Trying to Outline--Millennium Alaska 6/6 to 6/21 2015

lovetotraveltx

Part 1 Land tour, June 6 through 12, 2015

We've been back almost 3 weeks and I haven't had time to write a trip report or post any pictures. Since we are in the heart of the Alaska season now, I wanted at least try to write some pros/cons/pointers. Feel free to ask away.

We did Cruisetour 5B which was 5 nights pre cruise. Then 7 nights southbound. We also did 2 nights in vancouver before flying back.

Flights from Houston aren't great and we had a connection so we decided to get in the night before meeting our cruisetour. We booked a night on our own in the Downtown Anchorage Marriott and they were able to keep us in the same room for Sunday night our first night with Celebrity.

We rented a car at the anchorage airport, pre painless but no quick pickup for preferred or anything. Drove to downtown. Quite close. Got up fairly early to leave Anchorage and tour on our own.

Got buffet vouchers because my husband is Platinum but had to pay $4 each for the full buffet. No big deal but never saw this.

Headed first to the Wildlife Conservation center. Stopped several times for views/photos along the way. Really enjoyed it. Spent hours. Then lunch at Chair 5 in Girdwood. OK bar food, but horrible, long wait. Then we ran to the Portage Glacier Cruise tour. Really enjoyed this. Got close to the Glacier and lots of great photos.

Stopped at Walmart on way out and Target on way back for little things we forgot and water bottles.

Husband dropped me at Marriott to return Avis car downtown. Walked back!

Met with our land tour director, Leigh that evening. Finally got our itinerary for land trip and 2 types of luggage tags. Upgraded to TWT and booked cabin nites at this time.

Headed to Simon and Seafort's for first of 3 anniversary dinners. Had reserved from home. It was awesome! Walking distance which was also great!

Had to have bags out at 6:00 and be in lobby by 7:20.

Took Wilderness express train to Talkeetna. Nice ride, great breakfast, people, views...

Were dropped off in Talkeetna until 3. Then returned to 1st lodge to get room keys. We loved the food and quaintness of the town. Also loved the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. Great views but no mountain. Awesome lobby, porch, etc. Took free shuttle back to town for dinner. Lunch Wildflower cafe--awesome and Denali brewing for appetizers and West Rib for King Crab. Best, I've ever had and very reasonable for Alaska!

Our room was big and nice. Great toiletries. No A/C and our room was extremely warm. Also, did not enjoy parking lot view :(

Leisurely morning. Later departure, I think 11:30 to head for Denali. We did great free nature walk through the hotel that morning. Wonderful informative guide!

Horrible traffic and got in to Denali quite late. About an hour in town and drop off at Denali Park Village. Didn't care for this lodge at all. No free shuttle, very small, no fridge, no bath towels, luckily I saw and called down. Only 1 cafeteria style restaurant. About 7 - 9 miles from Glitter Gulch. Loved the view though from our room. Pretty river views from room, restaurant and back deck. Luckily we booked Cabin Nites for 1st night. Enjoyed the food and really liked the show. Sat with some nice people from our cruisetour.

Next day, 7:30 meet up in lobby for TWT. Much better and easier than we expected. Kind of dreading 8 hours in bus and port a potties. But, had a wonderful day. Saw so many animals!

Checked out at I believe 8:30 for last full day and night in Alaska. Easier traffic this time. Not too delayed in to Anchorage for lunch. Ate at Humpy's wouldn't recommend! Then to the best hotel by a long shot, Alyeska Resort. So beautiful. The lobby, rooms, view, tram up the mountain were all breath taking. Chocolates on the pillows, water bottles, whole bit! Had reservations for seven glaciers. Worth every penny.

Bus left I think 11?? For Seward and the sea life center. Enjoyed views on ride and sea life center but anxious for Cruise at this point.

Cannot say enough good things about Celebrity's land tour. Our guide Leigh was with us every minute. Although we had an itinerary she filled us in every day and changed and updated as necessary. Never stopped smiling or lost patience. We couldn't have done it either without Hannah, a very sweet and highly qualified bus driver. Helped us with our extra carryon, she let us store under the bus every morning. :) They were a great team and made our trip.

Although the information given before arriving in Alaska leaves much to be desired the trip once there is night and day. Very well done/well planned. If they can change out Denali Park Village, and give everyone views, (which should be standard with Celebrity's costs), the tour would be just about perfect!

Get to the rest as soon as I can!

