Is a rental car in Skagway a good idea?

stacyh270

Thanks, everyone! I've booked the car with Avis and am excited about driving into the Yukon and to Emerald Lake. Our other port days are pretty intensive so I'm hoping this will be a nice enjoyable (a/k/a laid back) adventure :D

With only one trip to Alaska, I'm not an expert by any means, but here are links to two blog posts and LOTS of photos from our day in Skagway last summer. We rented a car from Avis and drove as far as Emerald Lake. Before returning the car, we also stopped at the Gold Rush cemetary outside of Skagway and did the short hike to Reid Falls. The posts should give you an idea of what to expect if you decide to rent a car for the day.

Skagway, Part 1

Skagway, Part 2

As far as meals, we took some snacks with us and then had ice cream for lunch at Carcross. (Hey...you can do that sort of thing when you are on vacation!!) ;)

My suggestion is to download Murray's Guide which is a mile-by-mile guide to the points of interest along the South Klondike Highway. The extensive paid version is only $5.00, but you can also download a shorter free version. We had both but really only used the shorter free guide. Here is a link to the website: Murray's Guide

We were very fortunate to have nice weather and the scenery along the highway was spectacular!!

IMG_0386.JPG

Your pictures are awesome. What zoom did you take your pictures with please?

I agree! Would love to know as well. I'm renting a lens to take with me that goes from 18-300mm. Hoping this will do well. I'd love to have one that went wider on the short end but I only want to take and manage one lens. My other lens that I own don't have the wide of a range in one single lens. Hoping to get a gorgeous shot like that on our drive :)

I agree! Would love to know as well. I'm renting a lens to take with me that goes from 18-300mm. Hoping this will do well. I'd love to have one that went wider on the short end but I only want to take and manage one lens. My other lens that I own don't have the wide of a range in one single lens. Hoping to get a gorgeous shot like that on our drive :)

The majority of my photos were taken with a Canon SX50. This is a "point & shoot" camera but it has a 50x zoom. From what I've read, that is the equivalent of a 1200mm lens. It was wonderful for outdoor shots, but it doesn't do well in low light. I'm not a photographer by any means. Almost all of the shots were taken in "auto" mode.

Having the long zoom in Alaska was really fun since you are often far away from the wildlife. A lot of the time I used the camera as my binoculars!