NCL SUN Balcony Cabin Upgrades and more

UandMe4Ever

Hi all, We are going on the Sun Oct. '15, for an 11 night Mexican Riveria cruise. We leave from NJ to San Diego and have some questions which I hope can be answered on these boards:

Have they upgraded the BD Balconies with new interactive TV's?

Do they still allow smoking on the pool deck far back port or aft side?

What time are the shows in the theatre and how are they?

How is the MDR food with the new menu's.

Is the ship easy to navigate or ?

If anyone has cruised on here recently (2015), we would greatly appreciate any and all answers, pros and cons. We are just trying to be a bit informed before sailing. Also, if there is anything I haven't mentioned, and it could be important, please feel free to add that in as well.

Thank you for your time and help.

Safe sails to you always. I will look for responses here.

I was on the Sun in May. There was no interactive TV in my BB cabin, so probably not in the BDs either. I'm not sure about the pool deck, but there was smoking on the aft of deck 12 for sure. I can't remember when exactly the shows were, but there were 2 shows most nights. I didn't care for the Sun production crew; the other entertainers were good. It was my first NCL cruise, so I can't compare the menus to the previous ones. I thought they were good, though limited in selection. We had a party of 5, so usually tried most items on the MDR menu. We were in Alaska and I thought the salmon was very good. The ship is on the smaller side, so it was probably easier to navigate than some of the big ships. It was a little difficult to get to the Seven Seas dining room as you could not walk through that deck. Otherwise, I found it pretty easy to get where I was going, as long as I remembered which way to turn from the elevators!

I was on the Sun in May. There was no interactive TV in my BB cabin, so probably not in the BDs either. I'm not sure about the pool deck, but there was smoking on the aft of deck 12 for sure. I can't remember when exactly the shows were, but there were 2 shows most nights. I didn't care for the Sun production crew; the other entertainers were good. It was my first NCL cruise, so I can't compare the menus to the previous ones. I thought they were good, though limited in selection. We had a party of 5, so usually tried most items on the MDR menu. We were in Alaska and I thought the salmon was very good. The ship is on the smaller side, so it was probably easier to navigate than some of the big ships. It was a little difficult to get to the Seven Seas dining room as you could not walk through that deck. Otherwise, I found it pretty easy to get where I was going, as long as I remembered which way to turn from the elevators!

Thanks for your response. One of the reasons we chose the Sun was for it's size. The 2nd was the great itinerary!! We don't need, bells, whistles, water slides, merry-go-rounds in the middle of the ship and so on.

We've been on 3 different NCL ships.. Food is subjective. As long as it's not horrible, it'll do. It will be just DH and myself. I'm sure we'll figure out the ship before we dis-embark...

Thanks again and safe sails to you always. Can't wait to get back to the M.R. Did not see Accapulco nor Maz or Ixtapa last cruise. I love there is an overnight in Cabo.

Thanks for your response. One of the reasons we chose the Sun was for it's size. The 2nd was the great itinerary!! We don't need, bells, whistles, water slides, merry-go-rounds in the middle of the ship and so on.

We've been on 3 different NCL ships.. Food is subjective. As long as it's not horrible, it'll do. It will be just DH and myself. I'm sure we'll figure out the ship before we dis-embark...

Thanks again and safe sails to you always. Can't wait to get back to the M.R. Did not see Accapulco nor Maz or Ixtapa last cruise. I love there is an overnight in Cabo.

Thanks again for the info. I did a google search and it said they have upgraded the TV's in all balconies. Strange, isn't it. maybe not all cabins? we will survive I'm sure!

Thanks again for the info. I did a google search and it said they have upgraded the TV's in all balconies. Strange, isn't it. maybe not all cabins? we will survive I'm sure!

I think they mean that they upgraded to flat screen TV's, but not interactive. I've been on the Sun twice, most recently in May up to Alaska. The Sun is really a beautiful ship. As you said, it's not bells and whistles, simply a classic cruise ship, complete with a full promenade and excellent views all around. The balcony cabins on the Sun are very nice and a good size, but if you can manage an upgrade to a mini suite on the Sun, you will not believe how much nicer it is than the typical NCL minis, that are basically just balcony's with a larger bathroom. As to tips on the ship in general, the Great Outdoors, aft, is a terrific place to have your breakfast and view where you've just been. The Spinnaker Lounge, forward, has terrific vistas of where you are headed. My favorite bar on the ship is the Windjammer. It has a very nice atmosphere and features live music every evening. I hope that you enjoy that Mexican Riviera itinerary and that you do a full review with lots of pictures, because I'm doing the same one in October 2016!:D

BOBg529 -

We are also going to Mexico in October 2016. Would like to compare price quotes with you!

Hi!

Sure. I'm in a category BD balcony on deck 9. Fare is $3180, not including port charges etc. I'm on the October 11 sailing. I took the UBP as my freestyle choice. That fare is including the single supplement, aka: one person pays the price of two, lol. :rolleyes:. How about you?

My husband and I were looking for something special to do for our 25th anniversary, and we decided to do the M.R. back to back on the Jewel. I looked at the 11 day cruise, but it was more expensive doing that than the back to back (14 days total). We have never done that itinerary before, so I really hope we like it. :p