Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

jerseygirl3

I want to make sure I've got this straight. Anybody from the cruise ships can just walk into this resort and use their property for the day free of charge? That just doesn't sound right,but that seems to be what I've read on these boards. Can someone please clarify? We will be in St. Maarten next week and it sounds like a place we'd like to spend a beach day, but I don't want to look like a moocher. I'd be happy to pay a day rate, but can't seem to find any information about that. I've even emailed the resort, but gotten no reply.

I am also wondering the same thing about DIVI. Can you pay a day rate to use their facilities, ie: showers, pools? Or can you just use them if you are utilizing some of their other things like umbrella rental and restaurant usage.

Also, how crowded is Little Bay when cruise ships are in town? We are not looking for a packed beach. Would like a little solitude.

If anybody can help, we are trying to decide between Dawn Beach, Isle Pinel and DIVI Little Bay. We wish to do one of these on our own and not with the ship's cattle herd. Anythoughts on the pros or cons to these 3 would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in this resort as well. The Carnival site offers it as a shore tour, but says you will pay for this visit. Includes a BBQ and two non-alcholic beverages.

DH and I enjoyed our Passion Island visit in Cozumel, and are looking for something similar at St. Maarten, Barbados, or Martinique.

There is a LOT of info on this board about Divi Beach - I posted some info on this thread in the last week or so: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=51704&page=17&pp=25

Also if you do a search for "divi" you will find tons of info in this St. Martin board. Good Luck. We leave this Saturday 10/1 and we plan on going to Little Divi Bay when we arrive in St. Martin. Happy Sailing! ;)

We are thinking of doing this as a shore tour through our Celebrity ship. It includes beach chairs, a barbecue lunch and 2 complimentary beverages each. I think they are charging $42 pp. It is worth the price cause If we did this on our own, it would probably cost us almost as much after paying out-of-pocket for taxi fares and tips each way, beach chairs, lunch and drinks. The 4-1/2 hour tour seems more convenient.

Cindy

Taxi = $12 (2 people RT)

Beach Chairs = $12 (2 people)

2 cokes (or equiv) = $2

That would leave $58 for lunch (2 people) to match the tour price.

As always, the tour pricing is a ripoff.

We are on the Glory 10/29 and my SIL uses a wheelchair because she can't walk great distances. We often do excursions through the ship because their transportation will hold the wheelchair for us until we return on the same bus. Otherwise my BIL just carries it when we get to the beach and my husband (her brother) helps her or carries her to the beach chairs ocean etc. Can anyone help me with the distances from the curb to ocean side. I was thinking of calling them and explaining this situation-some hotels have track's for the wheelchairs down the sand. Any info would help Thank you so much. Polly

I did this last week, I was on Explorer of the Seas. The resort is not close to the ship. There were peddlers on the beach, each one would come by to offer whatever they had - just a little no thank you and they were on their way if you wern't interested. It wasn't terrible. We went through the cruiseline when we booked online. The beach wasn't over crowded - usually at this port the America's Cup is a popular excursion. We brought our own mask and snorkel to use but, it was a bit wavy due to the storms previously moving through. The beach was clean - no litter. We had a BBQ lunch provided chicken & ribs. You were also given 2 drink tickets to use for beer, soda, or water. They had a nice little area to eat at. There were lizards running around. They played music from a CD. Though the boat you were provided with a lounge chair. They rent umbrellas for I think $5 or $10. (I didn't rent one) - I was there for the sun. I didn't check out the resort. Just got some sun and hung out in the water. Do bring a camera - disposable or digital, the scenery is beautiful.

Tami

Would still like to know what you can and can not use "on" the resort? Such as the pools, rest. etc. Assuming that you book the excursion from the cruise line (RCCL).

We were there last week. Took a cab $4.00 PP about a 10 min ride. You can rent chairs, umbrella'a and mats. We didn't use the pool but walked by it. This time of the year is off season and their wern't many people staying in the resort. We could of used the pool but opt. for the water. It's so beautiful. Warm blue water and sandy. Music playing and everyone had clothes on. The shops are expensive so I didn't shop there. We didn't go through the cruise ship we did it on our own. Always taxi's waiting when you get off the ship and at the resort. I hope this helps.

Maddie

Is there a reason? Or just a personal preference? Thanks!

Here is a little more info ... I am thinking of booking the St. Maarten beach break through CCL the description says

Begin your journey with a fully narrated, scenic drive from the Dutch capitol of Phillipsburg to a typical Caribbean beach.

Drive through the Simpson Bay area, home to many trendy local bars and restaurants, en route to the beautiful white sand beach where you can relax, soak up the sun and swim in the clear Caribbean waters.

Maybe this doesn't actually go to Simpson Bay but just through it .. has anyone done this? Does it go to a different beach? Sorry for my confusion :confused: thanks for helping me straighten it out :)

Maddie- Were there any nice fish in the water? We all like to snorkel. As I explained above my SIL doesn't walk very well so she loves to be in the water so she can move around without others having to always help her. Also how long did you guys stay there? I have heard through previous posts the food is good. Did you have lunch?

Maddie- Were there any nice fish in the water? We all like to snorkel. As I explained above my SIL doesn't walk very well so she loves to be in the water so she can move around without others having to always help her. Also how long did you guys stay there? I have heard through previous posts the food is good. Did you have lunch?

I really don't know about the snorkling, we just went there to soke up the sun and swim in the clear blue water. We missed the lunch they served. The only set it up for about an hour. So when we went up there it was over. They set it up outside. i did here it was good. The resturant at the resort was closed when we were there. We were there from 10:00 am till about 2:00 pm. Like I stated before it was off season almost all of the people on the beach were from the cruise ship. Almost cleared out when we were leaving.

Maddie

Is there a reason? Or just a personal preference? Thanks!

Here is a little more info ... I am thinking of booking the St. Maarten beach break through CCL the description says

Begin your journey with a fully narrated, scenic drive from the Dutch capitol of Phillipsburg to a typical Caribbean beach.

Drive through the Simpson Bay area, home to many trendy local bars and restaurants, en route to the beautiful white sand beach where you can relax, soak up the sun and swim in the clear Caribbean waters.

Maybe this doesn't actually go to Simpson Bay but just through it .. has anyone done this? Does it go to a different beach? Sorry for my confusion :confused: thanks for helping me straighten it out :)

The Simpson Bay area consists of Simpson Bay, a narrow strip of restaurants, bars and marinas, and Simpson Lagoon. There is a continuous beach along Simpson Bay but the majority of beach spots are in front of private residences. One beach (Kim Sha Beach) is public but it really isn't much to speak of. The big problem is that Simpson Bay is sheltered by adjacent hillsides. Prevaling winds come from the opposite side of the island thus there is little or no breeze and often quite hot during the day. There are no public facilities at Kim Sha Beach but there is a nice bar.

The restaurants/bars along the strip between Simpson Bay and Simpson Lagoon are largely nighttime action.

The key word on the tour description is "enroute". Without doubt the beautiful white sand beach is Mullet Beach on the site of a former high-end resort which was destroyed by a hurricane.

Archived