Need Help with Transport MXP to Genoa Port

Meesh

MSC just got back to me about the transfers that I requested last week for my arrival next Saturday. They said that it was too late to book ( over a week ahead? ) and they can't confirm the transfers. So, I'm scrambling at the last minute to change plans completely. A private car transfer would be far out of our budget, and I prefer not to travel by train upon arrival in Europe - too tired, unfamiliar and too much luggage on this trip.

I'm thinking that we may rent a car at MXP and drive down to Genoa. There are some good deals for the one way rental - much cheaper even than the ship's transfers. My questions are:

Are there any car rental offices at the port itself where we could return the car? I checked the port's website and there is no info.

If not - how difficult/expensive is it to transfer independently from GOA to the port?

Thank you all in advance for any info and/or suggestions.

:)Meesh

MSC just got back to me about the transfers that I requested last week for my arrival next Saturday. They said that it was too late to book ( over a week ahead? ) and they can't confirm the transfers. So, I'm scrambling at the last minute to change plans completely. A private car transfer would be far out of our budget, and I prefer not to travel by train upon arrival in Europe - too tired, unfamiliar and too much luggage on this trip.

I'm thinking that we may rent a car at MXP and drive down to Genoa. There are some good deals for the one way rental - much cheaper even than the ship's transfers. My questions are:

Are there any car rental offices at the port itself where we could return the car? I checked the port's website and there is no info.

If not - how difficult/expensive is it to transfer independently from GOA to the port?

Thank you all in advance for any info and/or suggestions.

:)Meesh

I just did this.

I got my bags at MXP, hopped on the Malpensa Express to Milano Centrale, then got on the next train to Genoa. From Principe Station I hopped a cab.

I also looked into care rentals but there were no drop off locations open on the day I needed them except at the airport. Too much hassle for me.

I searched everywhere for private transfers and they were just out of line.

Thanks for your reply, I'm freaking out a bit because I thought this was all set and we're calling it close. How long did it take all together? We are arriving in Milan at 9am on the day of embarkation and I'm a bit worried about time - especially on a Sunday when public trains and busses don't run as frequently. Was there a lot of dragging the bags up & down stairs and such? I've traveled quite a bit in Europe and have found it difficult in many cities to deal with the trains with heavy luggage. We will try to pack as lightly as possible, but it will be tough with three weeks of stuff for several climates. Car rentals are running much more than when I had researched this a month ago, so trains are looking like a better alternative.

Michelle, I was travelling with my mom and had both of our bags to schlep and it was 100 degrees that day! Fun, no, but doable.

Steps in Milan going up (escalator was broken that day and got tired of waiting for elevator) and I believe Genoa has an escalator.

You should be thru customs and immigration in MXP pretty quickly and the Malpensa Express runs every 20 minutes and takes about 45 to make the trip.

Go to the Fast Ticket window at Milano Centrale for departures within 15 minutes "Something Veloce" (my Italian escapes me at the moment) or use the self serv kiosk.

Jump on the first train you can; it is a 1 hr 30 minute or so trip. Check out schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com and make sure you take a fast connection, not the milk route. Get off at Principe Station in Genoa and ten minutes and 13 Euro for the cab far later you will be at the ship.

We made a 12:50 train because they lost our luggage and still got there by 3pm.

Then have a nice cocktail to relax!

Enjoy!

Once again - thank you so much for the information and for the help!!! I'm feeling much better now that we'll be able to pull off getting to the ship on time.

I'm looking forward to that cocktail & relaxing - this part ( the last minute planning, getting ready ) is anything but relaxing!

Archived