No wine bar on the Epic?

laxfanmom1

Does the Epic not have a wine bar with higher end wines? Does anyone have a wine list from the Epic?

There is a bar on the left as you enter Moderno....Very nice wine selection.

I was hoping that the higher end restaurants would have some higher end wines!

Keep hoping!!! If you like higher end wines you'll have to bring your own on board, which is what we do. NCL's wine list is pretty terrible when it comes to decent wine.

Thank you.

Keep hoping!!! If you like higher end wines you'll have to bring your own on board, which is what we do. NCL's wine list is pretty terrible when it comes to decent wine.

I was surprised to find Opus One Overture on the list. My recollection is that it was only available at the winery. I'm pretty sure my son brought me back a bottle when he toured the winery.

I realize a lot of what's on the list isn't all that interesting. We bought a wine package so we could have a bottle every night with dinner and were pretty impressed with the Wente Bros. cab. It's probably under $20 at the store, but we paid $98 for 4 bottles of it (or would have if we hadn't split the package between that and an awful merlot). Beautiful winery too, if you're ever in Livermore, Ca with time on your hands.

Thank you.

I was surprised to find Opus One Overture on the list. My recollection is that it was only available at the winery. I'm pretty sure my son brought me back a bottle when he toured the winery.

Overture is made from the grapes that don't meet the standards for Opus One. Around here it retails for about $130-$140 so NCL has some nerve selling it for $255!!!!

Overture is made from the grapes that don't meet the standards for Opus One. Around here it retails for about $130-$140 so NCL has some nerve selling it for $255!!!!

When you say retail, you mean a store not a restaurant, right? Isn't restaurant wine markup typically 2X-3X?

When you say retail, you mean a store not a restaurant, right? Isn't restaurant wine markup typically 2X-3X?

Right, a store. That's my point about why my husband carries his own wines on board. So if we bought the Overture at home for say $140 then paid the $15 to carry it on board we are still $100 ahead of the game!!!

My husband brings on what he likes to drink and even with the $15 charge we are still ahead and he's drinking what he enjoys.

Wine is expensive onboard for low quality wines. I paid around $35 for a wine I would pay 9.95 for back home. A New Zealand Sav Blanc that is definitely one of the cheaper wines from the Marlborough estate. Also one of the Aus reds sells for around $8 here and once again over $30 onboard. They definitely mark the wines up.

Thought I'd also add. Europe has lots of cheap, good quality wine. I tend to buy the wine on land and then pay the corkage. Usually buy a few before I board and then buy more at some of the ports.

Right, a store. That's my point about why my husband carries his own wines on board. So if we bought the Overture at home for say $140 then paid the $15 to carry it on board we are still $100 ahead of the game!!!

My husband brings on what he likes to drink and even with the $15 charge we are still ahead and he's drinking what he enjoys.

You are 100% correct at the high end. But there aren't that many wines on the ship in that price category. I'm sure as heck not going to bother buying a couple bottles of $25 wine, paying a $15 corkage and saving $10 a bottle. Wish I could drink $200 wines every night, but not even on vacation.

As karoo points out, there are high quality wines available in Europe, if that's where you're sailing, for a fraction of the price. At the very least, get off the ship and enjoy a bottle in port. We've traveled to a few wine producing counties (France, Italy, Argentina) and are convinced that the best product never gets exported.