El Yunque-Only in port from 1pm-8pm

turbidblue

We're in port in San Juan from 1pm -8pm next Monday on the Sunshine. Originally, we had planned to just walk around Old San Juan, see the forts, and grab a late lunch/early dinner. Now the other adult in my party is dead set on visiting El Yunque. Which I'm not opposed to....I would love to see the rainforest...just not sure about the timing.

With the times we are in port, is this a doable trip? I know it's *at least* a 45 minute drive from port on a good day. We would rather use a local tour rather than book through the ship. My travel partner insists we can just hire a taxi at the port to take us. (She's not big on planning). But from what I have read...this is not the case....they need a 'permit' of some kind to enter the rainforest.

Are there tours/guides at the port that we could book when we arrive? Or would we (I) be better off trying to scramble and book something ahead of time before we start our drive down to port on Thursday?

Thanks for any advice/info anyone can offer!!

~Rebecca

From what I've read on trip advisor and cruise critic, as well as Info I got from calling my hotel concierge in San Juan, there are no taxis to take people to El Yunque because they aren't allowed for some reason. You would have to book with a tour guide, and in your case, because of the distance from the port to the rainforest, I would highly suggest booking through the ship even though I normally would never recommend a ship tour. In this case, because of the risk of being left behind, I'd go with the ship, or do something else that day. You never know how much traffic will be between the rainforest and the port and you have about an hour drive each way. You could get an independent tour operator to take you if you prefer, and I would research trip advisor reviews under "El Yunque Rainforest" to find a recommended operator.

Now the other adult in my party is dead set on visiting El Yunque. Which I'm not opposed to....I would love to see the rainforest...just not sure about the timing.

With the times we are in port, is this a doable trip? I know it's *at least* a 45 minute drive from port on a good day. We would rather use a local tour rather than book through the ship. My travel partner insists we can just hire a taxi at the port to take us. (She's not big on planning).

~Rebecca

Forget taxi. Prohibitively expensive if nothing else. Your options are rent a car, ship's tour, local tour.

The park closes at 6 PM, literally - they shut a gate blocking the road. I doubt if you need to worry about getting to the ship on time, but with travel time and your late arrival a tour might be a better option than rental, due to the extra time at the rental office.

If you had more time I might recommend either renting or a customized local tour, but you're only going to have enough time (2 1/2 to 3 hours) inside the park to hit the usual highlights which any tour would offer.

A tour would probably get you back in time to see a bit of the city and/or grab a bite. It's cooler in the evening. Very scenic town night or day.

I do recommend the rainforest, even for a short visit. It will whet your appetite for more. One day you might want to cruise out of San Juan and spend a few days on the island. It's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would consider renting a car. The park will give you a map of the rainforest when you get there. It is cheap to get in. The only problem is the extra time it will take to rent the vehicle. But it would only be the cost of the vehicle plus the park entrance fee to go. And two hours is enough tiem to get a taste of the rainforest. However, OSJ is a beautiful place so you might want to stay and walk around.

• 3 weeks later...
Lard Greystoke - Can you recommend or do you know of any local tour operators that have tours to El Yunque rainforest?

I'm afraid not. The only local tours I've gone on are the ones arranged through the cruise line. When I have time I go on my own.

Although I prefer renting a car and spending the day there, I will still book a half-day tour off the ship if it's convenient. I just like El Yunque.

Lard Greystoke - Can you recommend or do you know of any local tour operators that have tours to El Yunque rainforest?

I did a private tour and hiked to la mina with Island marketing. They had pretty good guides:-)

contact Ellis. We have used him twice and highly recommend him. You can email him at fleisherellis@aol.com

He is also on Craigslist http://puertorico.en.craigslist.org/trv/5127056875.html

We were already booked with Ellis for the day but just recently he told us that he wants to change our itinerary. He said that the rainforest is getting too crowded so he wants to take us to another place instead. So now I am scrambling around looking for other options.

We were already booked with Ellis for the day but just recently he told us that he wants to change our itinerary. He said that the rainforest is getting too crowded so he wants to take us to another place instead. So now I am scrambling around looking for other options.

