Thanks for all the helpful info, I booked the cruise but have another question

rockster

Thanks for all the advice and tips, we booked our cruise (Voyager 9 day western caribbean 10/21 from Bayonne). So excited!!

We booked a guaranteed balcony and i found out we will be directly across from the elevators on the 8th floor. Should I bring earplugs?

When you do the excursions, do you normally book through the ship or do tours through independent companies? I read some good things on the Phil Lafayette company so I was considering their tours for one of the ports, but I'm concerned about things like not making it back to the Voyager in time if there is some kind of delay and not being able to get back on.

I'd like to attend the meet and mingle but I'm a newbie to this board so will it be awkward for me?

Can I buy Sea bands or Relief bands on the Voyager? I can't seem to find them here.

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to the Bayonne port? I would like to find a place that has a free shuttle to the port.

I'm looking at a three day car rental from Newark airport for $121.00, is this a good price? if so, I will book it right away.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the advice and tips, we booked our cruise (Voyager 9 day western caribbean 10/21 from Bayonne). So excited!!

We booked a guaranteed balcony and i found out we will be directly across from the elevators on the 8th floor. Should I bring earplugs?

When you do the excursions, do you normally book through the ship or do tours through independent companies? I read some good things on the Phil Lafayette company so I was considering their tours for one of the ports, but I'm concerned about things like not making it back to the Voyager in time if there is some kind of delay and not being able to get back on.

I'd like to attend the meet and mingle but I'm a newbie to this board so will it be awkward for me?

Can I buy Sea bands or Relief bands on the Voyager? I can't seem to find them here.

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to the Bayonne port? I would like to find a place that has a free shuttle to the port.

I'm looking at a three day car rental from Newark airport for $121.00, is this a good price? if so, I will book it right away.

Thanks again!

Congratulations on booking that cruise! :) Is that this year or next?

We've had cabins near the elevators before and it's never really been a problem even at night. If you're a light sleeper though, earplugs might be good to have along. I personally sleep like a log on a cruise.

Definitely go to the Meet and Mingle. First thing though, you need a roll call thread on that forum for your sailing. If it's this year, there probably is one going already. If it's next year, it may be a while before one gets started. By posting to a roll call you get to know others who will be on your sailing and at the M&M beforehand. Then you can look forward to meeting people that you've only talked to online.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions. Have a great cruise!

Congrats! We did a GYT balcony for the 10-30 sailing and ended up in about the same location. I was thrilled with that. 8288 I think.

We almost always book excursions on our own. We find them to be less crowded, more relaxing, more enjoyable and less expensive. We have only once had a "close call" with returning to the ship. But, we could have walked and been back in time if the bus didn't show up for our ride back. It was in Barbados. Every other time every company has had us back a couple minutes early not late.

The M&M is a very informal relaxed meeting. You would be very comfortable as a first time cruiser there.

Try Wal-Mart or Target for the bands. I am pretty sure they were sold on the ship too.

About hotel and car rental, can't help you there. We did stay near Bayonne precruise once. Not sure where exactly, but it was a nice area. I wanted to get a roller coaster fix before the cruise, so we headed to Six Flags NJ. It ended up POURING as soon as we got to the park so we turned around and went back to the hotel.

Have a great cruise. We'll be getting on when you get off the ship :)

Bobbie

I can help with the sea bands and the "Meet and Mingle"..

You should be able to buy them in the drug stores. Most of them carry them. I have seen them in strange places in different stores, so if you ask you will find them faster. And yes, I have seen them for sale on the ships I have sailed.

As for the "Meet and Mingle, you just go to the Roll Calls and see if your ship and date are listed. If so check in with them and just say "Hi". That is all it takes to become aquainted. Sign up with RCCL at the top of the page where it says register, and go and have a great time.

That is about all I can help you with, but I am sure others will pop on here to help with other questions.

Enjoy your cruise. ;)

We are on the same cruise you are!!! We just got our documents today - yay!!!!

I see you found us over on Roll Call; definitely sign up for the Meet and Mingle!!

Dorothy in NJ

35 days till our first cruise!!

Voyager of the Seas

10/21/05

I would book private excursions.Check the different ports of call boards and there will be some great links and reccommendations.That way you can read about the different companies and get advice from actual people who have used them.These companies know the cruise schedules and will have you back in time.You are better off booking ahead of time so you have some solid plans.A lot of these companies book up and at the ports only certain ones are right at the piers.

the meet n mingles are a great way to put faces to the people you have chatted with beforehand.I even won the coveted aquamouse at the one last January.Most of the people there have never actually met so it dosn't matter how long you've been on the boards.

Have a great cruise dorothyh and rockster.I am excited for you both taht you're going so soon.

I just registered for the Meet and Mingle, sounds like a lot of fun.

Bobbie0253, do you usually book in advance, or can you just get off the ship and find a company and sign up?

We usually find one in advance on the internet. Haven't had a bad excursion yet. Well except the KonTiki Party in St. Thomas....ship sponsored and not my idea of fun. Oh well!

:)Bobbie

Archived