Have a question (theory) about why Carnival has a bad reputation

tripman

There are a few factors that will determine what type of crowd is on a ship.

1st: Time of year. If schools are in session, there will be less kids/college students

2nd: Price. You're obviously going to get a different group of people on a 500 dollar cruise versus a thousand dollar cruise.

3rd: Marketing..Carnival and RCCL obviously market towards a different group of people versus Cunard and Radisson.

Personally, I think January, February is the perfect cruise time...fewer kids, great prices, and just the punch you need for those middle of the winter blues

I've done Carnival and RCCL..and I'd definitely book either again

Having just returned from the Elation I have to say that I was pretty surprised at how "dumpy" most people dressed. Whether or not these people had money or not doesn't matter. Money does not buy class. I would say that at least 80% of the passengers dressed like slobs other than formal night. I have no idea whether or not it being a Carnival cruise had anything to do with it. We did take a Royal Caribbean cruise 2 years ago for a week and it was not like this. Maybe the longer cruise had something to do with it. Don't get me wrong - I love to dress casual and wear my flip flops but most of these people took it way beyond that. JMO

New Fashion Police here? :confused: Maybe you would have enjoyed your cruise more if you had relaxed & enjoyed yourself instead of judging others. :rolleyes:

My sister and I went on a 3 day cruise with RCI 2 years ago. Was with a rather large group...good thing we had to make our own fun. We are early 40's so not looking for too rowdy but would have been nice to find a lively bar. AND there was no 24 hour room service. Carnival has my business forever!!

Been on 5 Carnival cruises now and we really have no reason to go else where. We thoroughly enjoyed all 5. Of course there may a little glich here or there but I seriously subscribe to the theory that your cruise is what you make it. Bad rep? Yes I had one TA tell me we would probably enjoy another line more - she didn't say why, so....Probably because it was more expensive and she would have gotten a bigger commission - who knows and who cares. Looking at the iteneraries one can see that for the most part one is like another or pretty darn close. We are mid 50's and not dead and I have yet to experience this wild partying that is supposed to be the norm. Have seen folks having a good time and have even seen some serious drunks but they weren't bothering anyone. See that on land as well. Can't honestly compare one line to another since we haven't been there but --- we might try another line just for some variety but we find absolutely nothing wrong with Carnival. Those who complain about long lines - have you been anywhere else that a lot of people are present? - like Disney World - stand in lines there too. Chair saving - bet that goes on at other lines as well - according to their boards it does. Guess point is there probably isn't a thing that goes on on a Carnival ship that doesn't happen to some degree or the other on any other line. Some worse some less - End result is if people don't like Carnival I hope they go elsewhere - makes more room for the rest of us. Carnival isn't having any problem filling their ships. Have a great cruise:)

GR

Touche GR1634 - I think some people just don't understand what a great value Carnival is and I too have little reason to go elsewhere. I haven't been on many cruise YET but I haven't run into the kinds of things some of these posters are talking about. The only reason for me to look at another line is embarkation port - Carnival needs more interesting itineraries out of northeastern ports.

we NEVER simply return to CCL. for each cruise we spend well over a month researching ports, ships, amenities, dinning options and bang for the buck.

while I'm certainly open for new lines... ie our last RCI..... it's hard to leave what you've found to be great food and service, clubs that keep going, daytime activities, LARGE cabins... the same ports... a spacious ship.... for MORE MONEY!

Just wish the ships would change their ports.... to do our favorite ships on new itinerays!

sorry, but a carnival follower here (always searching for a better deal, never finding one)

so I haven't found those "rumors" to be true about (excessive) partying, rude passengers, bad food and service to be true...and for ALL dinning nights, the grandeur had the least "dressed" people in the dinning room.

Mind you this is only one ship we've traveled not CCL... but it came up short in our expectations due to some serious over hype we've read on several boards.

Consider giving it a try and form your own opinion... you just maybe able to cruise more often with the price difference:eek:

Archived