Ever work on a cruise ship?

Reese88

Onboard Celebrity Summit I met the instructor for the computer lab. As we talked I learned that he was retired and both he and his wife were volunteer instructors and did not get paid. However, what they did get was to cruise 4-6 weeks a year (or more if wanted), a cabin, all meals, all the same privileges as a paying guest, and all airfare paid to get them to the ship. In return they have to teach several classes and run the lab. He said that even with that they have lots of free time to enjoy the ship and the ports. Sounds like a nice thing to consider.

Does anyone know how to go about applying for one of these type positions? It is something I would be interested in when I retire.

Thanks

WilliamC: This is what I did for NCL, although I was paid to be aboard and to set up their computer program for passengers.

It differs from line to line and most use contractors to place these instructors aboard.

Hopefully, someone can give you specific contact info.

I taught computer classes aboard in the 1980s for HAL and Regency so this has been around a long time.

Skeewe - a question on auto tipping.

Do the staff (room steward/dining waitress) find out if a cabin has turned off their auto tipping?

I ask only because we kept ours on and then gave a little extra at the end and the steward seemed disappointed. I posted here to ask about tipping and majority said that it's possible the steward may have thought I stopped the auto tip and would have to contribute the "extra" to the pool and that was all they were getting.

Every time I cruise I always wonder how being a cruise shio nurse compares to working in land. Since you do not get tips how is the pay? Also I read that the "level" of job you had would impact which sort of accomodations you had. Where do nurses fall in the pecking order?

The pay "sucks" LOL ! but then you don't have meals or utility bills to pay! Its really for the experience, and you would be amazed, sometimes horrified at what we have to do.....yes the cabins differ. I was the senior Nurse so had my own cabin, (eventually) usually you share bunks...not pleasant, especially when one of you is on call! They are very small!

I have to say that I had many experiences good and bad but the camaraderie and friendships amongst the crew was wonderful. I really enjoyed it most of the time I was onboard. As a nurse there are definately more perks than as a regular crew member.

Archived