Itineray Suggestions - Alaska

TamaLee

We sailed the Radiance of the Seas the end of May from Vancouver to Anchorage. I thought I would share what we did in each port to help those who might be undecided

Ketchikan - We took the local silver line bus out to Totem Bight state park. The bus is $2 per person for an all day pass. The bus does a loop around Ketchikan so you can see Totem Bight, Saxman AND downtown for just $2 per person. Great way to spend the day. Both Totem Bight and Saxman are very interesting. You can pick up the bus near where the ships dock.

Icy Straight - We did the bear watch tour with Misty Bay Lodge. While we only saw one bear it was a nice excursion. Would I do it again? Probably not. Icy Straight is a perfect walk from where the ship docks into town. The town is very small but fun to have a look around.

Juneau - If you have the time book the Tracy Arm tour with Adventure Bound. Don't even think twice. Book it NOW! This was the most incredible thing I've done in my 50+ years on this earth. We saw so many animals and got so close to the glacier. We spent 90 minutes about 100 yards from the glacier and saw some incredible calving. Do NOT miss this opportunity.

Skagway - We took the round trip offered by RCCL on the White Pass train. If you take this tour sit on the left side on your way out. While you switch sides of the train on the way back so everyone gets a chance to see the sites it's much more fun on the way up while the guide is describing everything. The point it out again on the way back but it lacks some of the excitement.

We missed Hubbard Glacier due to a terrible storm but that's a whole different story.

We finished our cruise in Seward and took the RCCL/Alaska railroad into Anchorage. I recommend the train over the bus. Beautiful views an the guides are very informative. The train drops you off right at the airport.

Happy to answer any questions.