Going on our first cruise...December 2016.

Tigger05

We wanted to take our son to WDW for his 5th birthday in October 2016 before he starts school the following year. After reviewing and talking it over with friends, we decided to do a DCL cruise instead. We also decided to go in December so that we have the added Christmas decor as a bonus. Last week, they finally released the cruise dates for that time period and we are booked!!!

We leave on 12/17 and return on 12/24. We'll be on the Fantasy, Port Canaveral. My plan is to fly in on 12/16 and fly out on 12/25. I'm hoping that plane tickets will be better flying home on Christmas Day. We'll see how that goes.

Right now, we are doing an Deluxe Inside Stateroom. While I would love a Verandah, we decided we would not spend enough time in the room for it to really make a difference, but the separate bathroom areas in the cabin were more important so that's where we are spending the extra money.

The travel agent got us in the middle of the ship in Stateroom 9547. Does anyone have any idea if this is a good location? I'll have completed a knee replacement early that year in January so that's my only concern and by then I should be just fine.

So at sailing time, it will be me (51), wife, (42) and son (5). We are looking forward to the kids club and having some time to actually enjoy kid-free dining or swimming. My only concern is that he will not want to leave the club!! I want to experience some of the wonder that is Disney through his eyes, too.

I've stalked the forum for awhile so while I think I know what to expect, I probably don't. I think I'm most concerned about check-in and embarking and then checking out and debarking. I also need to plan hotels for before and after, but I'm going to wait a bit before I concern myself with those.

So if you've read this far, you've done well! I figure you would have gotten bored much sooner. :)

Thanks

Trish

I think you have a great location near to the pool deck.

Easier to pop up and drab a drink or snack.

My only concern would be that the Midships elevators are the most used and waiting for them could be troublesome in peak "rush hour" periods, such as dining times, or show times.

ex techie

Don't worry about the embarking and disembarking. It's a breeze.

Disney makes it simple and easy to do.

The Christmas decorations will be beautiful.

I have not been on the Fantasy, but was on the Dream.

You can read my review here, it gives some details about pre-cruise and getting off and on the ship

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1412310

Your location is fine--reasonably close to everything. That's the advantage of being midship. And if the place you are going is either forward or aft, you can walk to those elevators which usually have a shorter wait.

And if you have knee surgery in January and you aren't up to snuff by December, you have a bigger problem than the cruise.

Thanks for the heads up on the elevator. I'll be sure to check out other elevator options even if they are a bit of a walk. It will be good rehab. With little man along, being able to pop up to the deck for snacks will be a good thing.

I had the other knee replaced almost 2 years ago and it was a full year before it felt back to normal. And during winter here in the cold Midwest, it still gives me a little trouble. However, not nearly as much as before.

Okay, off to read Reba's review!

Edited by Tigger05

On the Fantasy, family snacks (not real food, but mini-servings of cakes, etc.) are available at the Vista Cafe on deck 4. This is like the Cove Cafe, but is in a family area so open to all ages. And as noted, you are near the pool deck for "food" snack items.

You'll have a blast. Just before Christmas is my favorite time on the ships although we usually plan earlier in December. OK, September is another of my favorite times...it varies!

Edited by moki'smommy