Are there every big sales or last minute deals?

scrapperluv

I've been watching Disney Cruises for a couple years and never see great discounts. Honestly, we can't afford the going rates so we always end up with Carnival (and love it), but I'd LOVE to take my kids on a Disney cruise while they're still kids! Any suggestions? Thanks!

There are special rates on cruises that are not sold out. These are typically available 60-74 days before embarkation. Look at the DCL web site under "specials," or sign up for the newsletter from a TA who informs you of them. They are *GT bookings which DO come with restrictions. You must make the booking when you contact them (you can't hold a room for 2 or 3 days). You must have all the booking info (names, addresses, birth dates, etc) and pay in full at that time. You get to choose your TYPE of cabin (inside, oceanview, verandah) but not the cabin number. There are NO changes permitted to the reservation. But in exchange for the restrictions, you get a rate that is typically about the same as the day 1 release rate. I've seen some a little lower than day 1, but that is typically a good guess.

And if you get anything other than the lowest priced room in your type, it becomes an even better deal. Example--you can book a VGT rate (verandah). If there are 3 of you, you can be assigned to a cat 7 (lowest price, sleeps only 3) or up to a cat 4. No, they don't use just the "worst" rooms on this deal. But if you get a cat 4 (deluxe family verandah), it's a super deal for the money.

Obviously, these are more common when it is not "high" season.

Please read ALL the regulations for this type of booking before you book it.

Edited by moki'smommy

Best guarantee for the lowest price is the day fares are released. They go up from there with a chance of *gt fares after final payment date. I've looked at a few *gt fares but they were higher than if I had booked on release date.

Edited by dpcmh

How do you know what days the cruises will be released? I'm not savvy about Disney, at all.

Also, we always have to book connecting cabins since our youngest is 6 and we need to have her close by. Carnival doesn't have 1 bedroom cabins, so the best we can do it connecting rooms. We've never been able to nab a last minute deal because we need connecting rooms and they're sold out by then. Nobody sleeps well with all of us in the same room, so we've given up on that option for now.

Does Disney have one bedroom cabins? Or maybe they're gt rates could include cabins that are connecting? Carnival is very limited on how many cabins connect...does Disney have more since they serve families with children?

Thanks SO much!

*GT rates do not allow you to choose your cabin, only cabin type. (oceanview, inside, verandah). So no, you cannot use this option to book connecting cabins. When the release dates will be is a big secret, usually revealed here, to travel agents, etc. only a few days before the dates come out. A good travel agent who specializes in DCL can make you aware of the impending release.

I've seen *GTs a little higher and a little lower than day one rates. But yes, I agree that day one rates are the best IF you know what you want that far in the future.

All DCL ships have one bedroom suites, but these are concierge level cabins that are quite expensive. There are a couple cabins on the Dream and Fantasy that are sometimes referred to as "mini-suites" although DCL doesn't use that term. They have a barrier between the main bed and the living room area (with the other beds). These book quickly, so again, have your TA grab one for you on day 1. This would also give you the advantage on not needing 2 cabins if there are only 4 of you. How many kids are we talking about? That might allow us to give you some ideas.

I don't think I have any amazing answers. The "mini-suite" rooms only sleep 3, so that's out. A one bedroom suite will cost more than connecting rooms. Book as early as you can--prices increase as the ship fills. We've done cruises where embarkation day cost the same as day 1 and other cruises where the rates were increasing every 30 minutes initially. *GTs won't work because they won't guarantee connecting rooms. Sorry no better response.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak to getting a deal but regarding connecting cabins, if you are only traveling with one adult, Disney is a no go.

I sailed on the Getaway with NCL last year, because of this issue. I was traveling alone with my 3 kids (husband was working over their break), and started looking into Disney. However, they, unlike other cruise lines, do not allow minors booked in their own room (even if connecting cabins or close by). I realize you may be traveling with more than one adult, so this may not be an issue for you, but I thought I would mention my experience.

I ended up on NCL because of the ship and because they allowed adjoining balconies, even though my kids were 13, 10, and 8 at the time.

Regarding deals, I would also recommend booking early or guarantee, I have heard Disney once did a kids sail free promotion, but that was apparently, awhile ago!

I feel your pain! I keep checking back also. As of now, I am going on the Dream on a 5 day with my 2 younger kids later this month, but I could get 2 cabins on a 7 day for less on another line! :) But we want to try the Disney experience.

Correct--DCL requires one adult BOOKED in each cabin. They don't care who actually sleeps where.

Since you need connecting cabins, you cannot do a guarantee of any sort. Guarantee status (whether category GTY or *GT) lets them place you in any cabin of the level you booked or nicer. No promise of connecting will work with any guarantee.

I've been watching Disney Cruises for a couple years and never see great discounts. Honestly, we can't afford the going rates so we always end up with Carnival (and love it), but I'd LOVE to take my kids on a Disney cruise while they're still kids! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Florida residents get fantastic deals during shoulder seasons (early Oct through mid December minus thanks giving of course and Mid Jan-late March). I saw $125 per adult/night in the Fantasy, but the dates didn't work out for us. This year since the Dream will be dry docking in October I'm not expecting any deals in that ship maybe until early next year. The best deal we traveled on ~ 3 years ago was $95 per adult/night on a 4-nighter aboard the Dream. Never seen it be that low since, though, usually $115-120. But much like VGTs, they aren't advertised (or available) for summer, thanks giving, Christmas and spring break seasons.