Handicap accessible tours for Norwegian Gem -help!!

I am treating my parents to 9 night eastern Caribbean cruise for their 50th anniversary. We will be going to San Juan, St Thomas , St Maarten & Tortola. My dad is really having difficulty walking so we've bought a travel wheelchair. Any advice for port tours what to do or not do besides the obvious......

I am treating my parents to 9 night eastern Caribbean cruise for their 50th anniversary. We will be going to San Juan, St Thomas , St Maarten & Tortola. My dad is really having difficulty walking so we've bought a travel wheelchair. Any advice for port tours what to do or not do besides the obvious......

Most of the ship excusions list level of difficulty and provide information about the appropriateness for those with various disabilities. You could also ask at the excursion desk. Since San Juan and St Thomas are a U.S. territories they may have more accessible options, but not sure. I have not done a wheelchair, but we did several with parents with limited walking ability. Most of the bus tours are good choices as long as he can get in and out of the bus.

As an edit, when we were last in Tortola, we had befriended a family whose Mom was in a chair. At least at that port, they got off and walked around. There were a number of shops at the port and close by. It was easier than some for just walking about and they seemed to be able to maneuver with the chair ok. I think there have been some renovations to the port since we were there, so not sure if that changed.

Edited by drvalo

• 1 month later...

Can anyone advise me on how difficult it is to get to the tender boat from the Gem to their private island. I was told it is not handicapped accessible and almost all people who have issues with walking or many steps do not leave the ship. Thanks

Can anyone advise me on how difficult it is to get to the tender boat from the Gem to their private island. I was told it is not handicapped accessible and almost all people who have issues with walking or many steps do not leave the ship. Thanks

This is true.

I use a wheelchair and scooter. Please ask this under the Cruising with Disabilities board. There is more reliable information there. I have learned, though, that private tours are the only way to go. You can email all of them and ask exactly what you need.