Grandmother Needs Advice

bonniew88

I'm taking my 6 year old granddaughter on Disney Wonder for her birthday next February. It's just the two of us and I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it really special. I've taken her big sister on a few trips so it's her turn to be fussed over. I want to do it up big. Your thoughts and suggestions are really appreciated.:)

How long is your trip and what are the ports?

You can order birthday decorations that will be put up in your room before you board--IMHO not worth the money, but......

I would get her a couple of princess dresses. You'll get the best price if you buy them right after Halloween. They typically go to 75% off at the Disney store and on line. Little girls who wear the dresses get a lot of attention on the ship and she can do pictures with the same princess as her dress. The Wonder doesn't have a Bippidy boppidy boutique, so that is out. Check and see if they will do a child's manicure on the ship--this changes from time to time. Alternatively, do a spa day before the cruise and get manicures and pedicures. If you are flying in a day or two before the cruise and going out of PC, go to Downtown Disney and do BBB--but I think the Wonder is going out of Miami in February so this will not work.

They will do a birthday celebration in the dining room with a birthday dessert and singing. Note it on your reservation. Get an "It's my Birthday" pin from Guest Services so she can wear it all day--again, gets lots of attention.

Decorate your door on the ship (magnets only, no tape or sticky stuff). Gets attention from others on the floor.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks for the responses. We are doing a 5-day out of Miami. Ports are Cozumel and ?Cay. Her actual birthday is two weeks before the cruise so we won't be celebrating on the ship. Princess dresses are a good suggestion. Do you know if they'll have a princess tea in February? I've read that sometimes they substitute a photo op with the Frozen ladies instead. I know it's a long way off but I want to be prepared and this forum is so helpful.

The Frozen meet and greet and the tea are two different things (not one or the other). There are 2 different teas--the Royal Tea on the Fantasy (as far as I know is not on other ships) is very expensive. You can see what is included on the DCL web site. There is also a princess gathering (4-5 princesses doing meet and greet at the same time), and "Tea with Whomever" which may have been discontinued. All of these require complimentary tickets that you would get at Guest Services after boarding. Check the Welcome Aboard Navigator that you will get in the terminal to be sure that they are available at GS rather than a different location.

Frozen characters have been on all of the longer cruises recently. Not sure about the 3-4 nighters. Your best bet will be to ask someone who is on the Wonder shortly before your cruise. You are a long time out now and things change regularly on DCL.

At 6, going on a cruise with grandma alone is pretty special. All of the regular stuff on the cruise is more than enough. I agree to get a couple princess dresses and also to join is fish extender group--she will love getting little gifts each day and bragging over her loot when she gets home--but you have to make little gifts for 10 rooms in return--LOL! For those not crafty, there are tons of ideas online--or anything in the $1-5 range with Mickey, etc. on it.

When my DD was that age, I bought a fancy ponytail hairpiece that she wore with here princess dresses. She can wear a princess dress on formal night and also on the night you are in the fanciest restaurant. For a 6 yr old, DCL will be so over the top that nothing else is necessary. have a great trip! Elaine (ps--you can still celebrate DCL style for a Bday 2 weeks earlier--just have then note it on the reservation--they'll bring a fancy little cupcake and sing at dinner.)

Edited by elaine5

She can wear a princess dress any night she wants to--we sat with one little girl who told us she had one for each night!

You don't have to MAKE fish extender gifts, but you do have to get and distribute them. For those not crafty, think of things you can get at the dollar store--packages of Disney character crayons/pencils/markers with notebooks, etc. They actually have a decent collection of Disney themed stuff very reasonably priced. Another good place to shop is the Disney outlet if there is one near you. Or make your life easier--bring a little trinket to leave in the Fish Extender for her each day but skip doing the FE group. She won't know the difference and it will save you a lot of time and trouble.

I do agree with Elaine--a cruise is special enough!

Edited by moki'smommy

Outside your cabin door is a mail holder. On the classic ships, it is in the shape of a fish. People make/buy devices to hang from the fish (thus, extending the fish) that will hold bigger things than can fit in the fish, and often have a holder area for each family member. If you google "fish extenders", you'll find photos.

People form FE groups. While the rules vary with the cruise date, the basic idea is that you bring a gift for each person or each cabin in the group and deliver it to the FE while on the cruise. The other people do the same. Some groups set a dollar max for gifts...some specify whether gifts are per person or per cabin...some set a delivery day for each giver, most set a "must deliver your gifts by X day/time (in order to facilitate packing up to go home!). The groups are organized on the roll call threads of cruise critic, or more commonly on Facebook groups or other cruise threads.