First time in Jamaica...is this possible?

Moomduck1

We have a one day stop in Jamaica. There is so much that I would like to do there! I don't see how I can fit it all in. I have seen pictures of Dunn's Falls for as long as I can remember, and I have always dreamed of going there and holding hands while walking through the water. I'm realizing that it might not be quite what I've always thought, and will more than likely be very crowded in April. However, I'm wondering if I will regret skipping it. Is it worth it?

The bobsled ride seems very cool at Mystic Mountain. I also like the idea of combining it with ziplining, because I think our adult kids will enjoy that as well. However, we have ziplined in Alaska, so if we don't have time for it, that's ok.

I was thinking of contacting one of the private guides to take the 6 of us to Dunn's Falls and also to Mystic Mountain. And that Blue Hole looks pretty awesome too. Is all of that over-reaching? We are in port 8am to 5pm, which I realize we will have less time than that on shore.

Our port is Ocho Rios

Most of the places mention jerk chicken. My daughter is a vegetarian. Will she have trouble finding food?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Moomduck1

Which port?

Basically, pick 2, add a lunch stop, and a couple of sightseeing stops.

Unless you are coming into Ocho Rios I do not think you can do Mystic Mountain, Dunn River Falls, and Blue Hole.

It is Ocho Rios. I should have mentioned that. I added it to my post, thank you.

OK, so Ocho Rios is close to all 3 of those and you could probably squeeze in all 3. However, I hear the zip lining at Mystic Mountain can get backed up and ends up taking several hours so I would scratch that from the list there.

If I was to pick what to do again in Ocho Rios my first choice would be Blue Hole it was amazing. We were in port from 10-5 which means back to boat by 4:30 and the time seemed to fly. We were able to go to the Blue Hole, Scotchies, Bamboo Blue beach, some sight seeing and a stop off for my son to play soccer. So if you are one of the first ones off the ship you whould be able to get a lot in. I would contact a private company and they will know what you can fit in and make sure you make it back in time.

I think if you've always wanted to do Dunn's River Falls, you should. Yes, you 've seen it in pictures, but I think the pictures don't do it justice. While it will be crowded in April, as popular as the Blue Hole is getting, by next April it will be too.

Since it's your first time, I would do Dunn's River and Mystic Mountain. They are almost across the street from each other. Do not plan on doing all three in one stop. Could you fit it in? Probably, but why rush and worry about the next place and try and squeeze. Odds are, you'll fall in love with cruising and or Jamaica and go back again someday. I've been there 10 + times on both cruises and land stays and have yet to double up on anything I've seen (except Dunn's because we had others with us that wanted to do it). Plan on only doing two and lunch somewhere and you'll have a blast.

• 2 weeks later...

We wanted to try Dunns falls, but found out about Irie Blue Hole and were SO glad we did that instead after driving by the zoo that was Dunns, even from the road we could see it was wall to wall people.

We used Liberty Tours and went on a great tour of the island in an air

conditioned van with a great guide, arrived at the blue hole which is up in the mountains, has a great waterfall that you can jump from into the

most interesting pool of beautiful blue water, included was lunch at

scotchies as well. Dunns is so touristy and packed, glad we went off

the beaten path to this gem tucked up in the mountains, couldnt have

been more than 20 people there total and guides are provided to guide you up the waterfall.

We wanted to try Dunns falls, but found out about Irie Blue Hole and were SO glad we did that instead after driving by the zoo that was Dunns, even from the road we could see it was wall to wall people.

We used Liberty Tours and went on a great tour of the island in an air

conditioned van with a great guide, arrived at the blue hole which is up in the mountains, has a great waterfall that you can jump from into the

most interesting pool of beautiful blue water, included was lunch at

scotchies as well. Dunns is so touristy and packed, glad we went off

the beaten path to this gem tucked up in the mountains, couldnt have

been more than 20 people there total and guides are provided to guide you up the waterfall.

Was this a private tour or one of the packages from Liberty Tours website? Was the cost reasonable? I didn't see any pricing information on the website and we have 8 in our group. Lunch at Scotchies seems to be the place to go :)

Thanks.

Don't miss the falls. Get a private guide, get off the ship early. Get there early. We had finished climbing it before any of the big buses arrived. No long snaky lines for us, just a guide and our family of four.

We did the river tubing after. Awesome day.

Walk fast as you leave because you walk through a 'market area' - they were extremely pushy and kept reaching out to grab us.