Embarking in Puerto Rico

karinad

If we fly into San Juan to catch the ship back to Port Canaveral, and we buy some rum, would we be allowed to bring it on board like other ports of call, or would it be take like when you first board the ship and not allowed? We are thinking about doing the return part of the cruise from San Juan back to Port Canaveral in Dec.

Last year we dropped off all our bags including our carry On with the porters at about 830 AM and then went to the ferry to the Bacardi Rum tour. We were on the first one of the day Then came back and explored San Juan, had a very nice dinner at one of the local Bars and finally checked in about 7 pm. When we got to our Cabin all of our bags where there waiting for us.

Don't forget - one of the perks of leaving from San Juan is the liquor store between check in and getting on the ship. You can load up on liquor, just put them discreetly into a back back or carry on and take them right onto the ship with you! :D

Don't forget - one of the perks of leaving from San Juan is the liquor store between check in and getting on the ship. You can load up on liquor, just put them discreetly into a back back or carry on and take them right onto the ship with you! :D

It's been a few years since we've sailed from SJU, but don't you have to go through security between the liquor store and the ship? Maybe this has changed now?

It's been a few years since we've sailed from SJU, but don't you have to go through security between the liquor store and the ship? Maybe this has changed now?

We did the same thing. Someone else can jump in here, but it is almost as they look the other way. We had 2 bottles of rum and just walked right through the scanners in our carry on bag.

Forgot to add- The CVS Pharmacy is right across the street. Bought Coke to go with the rum there cheap.

Edited by HawkIVette
Coke at CVS store

We did the same thing. Someone else can jump in here, but it is almost as they look the other way. We had 2 bottles of rum and just walked right through the scanners in our carry on bag.

Forgot to add- The CVS Pharmacy is right across the street. Bought Coke to go with the rum there cheap.

Yes, security in San Juan is not all alcohol policing like at the other ports. In San Juan you could carry on a liquor store and they probably would not bat an eye. On our last cruise from San Juan, security was not tagging any alcohol. If they do, people know just to remove the tag on the gangway between security and the alcohol table on the ship.

Oh, and about 12:30pm average for our cruises out of SJ.

Edited by ZanziBarred

I boarded about noon, had lunch then got back off the ship to walk around the city some more.

Security did not seem very concerned with bringing alcohol on the ship at any of the ports. I brought at least one bottle back on at each port and only once did they mention checking it in, and even then they did not follow up to verify I checked it in.

I loved this cruise so much I'm doing it again in July!

We checked in, walked into the store which was between checkin and ship, bought the booze, put it in our back pack or carry on and just strolled onto the ship. This was 2 years ago, but last I heard, it was the same on recent cruises. I bought a bottle of rum, and sister bought 2 bottles of Jack lol. I don't generally smuggle booze, but when they throw it right out there, I will take advantage... :D

I'm not sure where the CCL Dream is docked in P.R., but, where is a convenient and not to expensive place to stay? Since we'll get in late afternoon, and have to check out the next day, are we better off staying near the airport if the rates are cheaper?

First time thru security we didn't even have ours separated per person, most in a few bags and nothing was said. Plus one of our group was underage by US standards, only 20, but we had a bottle for 'her' too. Figured the worst thing they would do would be to confiscate it since technically she couldn't have one. Nor do they record if you have already brought some on board. Half of our group went back out to finish touring one of the forts and came back with more. In the end the wine drinkers had 14 bottles on board!

Edited by aztekpm

I'm not sure where the CCL Dream is docked in P.R., but, where is a convenient and not to expensive place to stay? Since we'll get in late afternoon, and have to check out the next day, are we better off staying near the airport if the rates are cheaper?

Everything is pretty convenient to airport and cruiseport in San Juan. That being said, do you want to stay in Old San Juan? It's more expensive there. We stayed at Embassy Suites right by the airport and about 15 minutes by cab to the cruiseport very inexpensively. You will find lots more info on the Port of call board for San Juan. Enjoy your cruise.

We boarded at noon in April.

I think the Sheraton is the most convenient place to stay since it's across the street and you can literally wheel your luggage over to the port as long as you don't have mobility issues and you aren't lugging a bunch of extra stuff. It might be a little harder with kids, strollers, and a bunch of carryons.

Old San Juan is nice, but I would recommend staying in Coronado or Isla Verde. Nice beach and ocean front properties and only a 10-15 minute taxi ride to the cruise port. We stayed at the InterContinental and had such a great time there we currently making plans to go back and stay there for a week next year.

Edited by ZanziBarred

• 4 weeks later...