I am booked with Ellis and also received notice of the change. I asked a lot of questions about the new itinerary, wanting to make sure that I was still going to have a great experience. Here is just a small excerpt from his emails to me...

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/charco-frio-tinajas

El Yunque is the name of one of the mountains in the rain forest. There are 28,000 acres and other mountains. There are many other places. Its become very crowded between the La Mina trail ant the roads have become very congested and dangerous. I like give my clients a great experience. So that's why I've made the change in my tour. I don't think you will be disappointed and will experience a unique experience. Check the link above and you will get an idea to one of the experiences.

Ellis

I read the author's review (not an Ellis customer, granted), watched the you tube video, and was sold.

I am booked with Ellis and also received notice of the change. I asked a lot of questions about the new itinerary, wanting to make sure that I was still going to have a great experience. Here is just a small excerpt from his emails to me...

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/charco-frio-tinajas

El Yunque is the name of one of the mountains in the rain forest. There are 28,000 acres and other mountains. There are many other places. Its become very crowded between the La Mina trail ant the roads have become very congested and dangerous. I like give my clients a great experience. So that's why I've made the change in my tour. I don't think you will be disappointed and will experience a unique experience. Check the link above and you will get an idea to one of the experiences.

Ellis

I read the author's review (not an Ellis customer, granted), watched the you tube video, and was sold.

I also got the email from Ellis regarding the changes. I asked him if we would be able to swim in rivers, streams and waterfalls, his response was yes to all.

I actually prefer avoiding the crowds and chaos so I welcome the itinerary change.

I also got the email from Ellis regarding the changes. I asked him if we would be able to swim in rivers, streams and waterfalls, his response was yes to all.

I actually prefer avoiding the crowds and chaos so I welcome the itinerary change.

Same here. I'm very pleased with the change.

Check out my response to a similar concern here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2249471

I was at El Yunque twice this summer. Yes some parts near the main "attractions" get congested at certain times when ships (especially if more than one) are in port due to sheer tourist volume. Roads are NOT dangerous at all in the mountain. Maybe not the best conditions, yes (road maintenance in a rain forest is not an easy chore) but far from dangerous. I'm digging around about this issue so I'll let you guys know.

Check out my response to a similar concern here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2249471

I was at El Yunque twice this summer. Yes some parts near the main "attractions" get congested at certain times when ships (especially if more than one) are in port due to sheer tourist volume. Roads are NOT dangerous at all in the mountain. Maybe not the best conditions, yes (road maintenance in a rain forest is not an easy chore) but far from dangerous. I'm digging around about this issue so I'll let you guys know.

I've visited rain forests in Central America several times and would say that the roads are not really bad. Not quite up to US standard but not dangerous condition wise.

If you learn any new info please keep us posted. I'll be doing my tour with Ellis in a couple weeks.

BTW, how is the water flow in EL Yunque considering the drought?

Thx

I've visited rain forests in Central America several times and would say that the roads are not really bad. Not quite up to US standard but not dangerous condition wise.

If you learn any new info please keep us posted. I'll be doing my tour with Ellis in a couple weeks.

BTW, how is the water flow in EL Yunque considering the drought?

Thx

Talked to a family member who drives taxis and he told me that taxis ARE allowed in El Yunque, contrary to popular belief (mine included). All taxis, tour van and buses must have a permit (renewable yearly) to get into National Park-controlled areas of the rain forest. Without it, they get a hefty fine. Trust me Park rangers are very apprehensive about this. Second factor is cost. Taxis coming to/from the piers are better served by a few "short" trips in the San Juan metro area than one long trip to el Yunque. To take a taxi to the forest would mean you hire one for the day and that would cost a whole bunch ($36 per hour+tolls paid) and you will spend at least 3.5-4hrs on your trip.

The drought has affected some parts of El Yunque more than others. The Coca falls vary from a few thin lines of water to some more volume if it's been raining some upstream. La Mina falls have seemingly been less affected since both times I visited during the summer, water flow was good and the falls looked good.