In May we are doing the cruise first and then doing the Grand Heartlands 6 night tour that ends in Fairbanks. I know what the TWT is but what is Cabin Nites? Glad to hear you thought the tour was well run - this will be our first ever Cruise Tour.

First I want to thank you for posting details.:) I have found it difficult to find this information and you reference several things that I have added to my info spreadsheet (when, what , where, how much, etc)

We are cruising northbound from Vancouver, 7 nights cruise on Millie then 6 nights land tour. I am very comfortable with plans & information for the cruise portion...but MANY concerns and info gaps about the land portion.

Did anyone in your group do "private tours" while on the land portion of the tour (during any optional downtime). Would appreciate any details you can provide.

Please tell me more about the luggage restrictions and how you were able to have an additional carry-on. We typically place our required medical equipment in our carry-ons. Trying to determine how to manage this...

First I want to thank you for posting details.:) I have found it difficult to find this information and you reference several things that I have added to my info spreadsheet (when, what , where, how much, etc)

We are cruising northbound from Vancouver, 7 nights cruise on Millie then 6 nights land tour. I am very comfortable with plans & information for the cruise portion...but MANY concerns and info gaps about the land portion.

Did anyone in your group do "private tours" while on the land portion of the tour (during any optional downtime). Would appreciate any details you can provide.

Please tell me more about the luggage restrictions and how you were able to have an additional carry-on. We typically place our required medical equipment in our carry-ons. Trying to determine how to manage this...

Personally, I wouldn't plan ahead of time on private tours. The guide will work with you even last minute before getting in to a hotel or town Or, once you get to Talkeetna and/or Denali there are stands or buildings offering all kinds of tours. Our schedule changed at the last minute and the lst Denali day we were in about 2.5 hours of traffic.

Celebrity doesn't restrict luggage whatsover. You can have as many and they can weigh whatever! You just have to follow your airline rules. We had 3 checked suitcases for our 16 day trip. I'm a horrible packer. One we tagged for storage and didn't need until ship the other two we had with us and went under the bus and arrived inside our room and you need to put them outside your room at certain times on moving days. You never have to handle your own checked luggage.

On the plane we had two carry ons a small wheeled duffle and backpack. For the entire trip we always had the backpack with us on the bus with all our electronics, alaska information, money, etc. The wheeled duffle we kept with us until bus boarding time and then the driver put it under the bus. The first day we waited for it and took it off the bus. After that she offered to tag it and it arrived with our big bags. This allowed us to put our toiletries, a few clothes items, etc. in there after the time the bags were set outside.

Because, sometimes the bags had to be out at 6:00 am but us much later.

Personally, I wouldn't plan ahead of time on private tours. The guide will work with you even last minute before getting in to a hotel or town Or, once you get to Talkeetna and/or Denali there are stands or buildings offering all kinds of tours. Our schedule changed at the last minute and the lst Denali day we were in about 2.5 hours of traffic.

Celebrity doesn't restrict luggage whatsover. You can have as many and they can weigh whatever! You just have to follow your airline rules. We had 3 checked suitcases for our 16 day trip. I'm a horrible packer. One we tagged for storage and didn't need until ship the other two we had with us and went under the bus and arrived inside our room and you need to put them outside your room at certain times on moving days. You never have to handle your own checked luggage.

On the plane we had two carry ons a small wheeled duffle and backpack. For the entire trip we always had the backpack with us on the bus with all our electronics, alaska information, money, etc. The wheeled duffle we kept with us until bus boarding time and then the driver put it under the bus. The first day we waited for it and took it off the bus. After that she offered to tag it and it arrived with our big bags. This allowed us to put our toiletries, a few clothes items, etc. in there after the time the bags were set outside.

Because, sometimes the bags had to be out at 6:00 am but us much later.

The luggage issue is a huge relief to me. I don't mind having a suitcase with evening clothes packed and not see again until Fairbanks. But the info relieves my worries. Thank you!

Disappointing to learn that the Denali Lodge is still not up to par. They changed management last year according to Trip Advisor with promises to improve many of the issues that caused guests to be dissatisfied.

Cabin Nites sounds like an option. Do you recall the price/person?

The luggage issue is a huge relief to me. I don't mind having a suitcase with evening clothes packed and not see again until Fairbanks. But the info relieves my worries. Thank you!

Disappointing to learn that the Denali Lodge is still not up to par. They changed management last year according to Trip Advisor with promises to improve many of the issues that caused guests to be dissatisfied.

Cabin Nites sounds like an option. Do you recall the price/person?

Off the top of my head, $67 per person