too much?

lovey33

I am trying to fiqure out what we will do in Bermuda. I am trying to make all happy and not feel rushed. There will be two adults and two kids age 9 and 12. We will arrive around 9:OO am and leave at 5:00 the next day. We will be docked at the royal navy dockyard. I thought the first day we could go to the aquarium and after that take in some sites at St Georges... The following day go to Gibbs hill lighthouse in the morning and after that visit the Maritime museum and the craft market at the dockyard. Considering traveling times is this too much to pack into the time we have? How long does it take to go through the aquarium and zoo? Are there people that actually demonstrate craft making at the craft market? Are there highlights of these areas and things that I should skip that may be of less interest. Any insight from those that have traveled or live in Bermuda is greatly appreciated

The south shore beaches are truly beautiful. It would seem a shame to go to Bermuda and not at least take a couple hours to see some of them. I am not really a "beach person" as I am very fair-skinned, but I had a wonderful time walking the beaches and paths in the dunes behind them. It was so gorgeous and it seemed every time you walked around a corner another amazing postcard scene awaited you. Plus, some of those beaches, such as Chaplin Bay, were so quiet. No one else was there! My own private slice of paradise.

The aquarium and zoo are very nice but probably wouldn't take more than an hour or two. My kids really enjoyed them when they were younger- 6 and 9 but they aren't different or impressive enough to entice a 12 year old for very long. The major disadvantageous is where they are located- they are at the far end of the island from the Dockyard- near ST georges. You can- depending on the day- take a ferry from the Dockyards to St. Georges and then the bus afterwards to the acquarium and then a bus back to Hamilton then change to either a bus or ferry to the dockyards. However you are talking about an awfully long time just getting to and from.You will also miss most of what makes Bermuda so special- the sea- except for glimpses from the bus/ferry. My kids would much rather swim with fish than see them in glass cages. Closer to the dockyards are FT. Scaur (spelling????) that is an ok fort but provides awesome views of the inner harbor and my kids love running around playing soldier. Continuing on passed that area you'll come to the south shore beaches- including Horseshoe Bay. Even total nonswimmers enjoy the little baby beach cove off to the right- very shallow and placid. Frequently there are lots of little fishes in there to see.

Hamilton itself is also interesting. (and a quick ferry ride) There is another great Fort up on the Hill and the underwater institute which is very interesting and informative. Take a horse drawn carriage ride for a little tour of the place and some neighborhoods around the city.

Finally I really do love St. georges. The town itself gives you areal feel for bermuda. DO see some of the historic buildings- then take a cab up to tobacco bay. Rent a snorkel and put your face in the water to see lots of fish floating by. Just try and schedule your day to catch a ferry back and forth so you can avoid the buses. They work it is just a very long and windy trip all the back to Hamilton.

If you have a sunny day I'd recommend going to the South Shore beaches such as Horseshoe Bay and nearby beaches. Those beaches really are a highlight and as others have pointed out it would be a shame to miss them. Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is near Horseshoe Bay as well.

Dockyard has a beach called Snorkel Park which is nice for seeing fish and is close to the ship (don't need to take a bus/taxi) but the sand and scenary is nothing like the South Shore beaches.

The Aquarium/Museum/Zoo will take probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours to go through. I think it is a lovely facility myself but the beaches definately rank higher as a must-see.

If it is cloudy then the ferry ride to Hamilton is also great and you can spend some time wandering around Hamilton. From Hamilton, if you feel you have time, you can catch a bus to St. Georges. Travel time is 45 minutes one-way. St. Georges definately has a lot more historical character then Hamilton.

You could also consider taking a taxi tour for a few hours. This costs around $40-50/hr but is a great way to see the island and you can stop wherever you want to take pictures or walk around. Look in the Bermuda yellow pages (www.bermudayp.com) under "taxi" and book the trip in advance.

Warning: Most Stores aren't open on Sunday so if you're in Bermuda on a Sunday then Hamilton and St. Georges will practically be ghost towns.

Archived