Carnival Splendor vs HAL Westerdam - Help me decide!

HawksFan74

We (me, wife, and DD) are looking to do an Eastern Caribbean cruise in early December. This would be our 2nd cruise overall (after Miracle last November) and our first time visiting the Caribbean.

The two cruises I have my eye on are Carnival Splendor on Dec 6 or HAL Westerdam on Dec 5. Both have virtually identical itineraries (same ports, different order: Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk). We were perfectly happy with Carnival last time but wouldn't mind trying another line if the price were right. With the current promotion, DD would sail free on HAL, making the price for 3 of us in a balcony cabin pretty much the same on either cruise.

DW and I are in our early 40's, DD will be 4. Which of these two ships would be a better fit for us? I know that HAL has a reputation of having a much older clientele, but does it provide a more "upscale" experience? Is the food better?

My main concerns are: would there be enough to do on Westerdam to keep DD busy? For example, she enjoyed the mini golf on the Miracle, but apparently Westerdam doesn't have mini golf. Both lines have kids clubs, but would there be enough other kids on HAL to keep it interesting? One last thing to consider, DW and I aren't that big on getting all dressed up for dinner, and I do know that Carnival has a more relaxed dress code in the MDR. That said, I think we could bring the clothes to make it work on HAL if we need to.

P.S. One more idea to throw into the mix: There is a Carnival Breeze 8-day on Dec 5 (ports: Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten). This one would work too (but we would probably get an ocean view to bring the cost down).

I've been on the Splendor twice and the Westerdam once. Honestly, without going into too much detail, I'd say to sail on the Splendor. Although in my opinion the service and the food is better on HAL, your daughter will most likely be bored out of her mind. ;)

I think the activities for kiddos are better on Carnival, so it would depend whether you're willing to sacrifice that for potential advantages with HAL. I can't speak to HAL myself. Are there any westerdam reviews written by those traveling with small children?

We sailed on the Westerdam to Alaska, and although we had an absolutely fantastic cruise, I would hesitate to take my family on Holland again, at least until the kids are older (they are 5 and 3).

Yes, it's a more refined experience. Think white gloved service, fresh flowers throughout the ship, room service delivered in fine china, laundry wrapped in tissue paper with a gold seal delivered in a wicker basket, a multi million dollar art collection throughout the ship, upgraded toiletries, dining venues like the Pinnacle Club, and most pleasantly, no stupid announcements over the loudspeaker every 30 minutes telling you to play bingo, participate in the hairy chest contest, buy an inch of gold, or try some free liquor. Although all of these are wonderful and much appreciated by a more discerning crowd, your little one will not care about any of that.

The ship did have kids facilities, Club HAL, and my kids went ONE time and hated it. The facilities were small and gloomy, although the list of activities was pretty extensive. It just didn't look very appealing.

About the ship, yes it's indeed more elegant, but it's "old school" elegant (think old people). The ship overall is a bit on the gloomy side. Dark colors, somewhat enclosed, small atrium. Etc. But it does have some exceptional venues, like the Crow's Nest, all the way forward, The spa, and the glass enclosed pool deck.

My overall assessment is that I would choose HAL for a unique itinerary for just my wife and I, but I would shy away from them on a cookie cutter Caribbean cruise with the kids in tow when there are so many other family friendly options.

Edited by Tapi

HAL does not cater to children nor families for that matter. I wouldn't choose HAL if I was sailing with a little kid. Splendor is awesome, the mini golf is a lot of fun and you'll probably have some (not tons as school is in session) kids. I can't recall if there was a kids water works or not on Splendor but if there is your kid will love it too!

I'm gonna throw in a vote for Westerdam. I haven't sailed on Splendor yet, although I'll be on her in the fall so I've researched a lot. But I've been on the similar Conquest-class ships Liberty and Glory, and absolutely loved them.

That said, Westerdam is - in my opinion - the most beautiful and elegant mid to large size ship at sea. She's just stunning. Every detail blew me away. Incredible layout, easy to navigate, gorgeous and tasteful art, and really well done food. All the public spaces were delightful.

In particular, the Crow's Nest area on deck 10 at the front of the ship is amazing. Has a bar and library and huge floor-to-ceiling windows that wrap all the way around the front of the ship. Amazing!

All that said, Carnival wins out on entertainment and water activities, and probably is better for kids. Both lines have great food.

Really, I think either choice is going to be amazing. If it were me, I'd go Westerdam.

We never sailed HAL but have sailed Splendor twice and again in 28 days.

I would say Splendor is more kid friendly with slides and a water park. The kids clubs do a good job

The spa on Splendor is huge and excellent.

With the current promotion, DD would sail free on HAL, making the price for 3 of us in a balcony cabin pretty much the same on either cruise.

One last thing to consider, DW and I aren't that big on getting all dressed up for dinner, and I do know that Carnival has a more relaxed dress code in the MDR. That said, I think we could bring the clothes to make it work on HAL if we need to.

