How to Choose a Hotel in Venice (and tips for navigating)

roothy123

Lots of good information here for me to check. Thanks so much for compiling it, and thanks to all who replied with more info.

We will have two pre-cruise nights next October and choosing a hotel is a challenge since getting there is the problem. DH is 84, I am 74. He walks very slowly, using a cane. Having had a port stop in Venice several years ago we know what those footbridge steps are like. From the airport he will wear a backpack and have CPAP case on shoulder strap. I will be pulling a 26" and 28" wheeled bag so don't really want to cross footbridges.

Don't suggest we pack lighter since we have an overnight before our flight to Venice, then a 21 day cruise, then a FL post-cruise stay. We are experienced cruisers/travelers so are already at our minimum luggage.

I am thinking P.Roma area is our best option? Would we find the ATVO express bus from the airport easy to use with luggage? I'm looking at some of the suggested hotels but some have too many footbridges to cross.

Edited by NMLady

Lots of good information here for me to check. Thanks so much for compiling it, and thanks to all who replied with more info.

We will have two pre-cruise nights next October and choosing a hotel is a challenge since getting there is the problem. DH is 84, I am 74. He walks very slowly, using a cane. Having had a port stop in Venice several years ago we know what those footbridge steps are like. From the airport he will wear a backpack and have CPAP case on shoulder strap. I will be pulling a 26" and 28" wheeled bag so don't really want to cross footbridges.

Don't suggest we pack lighter since we have an overnight before our flight to Venice, then a 21 day cruise, then a FL post-cruise stay. We are experienced cruisers/travelers so are already at our minimum luggage.

I am thinking P.Roma area is our best option? Would we find the ATVO express bus from the airport easy to use with luggage? I'm looking at some of the suggested hotels but some have too many footbridges to cross.

I forget now what I said in the information above, but here's more info on a couple things you asked about. Hopefully I won't repeat myself!

The ATVO bus was fairly easy. We found a ticket kiosk with a person in it near the baggage area and bought two tickets to "Venezia" - important, as there are also ATVO buses going to Mestre. It was 8 euros (forget if they took credit cards; I had euro cash). I think the tickets might be 6 euros if you get them from a machine; not sure. We just saw the kiosk and went there. It was about a 3 minute wait as people were hemming and hawing about whether to purchase. Just make sure you tell the person "Venezia" and get on that bus. There were also ticket machines right where the bus came. We walked out, crossed the street (I think that was between doors C and D, but not positive). Bus wasn't there, and only a few people around, so when an ATVO bus came a little later, I thought it was ours. It stopped about a half a block down. It was the bus to Mestre. About 5 or 10 minutes later, a line started forming, and a man came around selling tickets, and asking those who didn't need them if we had validated them. (You need to stamp the ticket in the ticket machine. The machine will take a little notch out of the corner.)

When the bus comes, you need to load your own luggage, but it's pretty easy, as it's a big coach and the luggage goes in the luggage space underneath. You have to hoist up your bags about a foot and turn them sideways into the bus. There are other people around so I'm sure if you need help, someone will help you. Just be a little careful going around the side of the bus, as you'll be on the side where other cars and buses come.

There's also the ACTV bus (forget the name, maybe Aerobus?) but with it, apparently you have to take your bags up a step or two - kind of like on buses in airport parking lots, except larger. Everyone's loading at once and waiting for you - I'd just go with ATVO bus. Then again, you can save a few euros on the ACTV bus if you also purchase a vaporetto ticket.

The area around Piazalle Roma is Santa Chiara, so that might be a starting point for finding hotels. There still may be bridges to cross, however, and I wouldn't want to have to cross any bridge with 2 big bags unless perhaps I did one, left it there, and went back for the second. Beware of the elevator situation, too, although some hotels will carry your bags up for you. Also, there are porters in Venice to help with bags, but it's not like they're standing around looking for people. I suppose the hotels might be able to arrange one for you, however. If you don't mind spending a fortune, hotels like the Danieli and I think perhaps Londra Palace are right near a vaporetto stop, so might work. Danieli at San Zaccaria near St. Mark's is like that - very close to the 5 (5.1, 5.2) with no bridge to cross and a 22 minute trip from P. Roma. I didn't want to spend a fortune, however.

For an easy situation with luggage, many people like Mestre, and you can read about that in tomsportguides.com, Venice Port Guide. I wanted to stay in Venice, however.

This is the first time I've had rolling luggage, and I was a little afraid of how it would do on cobblestones. However, it wasn't bad.

Whatever you choose, I would not wait until last minute. I found that about 6 weeks pre-cruise (my cruise was very late September) most of the places I was interested in before had rooms, but the prices went way up if you wanted to book with the opportunity to cancel. Of course, it was extremely crowded that weekend - but maybe it's always that bad; don't know!

