Recommendations for St Barts, St Kitts and Dominican Republic

FinelyCruising

Having not been to these locations we are not sure what we might want to do...maybe the beach in DR since photos make it look nice, but we are asking you what might think are best efforts in St Barts and St Kitts as well. We like the water, and I love to shop, so anyone one or a combination is fine too. We like to get out and stretch our legs and enjoy poking around. But if limited at these ports means doing nothing compelling for an extended port time and getting back and enjoying relaxing on the ship for the balance of the day we are OK with that plan too. We are very flexible, so any and all ideas, and the benefit of others experiences are naturally, appreciated, as we find from you what may pique our interest for this itinerary.

Which cruise are you on? We're on the Regatta, 02/26/06. We've done lots of Caribbean cruises and 2 European cruises on Oceania. but we've never gone on an Oceania Caraibbean cruise. I'd love to get info on the same ports and also would like to hear from someone who has cruised Carib. ports on Oceania. We are not "beach people" but love to tour the islands on our own. I've heard that the St.Kitts railroad trip is good.

Joan

We have been to St Barts once. There was a nice beach very close to where we disembarked that we walked to. If my memory serves me it is just "behind" the town from the harbour. Looking from seaward it would be on the right side. There was a small bar on the beach but nothing much else that I can remember. I hope this is accurate as it was several years back.

We got a rental car through Oceania in Dec 2004 while on St. Barths. We could have got a better rate ourselves, but it was convenient to have a van waiting at the quay where the tender arrives in Gustavia to shuttle us to the rental car agency and to have gasoline taken care of. The all inclusive cost was $135 for a small SUV with an automatic transmission. I remember seeing daily rates of $60-70 from Avis and Budget. Considering the cost of hotels, meals, and merchandise on St. Barths, we thought rental cars were pretty affordable.

You can tour the entire island and find a beach you want to spend some time at. We drove around the island for about 3 hours, and spent an additional 3 hours at three different beaches and several overlook points. The roads are safe, but there are some hairpins and hills where you have to drive slowly. We would do exactly the same thing next time. Gustavia is nice, but you should see the countryside to truly appreciate the natural and man-made beauty of this paradise.

You MUST take the rail trip at st kitts, probably one of the best tours in the west indies. we really loved it and saw so many people going about their daily work stopping and waving to us, also kids coming out of the classroom, so much warmth and pleasure to see us.

along with barbados st kitts is my favorite carribian island both very different and both great.

have fun

regards JimGib

Many people like the train in St. Kitts, however you will miss one of the most scenic spots in the Caribbean: Brimstone Hill Fortress.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.brimstonehillfortress.org/

On a clear day, you can see several adjacent islands such as Nevis and Saba.

There are many taxis and tours that offer a circle drive around the island. You will see sugar cane plantations as well as the villages people live in. Most island tours will also stop at a Batik store where you can watch the Batik process and enjoy a nice garden. The prices were not bargains, but the quality appeared to be high. I am not much of a shopper, but I enjoyed spending 30 minutes at this stop. Of course, if you don't want to stop just ask your driver to keep going.

The CC Caribbean groups have lots of info on recommended guides. I booked a private tour guide off Shoretrips. There were dozens of taxis waiting at the port if you prefer last minute arrangements.

Archived