Pre-Exisiting Conditions Coverage

arizonaartie

As most of us know, in order to have coverage for pre-existing conditions not challenged by the Insurance Co. we must buy our insurance shortly after booking the trip. Also, we must buy an amount that includes all the pre-paid trip costs.

We did this and purchase $10,000 in coverage since our total pre paid costs were near $9,800. If I purchase pre-paid shore excursions I'm over the $10,000 and the insurance can only be bought in units of $1,000 and would cost about $150 at our age bracket.

If I didn't buy more insurance the insurance co. could possibly decline a claim on the technicality that I purchased less the the total pre paid insurance.

Any suggestions?

arizonaartie

I wouldn't purchase the excursions until I am on bopard. Even once bought, aren't you allowed to cancel with a day or two notice without a penalty? I arranged all excursions on my Insignia cruise the day of boarding and got everyone I wanted.

Thanks Digby. I will do that. I was concerned that one or two shore excursion that i want for sure may sell out quickly. Also, I found out that costs for Visas are not considered when figuring if one is over the limit of insurance one purchased because the insurance doesn't refund these charges.

This is always a tricky area trying to really understand what you are buying and the implications of the fine print. In the past we have purchased less than the total cost under the understanding that this limited the coverage and we "risked" the remainder. Are you sure under your policy that you are obligated to insure the full amount? I would suggest double checking this.

If you don't seek recovery for all the shore excursions, I don't think you have a problem. Given the fact that you must purchase coverage within 10 days of your initial payment to insure pre existing conditions, it's just not realistic for the insurer to expect you to include excursions which are not priced or available when you applied for the insurance. It's always good to read the little booklet they give you, but I'm certain that they can't deny a claim because you bought a few excursions.

This is always a tricky area trying to really understand what you are buying and the implications of the fine print. In the past we have purchased less than the total cost under the understanding that this limited the coverage and we "risked" the remainder. Are you sure under your policy that you are obligated to insure the full amount? I would suggest double checking this.

John, I called Access America and they told me that if one purchases less insurance than the total amount paid for the trip to the Cruise Company then the insurance is still in force but the pre-existing conditions clause is not waived. For those who are not concerned with Pre-Existing Conditions coverage, they may buy a lesser amount of insurance than the total pre-paid cost of the trip.

arizonaartie

If you don't seek recovery for all the shore excursions, I don't think you have a problem. Given the fact that you must purchase coverage within 10 days of your initial payment to insure pre existing conditions, it's just not realistic for the insurer to expect you to include excursions which are not priced or available when you applied for the insurance. It's always good to read the little booklet they give you, but I'm certain that they can't deny a claim because you bought a few excursions.

The insurance company requires you to submit and invoice from the cruise co. showing the total amount you paid them. If your insurance amount is less than that, you'd not have pre-existing clause waived. It's extremely important to my wife and I that we have this clause waived because for us, there is a greater risk that the health crisis causing the claim would be for a condition that is Pre-existing ( heart, blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) If we don't have coverage for these conditions, we'd not be willing to pay the high cost of the insurance premium.

arizonaartie

It's my understanding that conditions that are under control with medication are not considered pre-existing unless there has been a change in the medication within the 90 day window.

Yes, that is my understanding too. For some companies I believe it is 60 days.

Yes, that is my understanding too. For some companies I believe it is 60 days.

I believe you are correct. However, Access America told me that if one didn't comply with the required amount of coverage purchased, they'd likely require statements from all your doctors stating that your condition has not changed in the last 60 days, (gotten better or worse) nor has your prescriptions or dosages changed.

Purchasing the full amount of insurance allows them to bypass this step. Interestingly they told me any change of prescription, even lowering a dose amount or eliminating a prescription entirely, results in not complying with the 60 or 90 day requirement. This means not only must your conditoin not get any worse, it should also not get any better. Even substituting a different drug for your condition would not comply.

arizonaartie

Is this 60 or 90 day window the days preceding your purchase or the days preceding the cruise? In other words, if neither of us no my elderly mother have not had any changes in prescriptions for 60 or 90 days before we make our deposit for conditions that are under control by the application of medications, then these would not be considered pre-existing conditions? This is all more confusing than it should be for someone who spent 10 years in the insurance business.

IK have another question, though I should probably address it to the insurance company. Why do we need to purchase insurance when we originally book the cruise if we don't have any exposure until 90 days prior to sailing. Before that time we can cancel without penalty for any reason.

Archived