New to NCL and to Europe!

rnptcruiser

My husband and I are both in our 20s and have booked the Epic for the same Med. Cruise. We have never been to Europe before and are nervous/excited. I have questions about flying to Barcelona? Tips for what hotel and transfer between airport, hotel, and port? We don't want to look completely look lost over there. Also on ports...is it better to book a tour or explore on our own? Never being over seas, anything and everything is interesting and we are on a budget! Any help and or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by rnptcruiser

have you found your roll call for the sailing your are on for additional help and information ?

some roll calls may have a person organising some independent excursions that will help with costs

you could also try looking at port guides for each port

there is a huge report on here from Megacruiser for the Epic which is well worth a read (quick search should bring it up)

hope this helps :)

You should check the Europe posts here on Cruise Critic. You will get a lot more information on excursions, hotels, etc. I believe travelers can have a wonderful time on any budget. Also, look up your roll call on Cruise Critic for excursions. Sometimes you can save a lot of money going with a group.

There is a bus from the Barcelona airport.Try to spend some time in Barcelona before or after the cruise. It is a beautiful city.

My daughter and son-in-law who are in their twenties loved the Epic in Europe. The Epic is a great ship for young people. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

My husband and I are both in our 20s and have booked the Epic for the same Med. Cruise. We have never been to Europe before and are nervous/excited. I have questions about flying to Barcelona? Tips for what hotel and transfer between airport, hotel, and port? We don't want to look completely look lost over there. Also on ports...is it better to book a tour or explore on our own? Never being over seas, anything and everything is interesting and we are on a budget! Any help and or tips would be greatly appreciated!

You will love Europe and cruising.

I lived overseas for a total of 9 years and have traveled to 69 countries, including 90% of Europe.

I suggest that you prepare yourself in two ways for your trip.

First, do as others have already suggested, sign up for the roll call for your specific cruise. You can meet others there, find private tours and learn valuable information about the ports, hotels, restaurants, etc.

Second, I recommend buying Rick Steves Mediterranean Ports that will assist you in deciding what your will see on your trip. You have decisions to make regarding what you will spend your time on.

http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Mediterranean-Cruise-Ports/dp/1612387683

For example, you will have one day in Rome and will not be able to see everything in one day. Do you want to see the Vatican with amazing Sistine Chapel (a must see in my opinion) or focus on the Coliseum and Forum, or Piazza Novena/Pantheon. There is more believe me. I have spent a total of two weeks in Rome and didn't see everything.

Also, consider reading up on the history of your ports.

Here are some general tips:

1) You will need some Euros for your trip and the best place to buy them will be at ATMs in those countries. There is an ATM at the Barcelona airport before you leave for the taxis. Make sure you buy some there, you will need it for your taxi to the hotel.

2) Credit cards are accepted all over Europe, make sure your credit cards (I take two with me on trips) don't have a foreign transaction fee. Some credit cards add up to 3% for any purchase outside the USA.

3) Secure your valuables. This is especially true in places like Barcelona, Italy and France. Buy a money belt and women should have a packsafe purse. Once in your hotel, put your passports, all but one credit card and most of your money in the safe. Use your money belt, it may be inconvenient, but pickpocketing is widespread in Barcelona. Don't take expensive jewelry and make sure your SLR camera is strapped around you.

4) Research hotel on kayak for price and check TripAdvisor for location and reviews. I could recommend a hotel in Barcelona, but I don't know your price range. Try to stay close to Las Ramblas in Barcelona, or at least close to the Metro if you are not close to Las Ramblas.

5) Best way to your hotel from Barcelona airport is a taxi, as well as to the cruise port, which is located next to Las Ramblas.

For Barcelona, be sure to see Sagrada Familia (Gaudi Cathedral) on the inside. For tours, recommend Barcelona Day Tours, or using the Hop on Hop off bus. Also, you can use the Metro (with money belt).

Be sure to have tapas in Barcelona.

Most hotel will provide you with a map of the city with Metro stops.

Here are some of my reviews on cc of our cruises. They include details on hotels, restaurants, tours and sites.

If you have more questions, ask, I will try to assist.

George

W. Med NCL Epic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103808

AMA Rhone River

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103733

Spain, Canary Islands and Morocco

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80907

Have a great cruise.

Some tips, Barcelona airport, there are plenty of taxis and now a fixed charge to and from the port of 39 euro.

Make sure you write down the address of the dock/hotel as the taxi drivers only speak a little english.

As said if you are staying in Barcelona be very careful of pickpockets, this applies to Naples as well.there is a hop on hop off bus that takes you to the various sites.

Plenty of Hotels around the RAMBLES which is near the docks and a good starting point.

Naples

the ship usually docks within walking distance of the town, and on the dock you can purchase hydro foil tickets to Capri, but as this is your first time Pompeii and or Herculaneum are the must see sites. Both can be seen by taking a trip or DIY by walking to the railway station 1 mile+ and catching the SORRENTO train which stops at both, lot of walking though.

Rome.

The dock is a long way from Rome, take a trip if you can. DIY train ticket 12 euro includes buses in rome.

Liverno,

Pisa you can DIY, take the shuttle and ask for directions from the Tourist Information kiosk there. for Florence though take a trip.

Cannes

ship tenders into town by now you will be all toured out so just relax and look at the expensive shops and yachts. if you want to the train will take you to Monte Carlo 34 miles away.

Palma

at the docks there is a Hop on hop off bus, but some cruise lines run a shuttle to the Cathedral, which you cannot miss from the ship. this is also where the main shopping area is.

It depends on how fit you are, your interests and your Budget.

try the roll call but do not over do it.

in all ports Taxis will be available to take you to the sites but they do not include entrance fees etc.

Barcelona , plenty of taxis to take you to the airport but allow up to 15 minutes wait and 30 minutes travel time.

Have a great holiday.

j

PS when you are onboard they will give you port guides with helpful hints