Oosterdam - jogging on promenade deck?

dcsam

There is nothing wrong with jogging during early hours. If we do away with it completely we should just say HAL only caters to older folks. That is silly. Limiting it to early morning hours would be great.

Again, that would depend on if there are cabins underneath. There is also a track up on the sports deck where you can jog.

For KONINGSDAM.... Joggers have their own dedicated Jogging Track!

It runs around the Magrodome located on Deck 11. Distance around.... roughly 500ft. Rounded corners.

There are no suitable areas for jogging. Most of deck 11 is for deck chairs.

Prom Deck... Deck 3. Definitely no jogging. There are two many twists and turns and not enough room to make ANY safe passing areas for walkers or joggers.

For KONINGSDAM.... Joggers have their own dedicated Jogging Track!

It runs around the Magrodome located on Deck 11. Distance around.... roughly 500ft. Rounded corners.

There are no suitable areas for jogging. Most of deck 11 is for deck chairs.

Prom Deck... Deck 3. Definitely no jogging. There are two many twists and turns and not enough room to make ANY safe passing areas for walkers or joggers.

If this is the case, it's a pity that no one told the people responsible for the Koningsdam website:

2ja5pv.jpg

This seems so typical of HAL's unfornute habit of presenting conflicting information.

I'm under the impression that jogging isn't allowed on the Promenade deck. I would imagine joggers wouldn't find it an easy jog, regardless. There are lots of doors in/out, and people to potentially run into.

There is, however, a pretty good gym. Also the sports deck seems like a much safer / easier place to jog.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

I love to run and do so regularly at home and while cruising.

The jogging situation on HAL ships is far from ideal, but I manage to make it work.

My understanding is that jogging is specifically banned on most ships. If there is a sign prohibiting jogging, then I don't see anything to talk about.

HAL is not helping by putting contradictory information in their brochures and marketing material. If HAL advertises that it is possible to jog on the Promenade Deck and there is no sign to prohibit it, how can you object when somebody does it? I realize you might not like sharing the space, but you can say that about any public area. I suppose you could petition HAL to prohibit it on the Vista ships or the Konigsdam, but until they do, I wouldn't come down so hard on people who enjoy the fresh air and teak deck while jogging.

By the way, the "jogging track" on the sports deck is pretty awful for running. I've done it many times. It's exposed to the weather and almost always wet and slippery in the mornings. It's a very short loop and there is a series of obstacles blocking the flow through the sport courts, not to mention the loungers that are often spread around at the rear. If that new "track" on the Konigsdam is really only 500 feet, that sounds pretty useless as well.

I never jog on the Promenade Deck as it is usually crowded and I don't like weaving my way through people traveling at different speeds. It would be a great place to run if it were empty (and legal), but that isn't the case.

For all the above reasons, I run on the treadmills. I prefer to run outside, but there is't a practical way for me to do it on the cruise ships. I'm sure there are inconsiderate joggers on HAL ships, just like there are inconsiderate walkers and inconsiderate people in the Lido. Not all runners are that way and some us do actually try to consider our impact on others, no matter what the rules are.

Tante Amalie,

You can't find every facility in every ship the same. Example.... Tamrind Restaurant on EURODAM and Nw AMSTERDAM.... says there is one on the brochure... but not all the other ship. Every ship is different layouts and you have to go with the flow.

KONINGSDAM.... have you looked at the Deck Plans in the on line brochure? On this new ship it clearly shows that the JOGGING TRACK on Sun Deck 10. It is there for all joggers as they wish and walkers are not allowed.

Look at the Deck Plan for the Promenade Deck. You must be able to see that the deck is narrow.... not like in the old ships and there are so many twists and corners it would be impossible to run at all. I can see you bumping walkers every two steps. Check for yourself. I'm not making it up. the information is there for you see. Even worse.... if you insist in running on Promenade Deck... not matter what time it might be.... it would be VERY DANGEROUS... it is narrow and anyone can come around a corner and WACK! Take your own risk.... it would be you own fault and liable too!