guardians of the Galaxy

Unbroken

Insurgent

Big Hero 6

Home

If I remember correctly, we didn't know what was playing until we got the funtimes for the next day. We caught 3 movies this past cruise!

They've been showing Fault In Our Stars for at least 8 months on board with no sign of stopping so chances are good that will be on one night.

I for one enjoyed watching Monday Night Football and Saturday afternoon college games on Lido during Fall cruises but that has gone by the wayside.