Question on "social" media

isladonna

Maybe they should also remind people not to post on FB that you are on a cruise! Nothing like advertising the house is empty for a week. Someone might get home to find that their house has been broken into because someone on FB saw they were out of town! :eek:

As a rule of thumbs, I don't usually befriend criminals on Facebook :p good reason not to post things publicly on FB though, definitely restrict to "friends only"

On top of the connection instructions posted earlier, if you are worried about data charges, on Android devices you should (before going into airplane mode) go into your data usage settings and turn OFF mobile data. This turns of the cellular network data (you could still make cell phone calls and text in this mode) and then once you go into airplane mode the only way you can get internet access is to go through WiFi and the ship's network. And if Airplane mode accidently gets turned off, you won't get a burst of cell data access with your phone trying to sync email and such through the cell system.

I am sure there is a similar setting for iPhones

And to answer the original question, yes you can use Facebook and Facebook messenger through the Social Media package.

Never mind, found it.

The following ships are offering the NEW internet plans. We aim to complete the rest of the North American fleet by the end of 2015. Other ships not listed here still have 'by-the-minute' plans.

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Elation

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Pride

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Victory

Just a little secret ***shhhhh****

I have found that several Google applications (Gmail the most important) work great on both Airplane and Cruise WiFi without purchasing a plan. I am not sure if it still works now with the new internet system they have, but worth checking if that is all you need.

This article is about airline WiFi, but seems to apply to cruise ship WiFi as well...

http://maphappy.org/2014/10/what-you-can-access-without-paying-for-in-flight-wi-fi/

How does this work for the gmail?

How does this work for the gmail?

For me it was just a matter of having my phone connect to the WiFi but not following through with purchasing a plan. My phone started trying to check for new messages and the Gmail features just worked. My phone was in airplane mode and was not using cellular data.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does the video chat feature on FB Messenger work with the social plan? If not, does anyone know what my options are to be able to video chat with my kids (4 & 6) via FB Messenger video chat or Skype? Thanks!

The social plan didn't work for video. I read about spotty results for the top tier plan with video chatting.

The only plan that includes video is the top tier.

The social plan didn't work for video. I read about spotty results for the top tier plan with video chatting.

Thank you both. Maybe on port days I'll be able to find WiFi and video chat with them.

How do you go about purchasing as well as authorizing your device with this service?

On the Hub App, there is a section for logging in to the internet that will prompt you to purchase a plan. It's quite straightforward once you get to see it. You log in with your folio number. I gave my daughter my folio number so that she could log in on her phone. We shared one plan (one at a time).

I haven't seen how you log in to a device that does not have an app. I assume there is a website that you can access to log in and I would bet you use your folio number. Maybe someone will tell us what that looks like.