getting around Genoa, Livomo, Naples, Dubrovnik & Venice on a scooter

hi there, im 27 and disabled using a scooter. Im cruising with a friend and wondering if anyone knows how accessible the ports are/getting around. Also if anyone can suggest any trips that i would be able to go e.g with dropped kerbs and pavements. Im stopping at Genoa, Livomo, Naples, Dubrovnik & Venice. Thanks

From our experience, many of those ports are very difficult in a mobility scooter. If any of those ports are tender ports, they will not allow a scooter on a tender. Venice can be done, but in a very limited area only, as most of Venice is connected via bridges that have steps. You can take a vaporetto to the Piazza San Marco, and you can see a lot there, but going to other areas of Venice will be impossible with a scooter.

Many parts of Europe are behind times in accessibility. Fewer curb cut outs, lots of cobblestones and a lot of entrances to sites contain steps to get inside.

Livorno is the industrial port for Florence. You'll have to find a company that will take your scooter into Florence. Once there, you can see a lot of that city with a scooter, but again in places like the cathedral there are steps and there might not be a ramp.

I think Dubrovnik is a tender port, so unless you bring a manual wheelchair and can get onto a tender, you won't be seeing that port.

Naples might also be a tender port, depending on the size of the ship you're on.

hi there, im 27 and disabled using a scooter. Im cruising with a friend and wondering if anyone knows how accessible the ports are/getting around. Also if anyone can suggest any trips that i would be able to go e.g with dropped kerbs and pavements. Im stopping at Genoa, Livomo, Naples, Dubrovnik & Venice. Thanks

Check out these links. I've been to all these ports prior to being disabled but not since having to use a mobility scooter. Hope this information helps !

Venice -

Dubrovnik - Check out these links

Livorno (not Livomo) Florence is actually the destination most cruiser go to from this port., Naples and Genoa

Edited by xxoocruiser

Dubrovnik is probably 90% accessible inside the city walls .... however you are obviously not going to be climbing up on the walls. The other trick will be getting from the port to the walled city, no problem if your scooter can go into a cab....I don't remember if they have van-cabs there.

Venice, go to accessible Venice and you are going to find that there are about 12 or 13 stops that are accessible, they are listed and there are maps. The first time we went we had about 8 stops prioritized....we had enough time to see exactly 3. Next time we saw another 3 including Plaza San Marco for a second time. Many of the attractions in Plaza San Marco have lifts hidden but if you ask an attendant will direct you to them. From the cruise port go over to the people mover, the cost is 1e each way but your carer is free. You will get a discount on the vaporta and your carer is free. Admission to the Doges Place, the Cathedral and the Museum is free for you and your carer.

If you contact Venice tourist info they will send you access able routes maps and a key to access the lifts at the bridges on those routes. My DH. Was using a wheelchair then. ( 2012)

According to their website now, the lifts over the bridges are a thing of the past. There were problems and they either are or have been removed. Too bad.