Magic or NCL Escape?

legion3

I am currently booked on the NCL Escape in a minisuite with large balcony (M6) with the Ultimate dining plan, so free meals for all of us at NCL specialty restaurants and the kids sail free, and while I have not been happy with some of the changes NCL has done recently we still are planning to go, as the week we need to go the Breeze is chartered. :(

But with the new dancing of the ships the Magic is now available for the same week. I can do a Spa balcony on Breeze for less than The Escape.

Our last Cruise on Breeze was our best family cruise yet. We like both cruiselines but we do prefer Carnival for little things, particually to do with the kids club.

both ships have the things we are looking for.

Escape will be only 7 months old at that time.

thoughts? :cool:

Have you been on an NCL Breakaway class ship to get an idea of what the Escape will be like?

Personally, I would take a new NCL ship over any Carnival ship. Even the Vista looks like it has been modeled after NCL's new ships, but still lacking the entertainment. I don't think IMAX takes the place of great live shows.

I don't know if the Magic has the 2.0 upgrades, but I'll take Margarittaville over a Red Frog Pub.

I don't have an issue with Carnival, but you have a chance to go on a brand new ship, and seven months is enough time for them to work out the kinks.

Have you been on an NCL Breakaway class ship to get an idea of what the Escape will be like?

Personally, I would take a new NCL ship over any Carnival ship. Even the Vista looks like it has been modeled after NCL's new ships, but still lacking the entertainment. I don't think IMAX takes the place of great live shows.

I don't know if the Magic has the 2.0 upgrades, but I'll take Margarittaville over a Red Frog Pub.

I don't have an issue with Carnival, but you have a chance to go on a brand new ship, and seven months is enough time for them to work out the kinks.

No I have not been on an NCL Away ship. The ports are "better" on Carnival but will the ship? We tend to sail for the ship and not the ports but we do love San Juan.

Escape: 7 days St thomas, Tortola, Nassau

Magic: 7 days Amber cove, St.Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk.

I'd do carnival more money is always better

It's only about a $300 difference. However, I fully expect the Magic to have price drops, we have never not had them on any CCL cruise before. The Breeze dropped almost $900 before final payment.

NCL the cruise has skyrocketed over $1100 for the same cabin and cruise. so price drops are less likely.

It's only about a $300 difference. However, I fully expect the Magic to have price drops, we have never not had them on any CCL cruise before. The Breeze dropped almost $900 before final payment.

NCL the cruise has skyrocketed over $1100 for the same cabin and cruise. so price drops are less likely.

My last NCL cruise price skyrocketed for a while then dropped back down considerably. Ended up with a balcony on the Getaway for less than $500 pp

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I went with the Escape for next year. The Kids Sail Free and Free Ultimate Beverage Package was enough for me.

If i drank enough to make the UBP pay off that would be the choice, and I can see the savings for drinkers. We did the UDP because we know we are likely to do the specialty dining every night. We did that on our last NCL cruise and wasn't a "free" promo on that trip.

But even with the kids sail free, carnival is cheaper for the 4 of us.

I've been on Getaway and Magic. I like them both. I would probably flip a coin in your shoes. Honestly, they have plusses and minuses that make them equal out. If you are going on price, you have to factor in the $900 savings for UBP. Me, I'm going on Magic in 2 days, got Escape booked for next August. It was quite a bit more than I'm paying for Magic, but with 2 cabins, 1 getting UBP and UDP in the other, it helped. Also, I booked a few months ago and have gotten a price drop of 300 per cabin since then, so keep watching. The way NCL keeps pissing people off, they may have to pay us to go before long. :p

Edited by AngAndBoys

Escape: 7 days St thomas, Tortola, Nassau

Magic: 7 days Amber cove, St.Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk.

Any 7 night cruise with Nassau in it is a waste. So many places to see in the Caribbean. Save Nassau for a cheapie short cruise.

With that said, I'd still be tempted to sail on the Escape for the reasons that you mentioned.