Transportation from Port of Miami

Pixiedoodle

Our second cruise is rapidly approaching, and I'm trying to avoid the transportation fiasco that happened to us after our first RCCL cruise.

When we disembarked at the Port of Miami the first time, we really had no idea how to get transportation. There seemed to be nothing but buses of all sizes hanging around, and we were told that we should have purchased a transfer onboard. Instead we had to slip a driver a "tip" to get on a bus to get out of there.

This time around, we're staying at a hotel in Miami and we'd like to take a cab (or some other form of cheap transportation)...but avoid the fiasco we encountered on the first trip.

Any ideas?

To avoid all fees, you should have your TA get you transfers, and take a Royal Caribbean provided bus back to Miami International Airport and then go form there. If you have a flight you need to catch, then you're at the place you need to be. And if you've got another hotel stay planned, then grab your hotel shuttle! Most hotels have some type of shuttle that runs from the airport to the hotel and back. I did this when I cruised in February and I never had to pay for transpertation at all, just a tip here and there.

... and I never had to pay for transpertation at all, just a tip here and there.

But, Tyler, you did pay for transportation with the RC transfers. I have always found it cheaper for two people and a lot easier to grab a taxi. If you take the RC transfer, you will have to wait for everyone to be on the bus, for all the luggage to be loaded, for everyone to get off and then unloaded at the airport before you can be on your way. And then to find a hotel bus? (and not all of them have free shuttles.) I don't think so!

I just got off a cruise at Port Everglades and there were taxis lined up. It has been a while since I came out of Miami, but I am sure it is the same. Pixiedoodle, it sounds like you just got in the wrong place somehow. I am sure someone on this board can give you advice on where to get the taxi.

True, I did have to wait, but it wasn't really that bad. I guess it's all in what you want to do. I was told by my TA that it was cheaper to do the transfers (which I did pay for them) then to do a taxi, which depending on the route you go and where your hotel is can get quite costly. But I can't say how much a taxi is, because I didn't take one. But the bus ride was fun tho, because you were on a bus with everyone else who was going to be on that cruise. So again, it wasn't really that bad, although coming out of the terminal after the cruise was confusing.

Couldn't tell from your comments whether you're staying in the hotel pre, post, or both, but it really does not matter.

Having been in and out of Miami several times, my feeling is the taxi is the only way to go. Especially if you're going from the ship to a hotel post-cruise.

There are taxis lined up and waiting. A was stated before, the RCCL transfers will get you to MIA of FLL but only after the bus has filled (and you have to pay for a transfer for each person). If you want a taxi, grab your luggage, meet with the customs agent at the exit and procede directly to the curb outside and grab the first cab available-- they'll probably ask you before you need to ask them. The taxi will be a reasonable fare, and may only have a buck or 2 surcharge per extra person (certainly less than what it would cost for mulitple people buying transfers).

Jay

Getting off the NOS in January in Miami, we walked outside (a porter helped us with our bags- we tipped him $1 per bag with a little extra) and walked to the taxi stand- that is right there. We got in a cab, went to our hotel in downtown Miami- $15 plus tip. Nothing complicated about it- no waiting or anything (there were a million cabs lined up and waiting).

I wouldn't bother with the transfers unless your hotel is at the airport.

Cheers,

We used transfers on our first cruise and decided never again. We never have a problem getting a taxi, whether to a hotel, pier or back to the airport after the cruise. We have done this sailing out of Miami, San Juan, New Orleans and Port Canaveral. If a regular car isn't big enough, there are always plenty of taxi vans on site. We have never had to wait, they are always lined up waiting.

Archived