Worth upgrading to Balcony?

Newbcruiser1

If this is a first and only trip to Alaska then perhaps a splurge for a balcony is in order. I have had the good fortune to have gone to Alaska on many occasions and seen it out of a port hole, an obstructed view window and a balcony but having done it all I would not pay for a balcony again. Alaska tends to be pretty port intensive and the weather can be pretty iffy both of which will limit your use of a balcony. On your glacier day(s) you really want to be out on deck or you will only see half it. If you want to see all of the scenery that Alaska offers you do not want to be trying to sit on a balcony, you really need to be out on deck and looking around.

If this is a first and only trip to Alaska then perhaps a splurge for a balcony is in order. I have had the good fortune to have gone to Alaska on many occasions and seen it out of a port hole, an obstructed view window and a balcony but having done it all I would not pay for a balcony again. Alaska tends to be pretty port intensive and the weather can be pretty iffy both of which will limit your use of a balcony. On your glacier day(s) you really want to be out on deck or you will only see half it. If you want to see all of the scenery that Alaska offers you do not want to be trying to sit on a balcony, you really need to be out on deck and looking around.

That's another good point. Our cruise was nearly 4.5 days at sea so there was a LOT of ship time. Plus it doesn't get dark much so you can see for a long time. This was hubby's and my first (and probably only) Alaska trip and worth every penny for the balcony.

It sounds like you got a great deal and made a good choice to go with the large OV. It's all truly a matter of personal preference, and as much as I will only travel in a balcony cabin now, having traveled in inside and OV cabins, I can say that price increase was a bit steep.

I traveled to Alaska last June in a balcony cabin and would not pass it up for the world which is why I have one for my 2nd Alaskan cruise this September. To get up at 5:00 am in the morning and to just go outside on my own balcony in my pj's and jacket of course, was so much better than having to dress to go up on deck. I also could go back and forth in and out of the room if it became too cold or if I had to use the bathroom. It was also nice to be up on deck, but if you're viewing glaciers and you move from your spot to use the bathroom you could very well lose your spot and then have to search for another depending on how big the crowd is.

All in all, sounds like you got a great deal and a great cabin. Enjoy the beauty that is Alaska!

Thanks all! :)

I think I'm still very happy with the room we got - and the huge window will make it feel like a balcony without the ability to go outside!

And thank you for the reminder about the bridge-cam - I've been known to use that as my window when sailing in some inside rooms in the past!