Looking for Cruise that stops at Progresso

3travelalot

There are a number of Mexican ports that allow access to Chicten Itza. We got there on a cruise that stopped in Playa De Carmen and then went to Cozumel after dropping off people in Playa. We got a small plane, 18 or so people, and flew out and got about 6 hours in the ruins. I have read on the some of the Port of call ports for Mexico of others who have made the trip by bus and only ended up with a couple of hours on site after a 3-4 hour trip out and a 3-4 hour trip back.

Unfortunately the best way to have enough time at Chichen Itza is to go there and stay in a hotel on the coast and then make the trip out and stay overnight in one of the hotels right near the sight. That way you get two days at the sight and then can spend other days going to other Mayan sights or just enjoying the beach.

Have a great next cruise.

I don't think that Progreso is a stop for cruise ships anymore. Chichen Itza is a loooong way inland, and cruise lines do not offer this tour, as it takes hours to get there and back. The Palace Resorts in Cancun and on the Mayan Riviera (all-inclusive) offer this tour, and it's free if you stay at one of their resorts. Cruise lines do ofer a tour of the Mayan ruins at Tulum if you stop at Cozumel or Playa del Carmen. Tulum is on the Mayan Riviera coast, and not too far south of Playa del Carmen.

The cruises that stop in Mexican ports are usually Western Caribbean cruises, with the exception of the Mexican Riviera cruises. The Mexican Riviera cruises go to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa, and Acapulco and they are usually out of either San Franciso or Los Angeles. The Western Caribbean cruises go to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Cancun, Belize, Progresso, and Playa Del Carmen. The Western cruises are usually out of the gulf of Mexico in places like New Orleans, Mobile, Houston, and Galveston. Costa Maya has the Chacchoben and Kohunlich ruins. Belize has the Lamanai Mayan ruins, the Xunantunich mayan ruins, and the Altun Ha ruins. Most cruises to Cozumel have excursions that take you to the Yucatan mainland to visit the ancient Mayan ruins there.;)

You do have to remember that your time in these ports are limited, but I think the timing is about right for someone like me. Once I've seen the ruins and walked around for an hour or so, I'm ready to go. I'm not one of those people that can spend an entire day in the hot sun climbing ruins. I like having someone drive me out there in an air conditioned van, let me browse around for an hour or so, and then drive me back while I rest up and enjoy the scenery.:) It's also nice to know that on these Western Caribbean cruises, you can look at different ruins in different cities every day but you don't have to do all of the driving around. The cruise gets you to these places while you have fun on board. You might check out the Carnival Conquest or the Grand Princess. Both of these are large ships at over 100,000 tons. They have all of the extra amenities of a large ship but the price is right. Good luck on finding the right cruise.

Many of the Carnival cruises stop at Progreso. I was there 3 years ago on the Carnival Pride and went to Chichen Itza. The bus ride was not exceptionally long. Anyway, go to http://www.choosingcruising.co.uk/Cruiseweb/Cruises_Calling.asp?nCall=Progreso&nCat=Pand click on the month of travel that you are interested in for all cruises that stop at Progeso.

Archived