I was just here 2 weeks ago and as a previous poster mentioned, the drought has affected La Coca Falls (it was a one thin line drizzle down a huge wet rock & didn't resemble a waterfall at all), but the La Mina falls, the one where people like to swim, was ok. However, it was really crowded (not a cruise ship day but it was a weekend) and people weren't being super polite about taking turns for pictures so we didn't even bother to get in, but we climbed around the rocks a bit. It's a nice leisurely walk (I wouldn't call it a hike at all) and its shaded the whole way as well as paved, so once you find parking (probably the biggest hassle), you will have a nice day.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

There is a possible TS/Hurricane headed in your direction. You may get more rain than you bargained for.

If it does make its way to PR around this weekend, what could I expect a couple weeks later when my ship vists PR?

Let's see if it makes it here. This systems usually have their sights on PR and decide to move at the last minute, usually northward. You shouldn't expect much to change unless it really hits hard the power distribution system. Maybe a visit to El Yunque would be out of the question for a few months after it hits but if you stay in the San Juan area you'd be OK. Nowadays a lot of commercial places have either a cistern or a power plant or both. Wouldn't be surprised if fast food joints opened before they even finish cleaning up the roads.

Stinger-pr: I will be in San Juan in Nov on NCL Gem from 8am-5pm. I am also interested in visiting El Yunque rainforest. Do you know if we can hire a taxi at the port to take us? Or do we need to book with a local tour operator. Any thoughts/tips is appreciated.

Talked to a family member who drives taxis and he told me that taxis ARE allowed in El Yunque, contrary to popular belief (mine included). All taxis, tour van and buses must have a permit (renewable yearly) to get into National Park-controlled areas of the rain forest. Without it, they get a hefty fine. Trust me Park rangers are very apprehensive about this. Second factor is cost. Taxis coming to/from the piers are better served by a few "short" trips in the San Juan metro area than one long trip to el Yunque. To take a taxi to the forest would mean you hire one for the day and that would cost a whole bunch ($36 per hour+tolls paid) and you will spend at least 3.5-4hrs on your trip.

The drought has affected some parts of El Yunque more than others. The Coca falls vary from a few thin lines of water to some more volume if it's been raining some upstream. La Mina falls have seemingly been less affected since both times I visited during the summer, water flow was good and the falls looked good.

Stinger-pr: I will be in San Juan in Nov on NCL Gem from 8am-5pm. I am also interested in visiting El Yunque rainforest. Do you know if we can hire a taxi at the port to take us? Or do we need to book with a local tour operator. Any thoughts/tips is appreciated.

Yes you can hire a taxi at the port at a $36 per hour rate like I stated plus tips plus all tolls on the way ($3 each way I think) and more than likely taxi drivers will say no since they make way less money on this long trip than on a few short ones in the area. There will be operators at the por you can hire as well and you might have better luck there.

• 4 weeks later...

We just did Tour with Ellis's new itinerary in EL Yunque and it was fabulous.

Ellis told us that La Mina had become so congested that wait times and space to enter the pool were ridiculous.

He prides himself on showing you the "Real Puerto Rico" so he to stays away from tourist traps. He has a new location for access the river (Charco Frio) and it was spectacular. Lots of open space, waterfall with a large pool, ropes to swing into the water. We loved it. He can cater your trip to most anything you want to see/do dependent on time.

I highly recommend it.

We just did Tour with Ellis's new itinerary in EL Yunque and it was fabulous.

Ellis told us that La Mina had become so congested that wait times and space to enter the pool were ridiculous.

He prides himself on showing you the "Real Puerto Rico" so he to stays away from tourist traps. He has a new location for access the river (Charco Frio) and it was spectacular. Lots of open space, waterfall with a large pool, ropes to swing into the water. We loved it. He can cater your trip to most anything you want to see/do dependent on time.

I highly recommend it.

Thank you so much for sharing this review of Ellis's new rainforest tour. Looking forward to experiencing it myself in February!