Question about traveling with Birth Certificate with adopted child

kimba9615

I searched the boards, but didn't find anything matching my question specifically.

Our daughter is adopted domestically. We have her amended birth certificate naming us as parents. We applied for her passport 5 weeks ago and sent that birth certificate in with the application. Her passport has not arrived yet and we have not received her birth certificate back yet. We cruise in two weeks and I am trying to prepare for worst case scenario of not receiving her birth certificate back or not receiving her passport on time.

We do have a copy of her original birth certificate in which her last name matches ours, but it lists her birthmother as the parent. We also have her official adoption paperwork. Any idea if those documents will be accepted? I am getting ready to call Carnival, but thought I would post the question here also.

I am regretting not paying the expediting fee for her passport ...:(

Not sure if this helps. We took our granddaughter and her BC had her mothers name and the cruise docs had our sons name since they were married after her birth. We had the official paper from the judge stating the name change and all was fine. Don't think anyone even asked.

Hope it works out.

I searched the boards, but didn't find anything matching my question specifically.

Our daughter is adopted domestically. We have her amended birth certificate naming us as parents. We applied for her passport 5 weeks ago and sent that birth certificate in with the application. Her passport has not arrived yet and we have not received her birth certificate back yet. We cruise in two weeks and I am trying to prepare for worst case scenario of not receiving her birth certificate back or not receiving her passport on time.

We do have a copy of her original birth certificate in which her last name matches ours, but it lists her birthmother as the parent. We also have her official adoption paperwork. Any idea if those documents will be accepted? I am getting ready to call Carnival, but thought I would post the question here also.

I am regretting not paying the expediting fee for her passport ...:([/quotie]

It's very likely you will get her passport before you cruise but it's wise to think of a plan b. Isn't it possible to get an official copy of her amended birth certificate through the municipality where it was issued?

I am regretting not paying the expediting fee for her passport ...:([/quotie]

It's very likely you will get her passport before you cruise but it's wise to think of a plan b. Isn't it possible to get an official copy of her amended birth certificate through the municipality where it was issued?

Get another amended birth certificate from the issuing county (if US) or equivalent governmental entity (elsewhere). The "original" BC is not your child's bona fide BC. The amended one is.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I talked to Carnival and they said that the birth certificate I have is fine as long as it is an "official" certificate with seal, which it is. The person I talked to said I didn't need the adoption paperwork, but I don't really feel comfortable with her answer so I would probably bring it just in case.

Next week I am going into the county recorder office to try to get a copy of her amended birth certificate. I am just not sure if it would come from this county. Her adoption was finalized in this county, but she was born in a different county.

Augh ...

Have a great time on your cruise. I adopted my babies in August and started looking at cruises as soon as I got their amended birth certificates in the mail. We had so much fun. I took their adoption paperwork just in case but I didn't need it.

Crisis averted!!! Her passport arrived yesterday!!! It took exactly 6 weeks to the day.

Now I am worry free and can get excited, we sail 2 weeks from today!

Kim

We went through something similar for my husband's passport. We found his amended BC which was very beaten and worn but we sent it in with his passport app (expedited). Around the same time, we ordered a new copy of his BC just in case the passport would not arrive on time. Because he was adopted, we had to order the copy from the state (California). The state website said it was 12 weeks to receive a BC (which would have been 2 weeks prior to our cruise), but when I checked for a status, it said they were at 18 weeks from date of input which was 2 months after I had submitted the request. His passport did arrive on time for our cruise, and the birth certificate that we had ordered in August finally arrived in February. So, if you're looking to have a back-up amended BC for your daughter, order it well in advance.