Honeymoon Cruise Help

shainky84

t_car,

Thanks for your wonderful and great suggestions! You are definitely do the comparative research I need to do in order to price out our pre-cruise stay on our own vs. booking through Celebrity.

Both hotels you suggest look great, and I've added them to our notes. Your hotel is certainly MUCH more luxurious than the 1 star would suggest, but I'm inclined to opt for your sister's for this trip; it just seems a little nicer for a honeymoon. But I think we'd be very happy with either one!

I suspect it's too early to book tickets for next summer now, but we will probably do that well in advance of our trip. Makes much more sense than waiting in line in the hot summer sun! Love the idea of taking time to just wander around on our own, in areas most tours don't visit. As long as it's safe, I think that this is best way to get an authentic experience. We'd much rather eat dinner at a hole in a wall sort of place than the popular restaurant everyone goes to!

Not sure about transfer yet. Need to price things out, see what's included with what packages and so forth. Not really knowing how safe, reliable, and efficient the mass transit system in Rome is, it's hard to say what we'd prefer to do. I'm also thinking about using the trains, which could be packed with commuters, and all of luggage might be more hassle than we want to do deal with. But that still might be better that a car service and then sitting in traffic! Lots of things to still consider.

Thanks,

Barry

t_car,

Thanks for your wonderful and great suggestions! You are definitely do the comparative research I need to do in order to price out our pre-cruise stay on our own vs. booking through Celebrity.

Both hotels you suggest look great, and I've added them to our notes. Your hotel is certainly MUCH more luxurious than the 1 star would suggest, but I'm inclined to opt for your sister's for this trip; it just seems a little nicer for a honeymoon. But I think we'd be very happy with either one!

I suspect it's too early to book tickets for next summer now, but we will probably do that well in advance of our trip. Makes much more sense than waiting in line in the hot summer sun! Love the idea of taking time to just wander around on our own, in areas most tours don't visit. As long as it's safe, I think that this is best way to get an authentic experience. We'd much rather eat dinner at a hole in a wall sort of place than the popular restaurant everyone goes to!

Not sure about transfer yet. Need to price things out, see what's included with what packages and so forth. Not really knowing how safe, reliable, and efficient the mass transit system in Rome is, it's hard to say what we'd prefer to do. I'm also thinking about using the trains, which could be packed with commuters, and all of luggage might be more hassle than we want to do deal with. But that still might be better that a car service and then sitting in traffic! Lots of things to still consider.

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Barry,

Both hotels I mentioned are a couple of blocks from each other.

One particular restaurant which we totally enjoyed in the area is called "La Forchetta d'oro", italian for the golden fork. I'm sure it's on google. Small intimate family restaurant, awesome food, right in the neighbourhood.

I did not use tour guide books. There is a wealth of information on the internet, including maps, apps for phone or tablet (I invested in one, and was worth it). Google Earth and YouTube a wealth of information, not just about Rome, but about what not to wear, and caution to take.

Rome and the trains and the transit system is very safe.

Like all cities in Europe, pickpockets and gypsies are what you need to look out for. Some basic street smarts, and not acting like a typical tourist, and you are fine.

The buses are very crowded and do avoid those. Subways are not too bad, and trains in and out of the city and not crowded at all.

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions very much. That restaurant definitely sounds like it's up our alley.

Glad to know there is lots of information out there in cyberspace. Some research online definitely offers multiple perspectives that you can't find in a tour book.

Glad to know that Rome is like New York. Take normal precautions to notice one's surroundings and such and we'll be fine. We'll certainly consider the trains.

Barry.

Another hotel to check into is Hotel Napoleon. A bit pricier, but very nice.

By the way, if you are thinking of pizza when in Rome, forget it.

I am italian by birth (Sicilian), and appreciate a good pizza. NYC or Chicago, or Toronto yes, Rome not good at all.

for an excellent pizza go to Naples. they do it right. Forgot tbe names of places we were at. The Italy ports board can help you out there.

if you go to Sicily (Messina) try going to Taormina. It's in the foothills of Mt. Etna, and food and pastries there are delish.

Edited by t_car
content

Thanks, I put Napoleon and our list and did some research about it. I appreciate the food advice. We'll save the pizza for Naples and be sure to the pastries in Sicily! My fiancee is a big foodie, so these are VERY appreciated.

Take Care!