Formal Night Dress - Westbound TA September 2015

Tarnished45

Hi, 2 of us (adults only) are sailing in September on the Westbound TA.

On the formal nights how many men are likely to wear tuxedos from your experience? i.e. If we did would we feel like 'odd ones out' ???

You will see some, possibly some Military Dress uniform, mostly suits and or just a shirt and tie, and some that look like they are on their way to McDonalds.

Being a longer cruise without as many kids helps, but given most will have flown over to Europe, and possibly vacationed in a summer location, I would think a nice suit is the way to go if you would feel uncomfortable being in a select few wearing a tux.

ex techie

On the TA cruises, the dress is generally better than on the standard 7 night cruise. However, by that I mean that you will not see nearly as many people in jeans and what I consider to be undershirts. And yes, I've seen that on formal night.

There will be a few guys in tux and military dress uniforms. Most guys will wear a suit or a sports jacket. Some will be in a shirt and tie. And a few will look like (I just deleted my first word choice and am searching for a more socially acceptable one.)

You won't be out of place regardless of your choice--others will have made a similar choice. And, while I'm sure you don't really care, this lady thinks that guys in tux are hot.

But, only fair to say that I don't do a full blown ball gown. I'm more into the cocktail dress variety. (easier to pack and maintain)

My personal philosophy has always been that it is better to be overdressed than underdressed. Nobody ever felt bad about themselves by looking good. Plus, what Partner (of either gender) isn't going to feel better about themselves walking next to a guy in a tux.

And let's be honest (for all the female readers on CC) I'm willing to wager that in the last 50 years, there isn't a man in a tuxedo who hasn't walked by a mirror, done a quick turn to look into it, and then made "finger guns", pretending to be James Bond. Every time I wear a tux, my wife knows that she is going to be referred to as Moneypenny the whole evening.

That being said, while I did pack and wear my tux on our first Disney cruise, given that we had Palo and Remy reservations booked on our second cruise, I left the tux at home and just packed a suit and ties. That decision had more to do with not wanting to pay extra baggage fees, than not wanting to wear my tux.

And now 4 paragraphs into this response, let me answer your question - my best guess of what percentage of male passengers wore a tux on Formal Night of the two 7 nighters I've been on, is probably 10-15 percent. 25% wore suits. 25% wore sport coats. And the balance were men in a dress shirt (with or without a tie) or other casual clothing.

As a youngish cruiser I had an on topic question. I dress nice, although this almost always includes black jeans instead of slacks, sports jacket, button up collared solid color shirt, dress boots and rarely a tie. Every cruise I have taken has never had a real solid formal night so I wonder if people just won't get it and think "ah slob in his 30's," thoughts?

As a youngish cruiser I had an on topic question. I dress nice, although this almost always includes black jeans instead of slacks, sports jacket, button up collared solid color shirt, dress boots and rarely a tie. Every cruise I have taken has never had a real solid formal night so I wonder if people just won't get it and think "ah slob in his 30's," thoughts?

You will be more dressed up than a good percentage of your fellow passengers. The bar is pretty low on a Disney cruise, and anything more formal than jean shorts for guys and sweat pants with 'juicy' across the rear for women, and you'll be just fine (and quite frankly, you'll see lots of those as well).

You will be more dressed up than a good percentage of your fellow passengers. The bar is pretty low on a Disney cruise, and anything more formal than jean shorts for guys and sweat pants with 'juicy' across the rear for women, and you'll be just fine (and quite frankly, you'll see lots of those as well).

Ha, got it, thanks for the response.

I found more people dressed up more for the Med cruise than for any of the Caribbean cruises. This may have changed and may also depend on the one factor none of us can change, who else is cruising with you.

Do what you feel comfortable with, I take ball gown type dresses that are easy to pack because I love to dress up and don't otherwise get occasion to do so. This being said, I am sailing on a 14 day cruise in October, here I come panama, and am debating about packing formal formal wear, simply because of the length of cruise, I may lean more cocktail.

We were on the ebta and will be on the wbta 2016. Dh wore a dark suit for both the formal nights and Palo. I wore a long gown the first formal night, a knee length black dress for the second formal night, and a dressy wrap dress for Palo. I will probably pack the exact same for next time.