Enjoy! We had a great time in Venice just riding every vaporetto we could find and taking pictures. My pictures are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

Edited by roothy123

Also, for anyone staying near San Marco, food around there and in Venice in general can be disappointing. We ate one night up near Santa Maria Formosa and it was very so-so. The next night we walked along the waterfront to the Arsenale area where there's a street that Y's off from the waterfront called Via Garibaldi. There are a number of little places there, and we ate at Osteria Garanghe or something like that. It was recommended by a staff member at Hotel Rio when we were having trouble finding a place to eat the second night. (Place was packed, and the person's other recommendations would have required a long wait.) We found the area nice (a little quieter than San Marco) and the restaurant's food was pretty good. It's basically just a little place where you eat at outside tables - nothing fancy, but good basic food, and not terribly expensive. There are, however, a couple pedestrian bridges to cross on the way, as it's right at the waterfront, but without luggage it wasn't bad for us mid-60rs.

There are lots of restaurants near Hotel Rio and that area east of San Marco, but we didn't eat in any, so can't really add any restaurant recommendations. I wanted to go a place there for lunch run by the Catholic diocese (mostly just because it was different, and affordable) but we ended up being on Burano for lunch that day and ate there at a little place near the vaporetto stop. For dinner another cruiser recommended Spaghetteria a la Tole up near Maria Formosa, but we were up that way too early and they weren't serving, so ate somewhere else (totally forgettable) the first night.

I'm on a roll - here are a couple more comments on Venice:

There ARE vaporetto police who check to see if you have valid, unexpired tickets. I doubt many people try to cheat, but just thought I'd mention that. On the way back from Burano or Murano (forget which), we saw 4 people get fines. One couple argued long and hard that the person who had given them a free ride to Murano or Burano on a boat gave them a voucher for use on the vaporetto back. I don't think there is such a thing. I think she was duped. Despite at least 10 minutes of loudly making her case that she shouldn't get fined, it looked like she got one anyway. If you want to go to Murano/Burano on one of the free trips that apparently are offered by motorboat, just be aware that you may have to pay your own way back. The other two people were getting tickets, but I'm not sure of their situation.

On my second day in Venice, I think I was actually riding my last ride on an expired ticket. I had a two day pass (48 hours) and one of the vap people on the boat came around checking tickets. She said she thought mine had expired, but was having trouble with her scanner, so let me stay on. I got off at the next stop (P. Roma) and thinking back, realized maybe she was right. I wasn't checking my ticket every time I boarded, and couldn't find the receipt I got from the machine which told the time I had purchased it. I ended up walking down to San Basilio from P. Roma (only had about 5 euros for another ticket - not enough!) and it took me forever because of all the streets that go one block and end. I finally popped into a hotel and asked for help, and the person on the desk tried, but even with a basic map, it was very difficult. Moral of the story - keep that little printed receipt, take it everywhere you go, and check your vap ticket at the machine outside the stop you board to see if you get a green light, and don't get on a vaporetto for a long ride (I was taking the #2 quite a ways) unless you know you have enough time to get where you're going. Oh, and take more than 5 euros with you! I was lucky - no vaporetto police, just a ticket check by a vaporetto employee who either decided to let me slide, or had a faulty scanner!

Just talked to my husband about what he remembers about the vaporetto incident. He says the very vocal woman had a voucher for something than the vaporetto. I'm guessing maybe it was for the Alilaguna, which is completely different than the ACTV (public) vaporetto system.

Just talked to my husband about what he remembers about the vaporetto incident. He says the very vocal woman had a voucher for something other than the ACTV vaporetto she was on. I'm guessing maybe it was for the Alilaguna, which is a private company. Tickets are not interchangeable.

Does anyone know anything about the JW Marriott? My wife and I booked that post cruise when we get off the Oosterdam at the end of April. We are using points so don't mind not being in the center of town. We have an overnight ship stay than we move to the hotel. We have a mid afternoon private tour of the major sites in St marks and a gondola ride. What else should we do? Any good food tours?

To roothy123-- Thanks so much for all the good information.

Between you and BruinSteve in another Venice hotel thread we now have lots of good information on getting from airport to hotel, sightseeing, and eventually getting to port.

Even though our cruise isn't until October I have now booked the hotel so I could be sure of getting one that doesn't require crossing bridges with those steps up and steps down.

We booked Santa Chiara on P.Roma and can cancel if needed up until October 13,

Thanks again for all your help. I'll be looking at your photos.

Edited by NMLady

Does anyone know anything about the JW Marriott? My wife and I booked that post cruise when we get off the Oosterdam at the end of April. We are using points so don't mind not being in the center of town. We have an overnight ship stay than we move to the hotel. We have a mid afternoon private tour of the major sites in St marks and a gondola ride. What else should we do? Any good food tours?

