RCI vs Carnival

Thinking of trying out RCI after 5 cruises on Carnival.

We are a family of 3, wife and I was are mid 50's with a 17 year old daughter ( by the time we cruise again). We have cruised on the Conquest out of Galveston and New Orleans with one B2B ( which is awesome) and one 5 day on the Triumph put of Galveston. We still like Carnival but I have this nagging voice in my head to try another cruise line. Since we have cruised the western Caribbean several time plus land vacations in other parts of the Caribbean we will have to travel to Florida to cruise different ports. We mainly cruise for the ports, then cost and ship is the last factor in choosing a cruise.

At least I and the wife do not need rock climbing or flow riding those are not a factor though daughter might want to try one of those. I'm not big on shows, wife and daughter are so-so on them.

I know RCI has several up-sell restaurants and would like more information on those as well as the "clubs" for teens and the drink program.

Three choices so far are the Allure, Oasis and the Freedom.

I know I can gleen some info from RCI website, I would rather get it from experienced cruisers that have sailed these ships. All routes are eastern

Thanks in advance !

If you are more in it for the ports than the ship, Oasis might be a bit of a waste. She is a wonderful ship, but her size and speed can be a factor if you want to visit many ports. Plus she is a bit more expensive than her smaller Freedom and Voyager class cousins.

Recently I have been looking at the Southern Caribbean itinerary on Adventure of the Seas. We are a family of 3, my son is 4 yo.

Freedom Class and Voyager Class ships are very similar.

We generally avoid the up sell restaurants (with an ocassional exception of Portofinos for a date night), also I can't give you much info about the teen scene except that RCL does seem to be putting a larger focus on teen activities in recent years than they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are more in it for the ports than the ship, Oasis might be a bit of a waste. She is a wonderful ship, but her size and speed can be a factor if you want to visit many ports. Plus she is a bit more expensive than her smaller Freedom and Voyager class cousins.

Recently I have been looking at the Southern Caribbean itinerary on Adventure of the Seas. We are a family of 3, my son is 4 yo.

Freedom Class and Voyager Class ships are very similar.

We generally avoid the up sell restaurants (with an ocassional exception of Portofinos for a date night), also I can't give you much info about the teen scene except that RCL does seem to be putting a larger focus on teen activities in recent years than they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would love to do a southern itinerary but the air fare alone would be the same as the cruise. A few years ago when I was working two jobs ( to support my scuba habit) I could justify that.

The prices between the three cruises is minimal as of now. We wont be sailing till 2016 as I had to use all my paid time off last year after blowing out of my shoulder and having three surgeries and being off 6 months. Which also ended my scuba habit. Plus we can only cruise during the summer as wife is a teacher and of course one school aged daughter.

Thanks for the input.

We would love to do a southern itinerary but the air fare alone would be the same as the cruise. A few years ago when I was working two jobs ( to support my scuba habit) I could justify that.

The prices between the three cruises is minimal as of now. We wont be sailing till 2016 as I had to use all my paid time off last year after blowing out of my shoulder and having three surgeries and being off 6 months. Which also ended my scuba habit. Plus we can only cruise during the summer as wife is a teacher and of course one school aged daughter.

Thanks for the input.

If you watch SW on the first day of release air fair to PR is not unreasonable. You have to plan in advance and be online the night they release the fares.

Thinking of trying out RCI after 5 cruises on Carnival.

We are a family of 3, wife and I was are mid 50's with a 17 year old daughter ( by the time we cruise again). We have cruised on the Conquest out of Galveston and New Orleans with one B2B ( which is awesome) and one 5 day on the Triumph put of Galveston. We still like Carnival but I have this nagging voice in my head to try another cruise line. Since we have cruised the western Caribbean several time plus land vacations in other parts of the Caribbean we will have to travel to Florida to cruise different ports. We mainly cruise for the ports, then cost and ship is the last factor in choosing a cruise.

At least I and the wife do not need rock climbing or flow riding those are not a factor though daughter might want to try one of those. I'm not big on shows, wife and daughter are so-so on them.

I know RCI has several up-sell restaurants and would like more information on those as well as the "clubs" for teens and the drink program.

Three choices so far are the Allure, Oasis and the Freedom.

I know I can gleen some info from RCI website, I would rather get it from experienced cruisers that have sailed these ships. All routes are eastern

Thanks in advance !

I have been in Triumph as well as Oasis/Allure/Liberty(sister ship to Freedom). First, there is no comparing. You can compare food/and rooms, but then it stops.

First - Oasis class ships, have shows that have such variety. Several Diving shows, ice skating show, one broadway show, as well as a headliner, comedy and production show, and welcome show. Of course there are the other secondary shows and parades. Does not matter if you do not like the shows. Until you see and experience the shows on Oasis Class, it would be hard to describe.

Also, Oasis class ships are a destination, with ports a second thought. Specialty restaurants are abundant on the ship also. However, it still has a MDR and Buffet so no need to try them. I would recommend that you do, but that's me. You also have several other places to eat on the ship that are free, and found in every neighborhood.

Outdoor recreation, flow riders, rock climbing, sports courts, etc are often used by the 50's crowd. Don't write them off.

Evening entertainment is designed around just about every taste. Again, so many choices, you need to experience it.

Crowds - the ships are spread out, and in neighborhoods. It's no more or less crowded than any small ship. The ships are designed to move people, and RCCL does a good job at it.

Freedom Class ships - Much bigger than Triumph, with a nice variety of shows, ice skating and secondary shows. Several choices to eat, with decent food in the MDR and buffets.

Although my next two cruises are on smaller RCCL ships, they were picked for the ports. Yes, I would go again on an Oasis Class ship, but always remember that they are the destination first.

I have been in Triumph as well as Oasis/Allure/Liberty(sister ship to Freedom). First, there is no comparing. You can compare food/and rooms, but then it stops.

First - Oasis class ships, have shows that have such variety. Several Diving shows, ice skating show, one broadway show, as well as a headliner, comedy and production show, and welcome show. Of course there are the other secondary shows and parades. Does not matter if you do not like the shows. Until you see and experience the shows on Oasis Class, it would be hard to describe.

Also, Oasis class ships are a destination, with ports a second thought. Specialty restaurants are abundant on the ship also. However, it still has a MDR and Buffet so no need to try them. I would recommend that you do, but that's me. You also have several other places to eat on the ship that are free, and found in every neighborhood.

Outdoor recreation, flow riders, rock climbing, sports courts, etc are often used by the 50's crowd. Don't write them off.

Evening entertainment is designed around just about every taste. Again, so many choices, you need to experience it.

Crowds - the ships are spread out, and in neighborhoods. It's no more or less crowded than any small ship. The ships are designed to move people, and RCCL does a good job at it.

Freedom Class ships - Much bigger than Triumph, with a nice variety of shows, ice skating and secondary shows. Several choices to eat, with decent food in the MDR and buffets.

Although my next two cruises are on smaller RCCL ships, they were picked for the ports. Yes, I would go again on an Oasis Class ship, but always remember that they are the destination first.

Thanks for the input. While I would love to rock climb or flow ride I don't have the ability right now. I've lost close to 40 percent of the range of motion in my right shoulder and I am afraid to mess it up again.