What is there to do in Norfolk?

jmwg49

We are arriving back into Norfolk after our cruise to Bermuda in October. Rather than rush to get a flight, we are considering staying in Norfolk for a day and flying home the following day.

What is there to see in Norfolk? Places to eat? Anything not to be missed here? Ideas for hotels? We will be staying there one day pre-cruise as well. Any ideas are most appreciated!

Tours of the Norfolk Naval Base-largest in the world.

Right next to the cruise terminal is Nauticus- (Nauticus.org Lots of of fun stuff especially for kids) and the battleship Wisconsin which you can tour thru Nauticus.

Virginia Beach or the Ocean View beaches

Virginia Beach Aquarium is terrific. http://www.virginiaaquarium.com/

Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown and Busch Gardens is about 45 minutes going North on I-64.

As far as hotels and restaurants if you let me know where you'll be flying home from I can give better suggestions.

I can give you a list of hotels that do a Park and Cruise deal that would probably do just Shuttle and Cruise!

Edited by fhmoore

Thank you. We are flying (we are from Toronto), so will not have a car. We hope to get around on foot or local transit. Would it be best to stay downtown or near the airport. (Norfolk)

I would stay downtown as there are quite a few parks, restaurants, shopping areas that you could easily walk to. And you could walk to the ship.

If you won't mind using a cab (or Uber or Lyft or a shuttle) then think about staying at the VA Beach oceanfront. It's about a thirty minute drive from Norfolk and there is so much to see and do up and down the boardwalk.

If any of your traveling party is into beer, there are some FANTASTIC breweries in downtown Norfolk. O'Connor and Smartmouth, yum yum.

Enjoy your Bermuda cruise!

Here's the link to Norfolk's cruise info website, specifically Park and Cruise. Most of the hotels listed are near the airport. The Sheraton is in downtown and you can walk to stuff including the USS Wisconsin and Nauticus. This site has all info you may need to take advantage of downtown Norfolk! It lists restaurants too. An interesting one is Freemason Abbey that is in a converted church. There are harbor cruises that take you by the Naval Base that are fun. The best seafood restaurants are not downtown,

http://www.visitnorfolktoday.com/park-cruise-packages

We are a festival crazy town. There are two festival weekends in October....Children's and Wine. Depending on which weekend you're here you may get to partake! Here's the link for Festevents.

https://festevents.org/events/2015-season-events/

Edited by fhmoore

Here's the link to Norfolk's cruise info website, specifically Park and Cruise. Most of the hotels listed are near the airport. The Sheraton is in downtown and you can walk to stuff including the USS Wisconsin and Nauticus. This site has all info you may need to take advantage of downtown Norfolk! It lists restaurants too. An interesting one is Freemason Abbey that is in a converted church. There are harbor cruises that take you by the Naval Base that are fun. The best seafood restaurants are not downtown,

http://www.visitnorfolktoday.com/park-cruise-packages

We are a festival crazy town. There are two festival weekends in October....Children's and Wine. Depending on which weekend you're here you may get to partake! Here's the link for Festevents.

https://festevents.org/events/2015-season-events/

Thanks for all the information!

I live in Norfolk and have taken a few cruises out of there. If I were you I would stay downtown, can walk to terminal from most hotels close to the pier, about 3-4 blocks I would guess.

There are many restaurants, casual, fancy, all along Granby Street within walking distance. All are good, not chains. I have heard a lot of good things about Field Guide. Each one different and interesting, worth just walking along and see what looks interesting. For some of the best She Crab soup Freemason is a little bit longer walk. Nice full service restaurant in an old church, very pretty. I know malls arnt really a tourist spot but MacArthur mall is lovely and who can resist shopping! Very close to hotels.

Get to the port early early and can basically walk on!

FYI there is a great small garden with a fountain and garden at the Pagoda, a gift from Tiawan, just around the corner from the Nauticus. Follow the path to the right of the ship (east i think:) then you can sit in the shade or sun, look at the river and have a cold beer or drink or snack. Just a short walk from the ship, maybe 5 minutes. Lovely neighborhood too to stroll around.