Advice From TravelAnni (and others) Needed

Hi Anni,

We sail into Warnemunde in late August on Celebrity Silhouette staying from 9:30 - 24:00. A small party of 10-20 people would like to do a laid back, DIY excursion that includes sampling food and drinks in a few of the most quaint of nearby German towns. I've looked at possibly taking the train out to Wismar/Mecklenberg area (Schwerin too?), maybe stopping at Bad Doberan on our return to Warnemunde/Rostock (where we thought we'd continue our adventures before boarding the ship). Lubeck seems to be a little far to keep the trip unpressured. Wismar certainly seems to be a gem and worthy of the trip. Not sure if the towns offer nice pubs/beer gardens and cafes/street food (I know Wismar offers some of this) and thought you could help by weighing in and perhaps providing some suggestions/recommendations. Of course, we'd be on foot, so ease of getting into town is important. I greatly appreciated your website and the insight given to get me this far. Thanks.

Stephanie

Edited by envirochick

Hi Anni,

We sail into Warnemunde in late August on Celebrity Silhouette staying from 9:30 - 24:00. A small party of 10-20 people would like to do a laid back, DIY excursion that includes sampling food and drinks in a few of the most quaint of nearby German towns. I've looked at possibly taking the train out to Wismar/Mecklenberg area (Schwerin too?), maybe stopping at Bad Doberan on our return to Warnemunde/Rostock (where we thought we'd continue our adventures before boarding the ship). Lubeck seems to be a little far to keep the trip unpressured. Wismar certainly seems to be a gem and worthy of the trip. Not sure if the towns offer nice pubs/beer gardens and cafes/street food (I know Wismar offers some of this) and thought you could help by weighing in and perhaps providing some suggestions/recommendations. Of course, we'd be on foot, so ease of getting into town is important. I greatly appreciated your website and the insight given to get me this far. Thanks.

Stephanie

Hi, I thank you for your appreciation.

Most cruise lines arrive between 6:30 and 8:00 so Schwerin-Wismar-Bad Doberan-Rostock-Warnemünde by public transport would just be possible but I'm afraid that you have one big disadvantage by being on Celebrity - a very late arrival in port.

The first trains which you can catch would be Schwerin-11:05, Wismar or Bad Doberan-11:03 from Rostock. To visit them all and be back on board by 23:30 is really pushing things as trains and trams are much less frequent in the evening.

As in most ancient German towns, the railway stations (with the exception of Warnemünde) are either a short tram ride (Rostock) or between 10 and 20 minutes walk from the centre where there are cafes, bars etc.

It would be better to choose just two towns plus the evening in Warnemünde. Including Lübeck is impossible, it is a day trip in itself.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Thanks Anni! Sad to hear about Celebrity's later arrival and the train situation, but the info sure makes planning easier. Do you think Wismar would be the best choice for sampling food and local imbibing, while being in a picturesque spot. It almost sounds as though getting a van with driver might be the way to travel if we wanted to start our day earlier. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk