Epic birthday dinner

liberty64

Last year we were on the Epic for a January birthday in the MDR. Then on the Getaway for an October birthday at Cagney's. Both times we let the staff know ahead of time. They bring a nice cake for the table and of coarse sing. It was festive.

We also got the birthday decorations for the cabin they did as a suprise while we were out.

Has anyone booked a speciality restaurant for a birthday celebration. Wonder what your experiences are and any recommendations if any. Am not fussy with regards food, will try anything.

Thanks

I'm curious to know as well. I'm booked on the Gem for my birthday, and I hope NCL celebrates in style!

OK, thanks, so looks like I would have to let them know beforehand.

Was on a cruise once on another line and all it took was the keycard when ordering drinks at dinner for them to bring a cake and sing Happy Birthday!

I have a vague recollection of being asked if there was a birthday or anniversary being celebrated when booking. That might not get you anything though.

Our next cruise will be to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, although it will come 5 months late due to work commitments. I will make reservations for a specialty restaurant one night and be sure to mention the anniversary when doing so.

Here's what I did to make my husband's b-day special. I ordered a b-day cake online to be delivered to our suite the first day of the cruise. It was chocolate mousse - his favorite. So he dug in that night after dinner. His b-day was Thursday, so I mentioned to our butler that his b-day was Thursday and the butler brought a cake to our cabin. That night we ate at Ocean Blue. I mentioned to the maitre'd that it was my husband's b-day and they brought him another chocolate cake. 3 cakes for 1 birthday! Not a bad haul! NCL also has b-day decorations packages, but my husband doesn't like that sort of thing, so I didn't do it.

In regards to the specialty restaurants, the two most romantic on Epic are Cagney's and Le Bistro. However, if you are in a group, Teppanyaki might be a nice "event" type place for celebrating the birthday.

Cagney's is a steakhouse. Book Cagney's if you like steak and simple grilled type foods.

Le Bistro is French. They also have some great steak as well as other traditional French dishes - nothing too fancy. Book Le Bistro if you want more of a date night type restaurant.

Teppanyaki is like Benihana. It is fun when you have a group of people because it is like dinner and a show.

La Cucina is supposed to be some sort of Italian. I tried it once and was not a fan, so I have not tried it recently.

Moderno is the Brazilian barbecue place. It has a massive and great salad bar and then they serve you many types of meat, chicken and fish, even sausages - as much as you want. Overall, NCL does a good job with this restaurant and it is similar to Fogo de Chao - which was the first and is still the best Brazilian BBQ place in the US. If you have a big appetite, this is THE place to go as it is all you can eat and you can eat yourself into oblivion. I have to pace myself and only eat a few choice pieces of the types of protein on offer otherwise I'd be overwhelmed. My favorite is the fillet mignon. Be careful about the little Pao de Queijo (cheese bread) you can really spoil your dinner with these and they are great!

Would you be more specific please - how far ahead? Can it be done before sailing? Did you talk to the reservation desk?

I let the MTD in the restaurant know at Cagney's and the MDR. I remember on RCL Allure in the Brazilian restaurant they didn't know there was a birthday until the end of the meal with the Room card scan. They hurried to sing the happy birthday song and bring a cake. I think you can put it in the on line planning. I wonder who looks at that?

We bought the cabin decorations from NCL website under gifts. Our steward helped to see the room was decorated while we were out as a surprise. So that was a nice touch too.