First Time Back to NCL in 9 years - Changes?

miajordyn

Hi all...

I'm a frequent cruiser but stopped cruising on NCL about 9 years ago...just wanted to try out other lines. Anyway... I booked a last minute cruise on the GEM leaving tomorrow so I'm doing my usual research.

This is a very special cruise I was awaiting my partner's 6 month cancer check and just received the all clear so we would like to celebrate! Needless to say no balconies left but we will make the best of it ;)

So what has changed in 9 years?

I did notice room service charge???? Not crazy about that..does anyone have this menu?

Also, any insider GEM tips?( I was on this ship for a 2 nighter- when it was new

Dining room preferences?

Adults only areas? We are going "kid free"

Do they still offer "romance package?" Couldn't find it on website

Thanks and I appreciate any insight

Tara C

There are literally thousands of posts on the room service fee, but wading through them all will make you miss your sail away! So at the risk of incurring the wrath of the partisans here:

1. There is a $7.95 room service fee

2. The fee is waived if you are ordering ONLY the extra charge items on the room service menu (some items carry a charge, and if you have only those on the order they waive the fee).

3. The fee does not apply to "continental breakfast" items on a special portion of the menu between certain morning hours. I believe they are 6 AM to 10:30 AM, but I could be wrong on the specifics.

We have liked O'Sheehans on other ships. It is a complementary restaurant that serves pub food (breakfast, lunch and dinner). The specialty, extra cost restaurants have three perennial favorites, Cagney's Steakhouse, Le Bistro (French but also serves good steak) and Teppanaki (if I spelled that right), one of those Japanese grill restaurants where they throw food at you (something like that).

But the main thing I want to say is congratulations on the 6 months! No matter what, enjoy yourselves and savor each moment.

There are literally thousands of posts on the room service fee, but wading through them all will make you miss your sail away! So at the risk of incurring the wrath of the partisans here:

1. There is a $7.95 room service fee

2. The fee is waived if you are ordering ONLY the extra charge items on the room service menu (some items carry a charge, and if you have only those on the order they waive the fee).

3. The fee does not apply to "continental breakfast" items on a special portion of the menu between certain morning hours. I believe they are 6 AM to 10:30 AM, but I could be wrong on the specifics.

We have liked O'Sheehans on other ships. It is a complementary restaurant that serves pub food (breakfast, lunch and dinner). The specialty, extra cost restaurants have three perennial favorites, Cagney's Steakhouse, Le Bistro (French but also serves good steak) and Teppanaki (if I spelled that right), one of those Japanese grill restaurants where they throw food at you (something like that).

But the main thing I want to say is congratulations on the 6 months! No matter what, enjoy yourselves and savor each moment.

Thank you.... Ok so the blue lagoon (or whatever that was called doesn't exist anymore?) I know I'm dating myself

As for roo. service ok .....we just want our morning coffee and toast

Thank you.... Ok so the blue lagoon (or whatever that was called doesn't exist anymore?) I know I'm dating myself

I think the Blue Lagoon is now O'Sheehans. We like O'Sheehans better, but it is the same type of thing, mostly 24 hours with sandwiches, burgers, fish and chips and a chicken pot pie people rave about (also breakfast).

Coffee is included in the free room service menu. So are some pastries. I can't for the life of me remember if they have regular toast on there.

CONGRATS!!! Go and enjoy--

Great outdoors- aft of the buffet- great place for breakfast--or anytime--with beautiful views.

Blue Lagoon now O'Sheehans--good pub food

Spinnaker lounge- front of ship--also beautiful indoor spot. Good events held there

Forward /Starboard side of ship- 6th floor, great window "cubby" seats, to sit and watch the ocean go pass

Safe sailing

Differences since 2006:

Emergency drills are different: You don't have to bring life-jacket. Instead of all passengers outside on promenade deck, a number of the muster-groups meet in the theater or other inside locations while some groups still meet outside. This keeps us all from fainting from heat and over-crowding at drills.

Free-style dailies less substantive. Not as much preparation in the edition before a port--just ads.

You don't have to run to the Library first thing to snag a good book, because so many people have e-books.

Fewer places where people are smoking.

I think there must be fewer staff or something: I've had many more hit or miss experiences with room stewards; everyone working hard but not always as good as before.

People have learned to jog on the jogging track on the upper deck, so walkers are less endangered on the Promenade deck. No more directional arrows on the Promenade deck (not needed).

The Photo Dept has been redesigned--perhaps someone who uses it more can elaborate.

The specially-marked "Cooking-Light" healthy food items have been dropped. Probably not enough takers.

You can see signs of corner-cutting; not surprising because the fares are still good value (at least for balconies). But food is still fantastic, and all ship staff remarkably friendly and kind. Still a marvelously relaxed, luxurious vacation.

Some ships, such as Jade, still have Blue Lagoon.

When we first started cruising on NCL, cappucino at dinner was complimentary but now there is a charge for it.

No complimentary drinks at sailaway. If you accept a drink they will ask for your shipboard card so the drink can be charged.

Service is still the same wonderful friendly help throughout the ships.

You can get a pastry or muffin with your morning coffee but I don't think toast is a choice anymore.