Sorry; can't help you on the Marriott. I had to google it, and found the one on the island - looks new, nice and interesting!

I can't really recommend anything specific for Venice other than to just take a vaporetto ride around the Grand Canal. The buildings are so pretty. We also did vaporetto rides out around the perimeter of the island, and to Murano and Burano, but those were less scenic - but still fun and interesting. I kind of liked the Arsenale area, as it's less visited than St. Mark's area, but I don't suppose it would be high on everyone's list. I wanted to see the pavilions that were built for an exposition some time ago, but didn't end up there. They are just kind of quirky and fun from what I've read, but again, not high on most people's list of things to do.

Some people go to Murano, but we didn't find it fabulous, just interesting. Burano is great for photographers, but if you want more to do than just walk around, take pictures, and do a little shopping, perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Dorsoduro is pretty nice, and Guggenheim is also there. I'm not much of a museum goer, though, so I didn't go in. Some people like the Jewish quarter (far reaches of Castello) but I never made it up that far. I kind of wanted to go to Torcello, but didn't really have time.

It might be fun to take a vaporetto that goes past the port, as you can see most of the cruise ships that are docked there. We did that, but of course we did that BEFORE our cruise as Venice was our embarkation port. It was also the first time we had seen our ship (Viking Star) so we were curious. Not sure if it would be fun to take a vaporetto past the port to see your ship after your cruise, though.

That probably doesn't help much, but maybe other people can make suggestions, or tell you about the Marriott. (Do they have a boat that goes to the island, I assume? I would hate to have to take private water taxis each time you went out exploring.)

Sorry; can't help you on the Marriott. I had to google it, and found the one on the island - looks new, nice and interesting!

I can't really recommend anything specific for Venice other than to just take a vaporetto ride around the Grand Canal. The buildings are so pretty. We also did vaporetto rides out around the perimeter of the island, and to Murano and Burano, but those were less scenic - but still fun and interesting. I kind of liked the Arsenale area, as it's less visited than St. Mark's area, but I don't suppose it would be high on everyone's list. I wanted to see the pavilions that were built for an exposition some time ago, but didn't end up there. They are just kind of quirky and fun from what I've read, but again, not high on most people's list of things to do.

Some people go to Murano, but we didn't find it fabulous, just interesting. Burano is great for photographers, but if you want more to do than just walk around, take pictures, and do a little shopping, perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Dorsoduro is pretty nice, and Guggenheim is also there. I'm not much of a museum goer, though, so I didn't go in. Some people like the Jewish quarter (far reaches of Castello) but I never made it up that far. I kind of wanted to go to Torcello, but didn't really have time.

It might be fun to take a vaporetto that goes past the port, as you can see most of the cruise ships that are docked there. We did that, but of course we did that BEFORE our cruise as Venice was our embarkation port. It was also the first time we had seen our ship (Viking Star) so we were curious. Not sure if it would be fun to take a vaporetto past the port to see your ship after your cruise, though.

That probably doesn't help much, but maybe other people can make suggestions, or tell you about the Marriott. (Do they have a boat that goes to the island, I assume? I would hate to have to take private water taxis each time you went out exploring.)

Thank you for the info. The Marriott has a free shuttle from the hotel to st marks. I have read some not great thing s about murano so I think we will pass on that. Sounds more like a tourist trap and being from Orlando I have seen enough of those. On the other hand I have read some very interesting facts on the Jewish qtr. We might try to find a tour there.

Thank you for the info. The Marriott has a free shuttle from the hotel to st marks. I have read some not great thing s about murano so I think we will pass on that. Sounds more like a tourist trap and being from Orlando I have seen enough of those. On the other hand I have read some very interesting facts on the Jewish qtr. We might try to find a tour there.

Upper Cannaregio and the Jewish quarter would be nice after St. Mark's Square, which is usually crowded. By the way, backpacks, even small camera backpacks, aren't allowed in the Basilica - but tote bags seemed to be OK.

Rialto Bridge was a bust - too much restoration, big hanging ads, etc. A shame.

One thing I was sure I'd see but never did was Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo with its spiral staircase. It's not too far from St. Mark's. The area of Dorsoduro at tip where Sta Maria d. Salute is nice. Church of Santa Maria d. Giglio was beautiful. I loved photographing the churches.

There is a glass blowing factory on Murano that is interesting to visit. My mother took a bus tour that went there. Brought me a paperweight with lovely flower design.

We stayed at Hotel Arcadia in Canneragio. It was lovely. Great breakfast. The owner Luogi was so personable. It's away from the crowds and has a market outside. I worried so much about picking the perfect location but the charm and beauty of Venice is walking around, even getting lost and everything is walkable.