Name on reservation

AnnaBeth

My brother is getting married later this month and leaving on a cruise the next day. I went online last night to order a gift to be sent to his cabin and noticed that the names in the booking had his new wife with his last name. Since they are just getting married the day before I know that she will not have id with her new last name. If they take their marriage license with them will they be ok or do they need to change the booking back to her maiden name? Neither of them have ever cruised before (or left the country for that matter!) so it's all new to them, but he isn't one to ask for advice so I don't want to say anything unless I really have to! And I wanted it to be a surprise that I ordered a gift for them so I don't want to mention that that is how I saw what names they used on the booking. Not sure what to do!!

From Carnival's website:

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest’s full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest’s non-expired government-issued photo ID they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest’s photo ID as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo ID is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo ID is in the maiden name, documentation supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

I would highly suggest them changing the name back to her maiden name. Even the day after her wedding she probably won't have a certified copy of the marriage license since it needs to be filed first. Getting a certified copy usually takes several days.

When I went on my honeymoon years ago, I traveled using my maiden name for this reason.

Thank you for that info from the site, I am at work where they block almost everything so I couldn't look it up! I may have to find some way to bring it up with him just to make sure they have everything that they need!!

Just ask him what name they booked her under because you got to thinking and you know she should have booked under the name on her lic. Otherwise, she will not be allowed to board.

If he said he doesn't know, tell him they need to check now and make changes if needed.

We got married the day before our first cruise. Make sure it's in the name the matches the ID she's currently holding. Maiden name. It took me 3 months to get everything changed, and I've heard that was quick. Social security is first THEN driver's license and you have to get a certified copy of your marriage license to start the process...the original has to be mailed to get the copy!

Point is: maiden name is the way to go, until your photo ID says otherwise!

I just got off the phone with him and he changed her name on the reservation to match her license! Yay! But now a follow up question! She was married before so the name on her license is her ex husband's last name; it obviously won't match her birth certificate. As long as the name on the license matches and she has her birth certificate, she won't need her old marriage license or divorce papers or anything, will she? (I know, I'm telling him to call to make sure he gets accurate information from the cruise line, but was just wondering if anyone else could share their experience!)

I'm so glad that I happened to notice this and call him, he didn't even know that he needed his birth certificate! I can't believe anyone would plan a vacation like this without any research!!! At least he has until the end of June to get everything that he needs in order!!!

She should bring her old marriage certificate. It will tie the name on her birth certificate to the name on her ID.

Since he didn't know they needed their birth certificates, emphasize that the birth certificates and her previous marriage certificate need to be official documents, not just photocopies of official documents.

They can be denied boarding if they don't have all the correct documents.

Some people will probably post that they never had to show a marriage certificate, but that won't help anyone who is asked for it and doesn't have it.

I just got off the phone with him and he changed her name on the reservation to match her license! Yay! But now a follow up question! She was married before so the name on her license is her ex husband's last name; it obviously won't match her birth certificate. As long as the name on the license matches and she has her birth certificate, she won't need her old marriage license or divorce papers or anything, will she? (I know, I'm telling him to call to make sure he gets accurate information from the cruise line, but was just wondering if anyone else could share their experience!)

I'm so glad that I happened to notice this and call him, he didn't even know that he needed his birth certificate! I can't believe anyone would plan a vacation like this without any research!!! At least he has until the end of June to get everything that he needs in order!!!

If she has the old marriage cert she could bring it but she will not need it.

Just needs to make sure her birth cert is a state copy. Most will have a raised seal you can check for, but depending on when she got it, it may not. If in doubt it can be taken to any post office that does passport applications and ask if it is ok.

I didn't need my marriage certificate once my name on my license matched my name on my boarding docs. It probably helped that my husband was with me and our last names on our IDs matched. My birth certificate was barely looked at, to be honest.

I know a lot of people will say, I didn't need it, they didn't ask for it, they barely looked at it, etc etc.

I say TAKE IT. Marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificate, passport (if you have one). What ever you might need. Better to have it along, and Not need it, than Need it, and not have it. If they ask, and you don't have it, they may sail with you standing on the dock.:eek:

NOT a great way to start a much anticipated vacation (especially a honeymoon)