Freedom, June 20-27, quick review

HTownMC

I don’t have much time, but wanted to offer a brief high-level summary since some of the reviews were helpful to me. I will hang around for a day or 2 in case there are questions and then back to work and planning for our next cruise :-).

Our 9th cruise (5 RCCL, 3 Carnival and 1 Disney)

Wife, 3yr old daughter and I had balcony suite on 7th floor.

2 sons (15 & 18) had their own inside cabin directly across the hall.

Lighthouse Parking Garage in Galveston was perfect. Booked online $65/wk for covered parking. Shuttle was fast. Car was nice and cool when we returned. 2 blocks over and on higher ground in case of a rare flood.

We had priority with suite and FTTF. FTTF was worth every penny. We arrived at port in Galveston around 12:30. Line was VERY long (extended outside the door). So long that you couldn’t see priority line. Don’t stand in line. Politely walked down the right side and you will see priority line. We were through the line and in our room in 20 minutes. FTTF did not help with luggage. We didn’t received luggage until 3:00 (last piece around 4). We complained. They said they got a late start. FTTF helped with guest services (we had had to go about 8 times – never more than 2 people in front).

We had my time dining. We like getting dressed up sometimes so we ate in dining room every night. Food was great most nights. If we didn’t like it, they brought something else. Most people dressed decent for elegant nights, but some still squeezed in with shorts and T-shirt. I think that there is a place for everyone so on those nights if you want to wear shorts and T-shirts I think they should go to the buffet (just my opinion).

I’m not a big buffet person, but everything was nice, clean and fresh when we ate there for breakfast most morning (did the brunch 2 mornings). Slow, but good. I hit the omelet line most mornings.

I had Guy burgers 4 times (very good). Pizza was thin, but very good (I had it twice, boys had it often).

Ship was very clean. Service was great throughout the ship. Evangeline keep suite in excellent condition every day and night.

We purchased the Cabana in Mahogany Bay Roatan. It was well worth the money. Very relaxing. Not crowded.

As soon as we docked in Belize heavy rain/storm came and was expected all day. After about 45 minutes we were leaving for an extra ‘at sea’ day. They credited us port taxes. Didn’t bother me too much. We didn’t have anything planned. Just wanted to see it.

Weather was great in Cozumel. We just got off the ship and did a little local shopping and got back on.

We did a couple of shows. I agree that the playlist productions aren’t as good as the use to be.

Overall the ship was nice, clean with great activities (depending on what you like). We never were board. The boys has lots of fun – basketball, volleyball, karaoke, trivia, ping pong, golf/putt, met lots of new friends, etc. We were never board.

Cruise Director was great.

Carnival Ocean club was very nice and clean, but our daughter preferred to stay with us. We forced her to go a couple of times (2 days for about 2 hours). We watched her on the monitors to make sure she was OK before we left. We had camp phone just in case, but didn’t have to use it.

Line to get off the ship was very long (even with zone 2). We jumped into the separate porter line and moved a little faster.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry but I have not cruised in about 3 yrs and FTTF is something new to me... can you tell me what that is and approximate cost?

FTTF is $50 per cabin (you do not have to buy it for each person). They are in hot demand, so if you see it available, grab it while you can. It basically lets you cut various lines, have your room ready early, etc.

You can check out my full review here (FTTF is talked about right away)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236932