Carnival and RCI refugee - looking for a new cruise home

yarlenna

I have, until recently, been very happy with either Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruises. Each of my last cruises with both lines had problems that were bad enough to make me want to look elsewhere. I am looking for a decently priced balcony stateroom with good food, served well, friendly bar staff, entertainment including lots of live music, my cabin made up before 10 AM, and stuff going on into the night.

Notice, I didn't ask about ports. I don't care if it goes out to sea and sails in circles for a week or two. I am just looking for a good cruise. Is Princess likely to deliver?

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

I think you'll find Princess to your liking. I've sailed most of the cruise lines and Princess is just right for me. Lots of balcony cabins and some great rates! PC dining, you can do traditional or anytime dining.

One big plus IMO over the other lines is freshwater pools and hot tubs that are open 24/7. Nothing like a dip under the stars late at night!

Scott

Absolutly. LOL. Welcome to Princess. We just had our first cruise on the Golden It was awesome. Obviously I could go on forever, but i won't. I am sending you a site from a carnival cruiser, that just sailed the Golden as well, and does an awsome review. I think you will enjoy it. Whatever you choose, I hope it is everything you want it to be. Sue

www.LifeIsCruising.com

7 Days on The Star Princess OCTOBER,24,2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=24>

<param name="hour" value=05>

</applet>

If you're looking for good live music and a lively nightlife I wouldn't recommend Princess, most of the passengers will be in bed by 10:30, they'll have a band, but don't count on more than 6 people or so in the lounge. Some of the ships don't start their disco till after midnight, so there won't be anyone there, if it has a dedicated disco, you may find a few people after 10.

Oceanic - dark ages

Carnival Celebration - 1993

Star Princess - 2/03 - Mexican Rivera

Island Princess - 2/04 - Panama Canal

Like Sue (above) we liked the Golden so much last month that we booked the Star Princess for October.

I think tht says quite a bit

While we'll still cruise Carnival and have a fabulous cruise, Princess is an entirely different experience and one that might just be what you're looking for

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Hi Yarlenna - I just took my first Princess cruise last week (on the CP) - I have traveled all of the major lines (RCCL was my favorite & had a wonderful cruise on the Serenade last fall) but I will tell you the balconies are beautiful on the Grand class Princess ships, the food was excellent (not that I liked everything but I tend to be a picky eater - but there was always something fun & delicious (i.e. the steak or fetticune (sp?) alfredo always available), bar staff/tenders were always friendly (but I didn't see any twirling trays poolside...) and there always seemed to be music when I wanted it. The nights were quieter than I am used to but it made for a very comfortable fit at the roulette wheel & I never had trouble getting a drink in the disco.

So I would definitely give Princess a try!

Good luck choosing a ship/itinerary.

igloo42

I would certainly recommend that you give Princess a try. While most folks on this board will give you a thumbs-up, trying for yourself is the only way to see if it offers what you are looking for. I personally believe it will.

'Vegas Jim

Yarlenna: I think we've had great prices for balcony cabins and minis--$1000 or less for many cruises. We loved the food and we always find a waiter that we like and request that table night after night. The bar staff can be fun--I find a few bartenders that I buy from more freqently and they are always happy to see me. Our entertainment has been good too. We don't dance that much so we only caught the bands when we were waiting for something else to start. My husband is a musician, so he can be very picky when it comes to live music and he has enjoyed the quartets and piano players more than the bands. But there is a good variety of music in each of the bars. The late night activities have varied on our cruises. Things were the most active on our July East. Carib. cruise (less in May and very little on our recent Panama Canal). We heard stories about what happened at 2,3 and 4 am on a few nights and we missed out on some fun. We also found that the comics were out late too--blowing off steam after a night of shows. Our cabin was always made up when we went to breakfast--our times varied from 7:30 to 10:30. We have done our last 3 cruises on Princess and we don't see a need to go anywhere else for a long time.

Princess should be your paradise. Keep in mind that the pax mix can vary from week to week on any ship or itenerary. Looking at your postscript, I would think that celebrity might be overkill for your needs. Princess has never disappointed at best value per dollar.

John

I suspect the OP knew exactly what Princess board members would say before he posted.. so here is a different slant.

Why wouldn't you try Princess? It has a solid reputation for all the things you seek, you tell us how you could DARE not to sail it once and see.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

duplicate due to slow boards

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I think it depends on the type of ship you are looking for. Big ship, I would go with RCCL and Voyager class. Just got back from the CP and would not cruise again, although Princess food is much better than RCCL. Although she is a beautiful ship, I don't think she flows as well as NOS, IMHO. I would be interested in trying one of Princess' smaller ships.

Until 4/3 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess 4/3/04

Navigator of the Seas 8/03

Voyager of the Seas 6/01

Wow! Even though I've been on these boards for about 2 years - (and on the AOL boards a long time ago) I never expected all the wonderful feedback. Thank you one and all! I am awaiting my Princess brochures so I can pick out an appropriate sailing. I will check out those bb cabins! They sound ideal to me. Thanks for all the input. (I did read the other ideas too, but have been on RCI and was very disapointed in my last cruise - and the overall trend downhill. I know that things get quiet on longer cruises. If the ship is quiet later at night, I'll just have to start earlier. Also, as long as there is music, we can dance.) Again, you all are wonderful.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

Archived