To address those questions/comments:

HAL is not as popular with young families as other cruise lines. That's one of the reasons why you see their "kids sail free" promotions (and these are REAL promos, not like the ones on Carnival where they jack up the prices for the first and second guest. We took advantage of a similar promo on the Westerdam to Alaska and our kids sailed for free, which brought the overall cost of the cruise to less than Carnival. But there were very few families with small children onboard. Now that I think about it, I don't remember any kids the same age as mine!

Dress code: Yes, you will dress up on formal night, and so will everybody else. And expect real formal wear, not Carnival's "elegant" attire. Khakis/polo shirt or capris with sparkly flip flops will not work. And expect people to remain dressed up in the formal attire for the remainder of the evening (unlike on Carnival where people make a mad dash back to their cabins after dinner to change back to jeans and t-shirts).

I have cruised on the Splendor and it's a very nice ship and your DD will have a nice time. Have been on two HAL cruises years ago and there were very few kids. HAL attracts an older population and IMO you'll have a nicer time on the Splendor.

I've only been on Splendor, so can't comment on HAL.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on Splendor. Splendor has a nice water park and slide. Maybe have a look at Splendor and Westerdam photo reviews to help you decide! :)

Good luck and happy planning!

In particular, the Crow's Nest area on deck 10 at the front of the ship is amazing. Has a bar and library and huge floor-to-ceiling windows that wrap all the way around the front of the ship. Amazing!

One of my favorite public spaces on any ship I've been on. It was stocked with great magazines, books, games and a coffee "shop" - I believe the area was "sponsored" by the NY Times. A beautiful grown up space.

We (me, wife, and DD) are looking to do an Eastern Caribbean cruise in early December. This would be our 2nd cruise overall (after Miracle last November) and our first time visiting the Caribbean.

The two cruises I have my eye on are Carnival Splendor on Dec 6 or HAL Westerdam on Dec 5. Both have virtually identical itineraries (same ports, different order: Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk). We were perfectly happy with Carnival last time but wouldn't mind trying another line if the price were right. With the current promotion, DD would sail free on HAL, making the price for 3 of us in a balcony cabin pretty much the same on either cruise.

DW and I are in our early 40's, DD will be 4. Which of these two ships would be a better fit for us? I know that HAL has a reputation of having a much older clientele, but does it provide a more "upscale" experience? Is the food better?

My main concerns are: would there be enough to do on Westerdam to keep DD busy? For example, she enjoyed the mini golf on the Miracle, but apparently Westerdam doesn't have mini golf. Both lines have kids clubs, but would there be enough other kids on HAL to keep it interesting? One last thing to consider, DW and I aren't that big on getting all dressed up for dinner, and I do know that Carnival has a more relaxed dress code in the MDR. That said, I think we could bring the clothes to make it work on HAL if we need to.

P.S. One more idea to throw into the mix: There is a Carnival Breeze 8-day on Dec 5 (ports: Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten). This one would work too (but we would probably get an ocean view to bring the cost down).

If you do not like dressing up for dinner, be aware that on HAL you can call and have tonight's dining room menu delivered to your cabin, then place your order over the phone and the dining room hot meal will be delivered to your cabin. There's no extra charge. On my last HAL cruise, I did not want to dress for formal night, so I enjoyed my surf and turf on my cabin balcony. It was a highlight of my cruise. I also enjoyed hot breakfast in my cabin every morning at no extra charge.

That is one way that HAL provides a more upscale experience. On my last HAL cruise, every stateroom had a DVD player in the cabin, so your 4 year old could enjoy her own DVDs in the cabin, or there is a library of DVDs onboard you can borrow from.

I doubt you will encounter many kids on any cruise line in early December.

I think HAL's beverage package is better than Carnival's because it includes bottled water and coffee shop coffees such as cappuccino. HAL also has better stateroom showerheads. I think most of HAL's cabins have full bathtubs except for some inside cabins, and that might make it easier to bathe a 4 year old. If you would prefer a cooking demonstration over a hairy chest contest, HAL might be for you. HAL's food is great, and the buffets are especially better than Carnival's. You will see an older clientele on HAL. The atmosphere is more subdued.

I hope you have a great cruise with your family.

Edited by winddawn

One of my favorite public spaces on any ship I've been on. It was stocked with great magazines, books, games and a coffee "shop" - I believe the area was "sponsored" by the NY Times. A beautiful grown up space.

I agree! I loved that space too when I sailed HAL. And the afternoon happy hour there was enjoyable with hot appetizers included.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think we have decided to go with Splendor.

Splendor does have a nice little kids water park.

Yes I see that now. My DD caught me looking at this photo on my screen and said, "Daddy, I want to go there!" Is Splendor the only Carnival ship that has one of these?

IMG_2576.jpg

I have cruised on HAL & Carnival. HAL is always going to be a smaller ship. And with older clientele that are less likely to get off at the ports, getting off/on the ship will be much easier. Food is way better on HAL. Do not worry about the dress code. First, every night with the exception of the formal nights, all the MDR food is also served in the Lido buffet. And they make the buffet very lovely at night. This will be great with a 4 year old. If you like drinks, HAL has happy hour daily. Their room service is great. Both have amazing steakhouses. I would lean towards HAL personally.

Edited by hbsurfcitycruiser
Typo :)