2016 New York to the Carribean

Jeffrey1950

Travel all booked for this year now planning next year's. I am keen on the 12 Caribbean cruise on Nov. 12, 2016 from New York. Has anyone done this cruise is it worth the price? Does the price ever drop?

Thank you, looking forward to your replies and advice....

From a 'thrifty by necessity' perspective I suggest watching prices for the same cruise this year. This is a good time of year to watch what happens with the pricing for this year's equivalent voyage. Granted one year isn't necessarily the same as the next but what else does one have to go on? Right now the best fares I've seen for this year's cruise stateside were in Cunard's World Club Memorial day sale with insides at $1399 and balconies at $1599 (you can be assured that this will be sheltered!). Cunard seems to be promoting this cruise always so I'd wait 'till later as opposed to booking sooner. I have no idea what kind of accommodation you're looking for and obviously if you want something specific you should book early ( the standard disclaimer). My gut feeling tells me that the best you could possibly hope for would be $100/day (+fees, 2nd std. disclaimer) for a sheltered balcony in the bow but that this might only be possible by booking an inside guarantee and hoping for the best. I too am interested in the advice you'll receive. Good luck.

From a 'thrifty by necessity' perspective I suggest watching prices for the same cruise this year. This is a good time of year to watch what happens with the pricing for this year's equivalent voyage. Granted one year isn't necessarily the same as the next but what else does one have to go on? Right now the best fares I've seen for this year's cruise stateside were in Cunard's World Club Memorial day sale with insides at $1399 and balconies at $1599 (you can be assured that this will be sheltered!). Cunard seems to be promoting this cruise always so I'd wait 'till later as opposed to booking sooner. I have no idea what kind of accommodation you're looking for and obviously if you want something specific you should book early ( the standard disclaimer). My gut feeling tells me that the best you could possibly hope for would be $100/day (+fees, 2nd std. disclaimer) for a sheltered balcony in the bow but that this might only be possible by booking an inside guarantee and hoping for the best. I too am interested in the advice you'll receive. Good luck.

Thank you...what I did was printed all the pages out with sailings and dates and used a three hole puncher and put them in a binder. That way I can compare and make notes to give me an idea.

Thank you...what I did was printed all the pages out with sailings and dates and used a three hole puncher and put them in a binder. That way I can compare and make notes to give me an idea.

good idea. I try to use a spreadsheet to keep track of fares but it quickly gets very confusing what with changing fares, changing cabin grades (e.g. when 3 grades of balcony go to 8 as of a certain date when they reclassify all the accommodation on the ship), the occasional special offers including on board credits and/or free gratuities, and that very rare breed: the special offer that includes port taxes and fees (they do seem to come along from time to time). Unfortunately, the only way(that I know of) to see the price breakdowns within a certain grade (e.g. balc. or OV)is to enter the booking process, plus at this point you can click 'availability' and it will actually give you the staterooms they are booking at that time or if only guarantees are available.

I know, way too much info. but you'll catch on. If nothing else keeping up with POLAR (the booking software)is great activity for those with obsessive compulsive disorder. Having a good travel agent, preferably a good friend who will suffer through the process with you, might be the best advice. If they do any volume with Cunard or if they have wealthy clients who book expensive trips they seem to be able to get a little extra perk here or there for their clients (chocolate covered fruit upon embarkation or a little extra OBC).

As always, these are just my thoughts, and I'm sure someone is going to call me out on something but that just seems to go with the territory.

Travel all booked for this year now planning next year's. I am keen on the 12 Caribbean cruise on Nov. 12, 2016 from New York. Has anyone done this cruise is it worth the price? Does the price ever drop?

Thank you, looking forward to your replies and advice....

Just to mention that the 2016 QM2 Caribbean cruise (Voyage #628) departs NYC on Saturday, Nov 26th. (In 2015, the departure date is Nov. 12th.) -S.

Just to mention that the 2016 QM2 Caribbean cruise (Voyage #628) departs NYC on Saturday, Nov 26th. (In 2015, the departure date is Nov. 12th.) -S.

Silly me...I did know it was the 26th. First thought was it was after Thanksgiving and the day off work after to prepare everything then leave on the 26th. My mistake must have been looking at this years too long and wrote the wrong date down.

I know what you mean, I do that often! I think that an important consideration for those taking this voyage and who will need a hotel room in NY on the 25th, might be to book hotel accomodations in advance as hotel rooms in NYC can be hard to come by during Thanksgiving week. -S.

Edited by Salacia